What is the Correct Coolant for the Commander? [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: What is the Correct Coolant for the Commander?

DanielC4
06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I added some Prestone Coolant to my 06 Jeep Commander Hemi and I want to make sure its ok?

Thanks,

Here is what I used: http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/C4C6/del.jpg (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=)
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/C4C6/?action=view&current=del.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3Cimg% 20src=%22http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/C4C6/del.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobucket%2 2%3E%3C/a%3E

adamag25
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I know the XK uses the red anti-freeze but I am not sure if there are different formulations. I have always thought that there was either Red or Green and you shouldn't mix them unless the one you buy says "mixes with all" so I think you have the right stuff but you may want to check out the Prestone website to see if there is one that is specifically for Chrysler vehicles and see if they have matching part or item numbers.

robby
06-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Daniel,
You used the right stuff......no worries.

Rob

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 07:40 AM
That is not the correct antifreeze and needs to be drained out of your XK immediately. The Commander uses a special HOAT antifreeze (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) and should not be combined with Dexcool or other antifreezes, it will cause leaks and plugging of the radiator and heater core. Prestone claims that it's 50/50 extended life is compatible with all makes and models but it's not. You either need to get it directly from the dealer or sometimes you can find it at a local auto parts store.

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Daniel,
You used the right stuff......no worries.

Rob

No he definately didnt use the correct antifreeze.

robby
06-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I was of the belief the Prestone claim is correct.....
Where are you finding info to contradict 07?
I doubt if a touch up in the overflow would be so dire, but if your info is correct then the OP should at least remove and drain the overflow.
A full coolant flush could be a bit extreme. (my opinion only)
You've gotten my attention as I may be giving out bad info.

Thanks,
Rob

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 08:05 AM
I was of the belief the Prestone claim is correct.....
Where are you finding info to contradict 07?
I doubt if a touch up in the overflow would be so dire, but if your info is correct then the OP should at least remove and drain the overflow.
A full coolant flush could be a bit extreme. (my opinion only)
You've gotten my attention as I may be giving out bad info.

Thanks,
Rob

A few months after our first trip to Rausch Creek I decided to take out the fan shroud/electric fan so that I could clean the radiator really well. My engine had been running a little hotter then normal due to all the dirt being clogged in the radiator from the huge water holes we decided to drive through. Well in order for me to get the fan shroud/electric fan out I had to disconnect the upper radiator hose and lost quite a bit of fluid. Well enough to need to add more I guess you can say. I knew the fluid wasnt the original green fluid used in other vehicles I previously owned so I check out the owners manual and it states that you can only use HOAT type antifreeze which you buy directly from the dealer. So I talked to the Jeep dealer to find out more info about this antifreeze and they said the owners manual is correct and that you cant mix this HOAT type antifreeze with other types. Even if the bottle says compatible with all other antifreezes. The guy at the dealer pointed me in the right direction to where I could get this antifreeze and not have to pay out the butt at the dealer. Out of the 4 auto part stores in my area, only one actually carries HOAT type antifreeze. On the back of the bottle it states that its for 2002 and up Chrysler/Jeep's. I cant remember the name brand of the antifreeze but once I get up and about today ill check it out and let you guys know.

robby
06-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks 07,
I'll look for your info later.

Rob

adamag25
06-21-2009, 08:33 AM
This is some PDF file I found from the Filter Manufacturers Council at http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.pdf. The short answer is DO NOT MIX! I think it is possible to do a coolant flush and swap for the more conventional green IAT coolant, that would be my choice.

