burning smell [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: burning smell

RebellionInd
01-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I was going home after work yesterday and stopped at a stoplight and could begin to smell a burnt rubber smell which I thought was coming from the Ford Taurus I was behind since I smelled it when stopped behind this vehicle through the next series of lights. But then I turned off and I could smell it at the next stop sign however more faint. I reallly can't tell where the smell is coming from, I stopped and opened the hood and didn't see any smoking anywhere or damage to the serpentine belt (FYI it was windy and 2 degrees out so I couldn't really rely on my nose). Anyway the vehicle has 24,000 miles and had a oil change 800 miles ago, so it isn't an issue related to new parts heating up and paint baking and I can't imagine that if there was oil spilt during the last oil change it would still be buring off.

Anyone else with a similar issue? I have only drove 10 miles since I first smelled it and now I am getting a cold so I can't smell anything, I guess I will get the wife out there to see if I am crazy before I take it to the dealer.

HueyPilotVN
01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Maybe it was a brake smell. The disc might have been hot if you did some quick stops or if you ride the brake pedal. Just an idea.

Yeggster
01-17-2009, 09:01 PM
That's funny ... I had this guy try to race me at the light yesterday (my first one with the Commander) and I didn't notice until we were going like 20 MPH

I had to get into the left turn lane at the next light so I matted it to get ahead of him... his car looked like it got chained to a fence post :)

Anyway, when I got to the job at futre shop I noticed a similar smell ... were you driving quickly at the time?

a49erFan
01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Check and see if it is coming from the plastic in the heater duct. That has been discussed in another thread.

CanadianCommander
01-18-2009, 12:58 AM
hmmmm did you have the floor heater on?

RebellionInd
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
To answer all of your questions:

I wasn't doing any quick or hard braking, nor riding the brake.

No hard acceleration either being that the car was stilll warming up from low outdoor temperatures -13 when I parked at work in the morning 2 above when I left. So I was driving slow to get up to proper operating temps.

I'll have to check the vents and look up the plastic ducting issue

I did have the fan set on high set to defrost+floor heat- why do ask if I had floor heat on, is this a common issue.

Thanks everyone

Yeggster
01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
hmmmm did you have the floor heater on?

Mine the smell was just outside not inside and only mild ... I almost always have the heater set to auto

XKJeep06
01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Make sure any loose debris like a plastic bag, is stuck onto any of the exhaust components. My wife had one wrapped around her exhaust. It was an unusual burning smell, that we dropped it at the stealership, and they simply removed the bag, and billed us a mouthful ...ARGH! That's just one possibility for ya...

Yeggster
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Make sure any loose debris like a plastic bag, is stuck onto any of the exhaust components. My wife had one wrapped around her exhaust. It was an unusual burning smell, that we dropped it at the stealership, and they simply removed the bag, and billed us a mouthful ...ARGH! That's just one possibility for ya...

That' s a possibility ... I had some prankster when I was inconstruction completley wrap my exaust with vapour barrier plastic once ... the smell was noticable occasionaly for a very longtiime afterwards (but I have to admit I never made any attempts to remove the plastic)

CanadianCommander
01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
To answer all of your questions:

I wasn't doing any quick or hard braking, nor riding the brake.

No hard acceleration either being that the car was stilll warming up from low outdoor temperatures -13 when I parked at work in the morning 2 above when I left. So I was driving slow to get up to proper operating temps.

I'll have to check the vents and look up the plastic ducting issue

I did have the fan set on high set to defrost+floor heat- why do ask if I had floor heat on, is this a common issue.

Thanks everyone

i know when my floor heater is on my boots make it smeel like burning rubber

jeep5253
01-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Oooh, Oooh, that smell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAPoN8qs0Q

cico7
01-18-2009, 05:57 PM
how many miles are on your jeep? not uncommon on new vehciles to have a burn smell. Also, check your interior lights. Are they hot? My center light in the back starts to smell after a while of being on.

RebellionInd
01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
24,000 miles on the Jeep, Probably had only been driving 6-8 minutes when I noticed smell. I had my wife test drive the Jeep today and without giving her to many details she came back to note that you can smell the buring when you come to a stop, so I am not crazy she smells it to. Well I'll give the dealership a call tomorrow as its still under warranty.

VETERAN
01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
ONLY FOR CRD!!!!! It is from DPF regeneration.There is a plastic decal on the Diesel Particulate Filter on the side of it towards the center of the Jeep.I scraped off what I could then had to use sand paper to get the rest of it off because it gets baked on due to the heat.That is the burning plastic smell and smoke.You have to crawl under the Jeep to see it.Haven't had the smell or smoke since I srcubed the decal off.What a stupid place for a part number decal.They should use one that will disitagrate during the first regen.I wonder how many dealers even know about this stinky plastic part number decal ?