The Color of Antifreeze
Until recently, the color of the most commonly used antifreezes for both light duty
and heavy-duty engine cooling systems was predominately green. Its change
interval is normally about every two years or 30,000 miles (50,000 km) of use.
Then, long life (LLC) / extended life (ELC) coolant / antifreeze was introduced in
an effort to reduce maintenance costs, downtime and environmental disposal
costs and issues. With the introduction of this totally new concept, antifreeze
manufacturers wanted to differentiate this new product from existing antifreezes.
To accomplish this, they introduced different colored dyes for their LLC / ELC
products. Orange and red dyes were used first; now it appears there may be
virtually no limit to the different dye colors that may be used.
The purpose of this bulletin is to describe the dye colors currently available, the
chemical technologies being used and which vehicle manufacturers are using
which technology based on the information that is readily available at the time
this bulletin was published. The member companies of the FMC are confident
this issue is not static and new technologies and dye colors will continue to be
introduced in the future.
Antifreeze is used in cooling systems to both lower the freeze point of water and
raise its boiling point. It is also used as a carrier for different types of additives
such as sodium silicate to protect aluminum from corrosion, anti-foaming agents
and other corrosion inhibitors. Although straight antifreeze actually freezes and
boils quicker than tap water, when mixed with water in the proper proportions (a
50% / 50% mix is ideal) in a cooling system, it greatly increases the cooling
system's ability to perform its designed function of removing heat from critical
engine parts and to enhance the service life of the various cooling system
components.
Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) is the chemical composition for the traditional
antifreezes that are green in color. An IAT can be used with either ethylene glycol
(EG) or propylene glycol (PG). The normal IAT service life is two years or 30,000
miles (50,000 km).
Organic Acid Technology (OAT) was the first LLC / ELC introduced in North
America in 1994. OAT antifreeze had been widely used in Europe before its
introduction in North America. OAT can be either EG or PG but is mostly EG
based. Its first dye colors were orange and red. These dye colors are still used by
General Motors and Caterpillar. Green, pink and blue have been added to the list
of available OAT antifreezes. It is recommended that OAT not be mixed with any
other antifreeze technology. The normal OAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or
150,000 miles (250,000 km).
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) is a combination of IAT and OAT with
nitrites added. This makes HOAT suitable for use in both light duty and heavy
duty systems. Currently, two manufacturers are using HOAT for their vehicles.
Daimler/Chrysler's version is dyed orange and contains 10% recycled antifreeze.
Ford Motor Company’s version is dyed yellow and does not contain any recycled
antifreeze. Both of these HOAT antifreezes use the marketing designator of GO-
5. They are compatible with each other but mixing them with IAT or OAT is not
recommended. The normal HOAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000
miles (250,000 km).
Nitrated Organic Acid Technology (NOAT) is an OAT with nitrates added. This
makes NOAT also suitable for use in both light duty and heavy duty systems.
NOAT and HOAT are very similar in performance characteristics. Currently, no
OEM vehicle manufacturer is using NOAT. The normal NOAT service life is 5
years or 150,000 miles (250,000 km).
Since antifreeze is clear when it is manufactured, and water is clear, dye is used
to color the antifreeze for identification and marketing purposes. The color of
antifreeze is no longer an accurate indicator as to whether it is an IAT, OAT,
HOAT or NOAT formulation. Further, some antifreeze manufacturers market a
“universal” antifreeze they say is compatible with all OAT, HOAT and NOAT
formulations. These "universal" formulas are not for use with IAT and they will not
convert an IAT to an LLC/ELC antifreeze. Mixing IAT with OAT, HOAT or NOAT
antifreezes will not damage your vehicle’s cooling system; however the mixture
will negate the long life/extended life attributes of these formulations.
In conclusion, there are currently two oranges, two reds, green, dark green,
yellow, blue, blue-green, clear and pink dye colors available. With this variety of
dye colors and more to come, the service technician’s ability to properly service
and maintain light duty and heavy duty cooling systems properly will be greatly
challenged. It is imperative the technician be fully aware of what the vehicle
manufacturers' requirements for antifreeze are and those recommendations be
carefully followed. For further information regarding cooling system maintenance,
refer to TSB's 88-1R3, 89-1R2, 97-2 and 02-1.
For additional information, contact:
Filter Manufacturers Council
P.O. Box 13966
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-3966
Phone: 919/406-8817 Fax: 919/406-1306
www.filtercouncil.org
Administered by Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association

GPintheMitten
06-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Excellent thread.

jeep5253
06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
That's really great info, adamag25. The majority of people do not thoroughly read their Owner's Manual and will not know about the antifreeze and will therefore be throwing in any old stuff. It's a shame there's not a better way to educate owners about their vehicles. Sales people should have a list of important facts about the vehicles that they give out at the time of purchase.

Old Salt
06-21-2009, 10:35 AM
i'm glad i read this....good information to know before servicing cooling system.

-Bob

a49erFan
06-21-2009, 01:20 PM
I added some Prestone Coolant to my 06 Jeep Commander Hemi and I want to make sure its ok?

Why in the world would you do this and THEN ask if it is okay, you would save yourself a lot of work and money to ask first!

CUPRA
06-21-2009, 03:27 PM
This thread is great.

I recently was cleaning the engine bay on my XK and noticed I was a little low on coolant. I forgot to mention it at my last oil change, so went ahead to fill it up. Then realizing it was orange and not green like our Mazda MX 5, I chose to read the manual, and then just buy the coolant at the dealer. I figured I would happily pay the $23 they wanted for it than a bunch of maintenance costs further down the line.

Whenever I buy a car, I read the manual on that first night of ownership, and it never hurts to refresh your knowledge!

Glad I read it this time I needed coolant.

Ironically, not 2 days later, I noticed green coolant on the garage floor, and come to find out that the coolant reservoir on our 07 MX5 has split down the seam of the tank (manufacturing defect) and I had to take it in to be rectified under warranty.

madcom
06-21-2009, 04:02 PM
well that sucks cause, today i did the same thing !!!! started by doing an oil change then moved on to checking all the fluids p/s b/f then coolant res. on the back side of the owner manuel it states to use a 5yr/100,000 mile and on the back side of the prestone bottle it says it good for all cysler products.... it was about a 2pints or less any thoughts on this one??

adamag25
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
well that sucks cause, today i did the same thing !!!! started by doing an oil change then moved on to checking all the fluids p/s b/f then coolant res. on the back side of the owner manuel it states to use a 5yr/100,000 mile and on the back side of the prestone bottle it says it good for all cysler products.... it was about a 2pints or less any thoughts on this one??

This is some PDF file I found from the Filter Manufacturers Council at http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.pdf.

Since antifreeze is clear when it is manufactured, and water is clear, dye is used
to color the antifreeze for identification and marketing purposes. The color of
antifreeze is no longer an accurate indicator as to whether it is an IAT, OAT,
HOAT or NOAT formulation. Further, some antifreeze manufacturers market a
“universal” antifreeze they say is compatible with all OAT, HOAT and NOAT
formulations. These "universal" formulas are not for use with IAT and they will not
convert an IAT to an LLC/ELC antifreeze. Mixing IAT with OAT, HOAT or NOAT
antifreezes will not damage your vehicle’s cooling system; however the mixture
will negate the long life/extended life attributes of these formulations.

If it says it is for Chrysler or "universal" then it will be ok no matter the color. If it is not the universal then it will not damage the system but it will cause a build up of sludge if you mix enough in together. It just has to say "mixes with all" or "universal" somewhere but look to make sure it is an OAT not a IAT

robby
06-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, after discussing this a bit with 07 this morning, I went to my hangar to do some odds n ends.
One of the things to do was read the labels on one of my Prestone Dex-Cool 50/50 mix gallons.
It says ' Meets performance standards/specification OF Diamler Chrysler specification MS-7170 and MS-9769.
So after reading this entire thread......adamag has left me with my response being correct......I think.
That was when I responded to the OP that the product he had topped with was ok and 07 said I may be incorrect.
So, with apologies for maybe missing something in this thread, should I change my answer.....or not?
Now, don't make fun of the old guy,
Rob

madcom
06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
well i guess that small amount that i put in there wont do to much harm!!heres what the back of the bottle has on it for the rating for chrysler vechicals
<LI class=contentArea>DaimlerChrysler MS 7170 and MS 9769 <LI class=contentArea>silicate and phosphate free

madcom
06-21-2009, 08:17 PM
so i guess it puts us on the safe side ?? to use this product???

robby
06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
so i guess it puts us on the safe side ?? to use this product???

Well,
I'm looking forward to some of the responses that come back to this thread tonight and tomorrow but I believe in your situation there is no harm done regardless.
The amount you have added is so small as a total percentage of coolant in the system that even if it was not supposed to be compatable it couldn't really cause a problem IMO.

Rob

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, after discussing this a bit with 07 this morning, I went to my hangar to do some odds n ends.
One of the things to do was read the labels on one of my Prestone Dex-Cool 50/50 mix gallons.
It says ' Meets performance standards/specification OF Diamler Chrysler specification MS-7170 and MS-9769.
So after reading this entire thread......adamag has left me with my response being correct......I think.
That was when I responded to the OP that the product he had topped with was ok and 07 said I may be incorrect.
So, with apologies for maybe missing something in this thread, should I change my answer.....or not?
Now, don't make fun of the old guy,
Rob

I still dont think you are correct, but im just going off what the guy at the dealer told me. He specifically said not to use the Dex-Cool even though it says meets MS-7170 and MS-9769 as it isnt a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) type antifreeze. If I recall correctly he mentioned that the Dex-cool that you are refering to is for pre-2002 chrysler vehicles and that mixing the two would be bad.

Again Im just basing this off of what I was told. Is it correct, who knows. Maybe someone else on the forum can contact their dealer and get an opinion from someone else.

adamag25
06-21-2009, 08:37 PM
My understanding based on what I have read is that Rob is correct and the OP used the correct coolant. If the Dex-Cool meets the Chrysler specs then it must be an OAT or HOAT coolant.

Edit: 07 has a valid point the coolant could be designed for pre 02 vehicles but I think it would still be OK to mix an OAT with an HOAT coolant. It seems the only thing that would be a bad idea is to mix the IAT with any OAT type coolant.

Another Edit: From the things I have read, the only difference between an OAT and an HOAT coolant is that the OAT is 100% new coolant and HOAT is a combination of new and recycled coolant.

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 08:56 PM
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_cooling.htm

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19099

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_type_of_coolant_is_used_for_2000_Jeep_Grand_C herokee_Laredo

robby
06-21-2009, 09:08 PM
I think.....
Prestone and others would not say they meet the specification (MS-7170/MS-9769)
if there was the slightest chance of any compromising of the cooling system.
The liability potental would be huge and inescapeable.
As far as the O.A.T./H.O.A.T. discussion, that would have to involve Prestone themselves to get a final answer.

Rob

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 09:09 PM
My understanding based on what I have read is that Rob is correct and the OP used the correct coolant. If the Dex-Cool meets the Chrysler specs then it must be an OAT or HOAT coolant.

Edit: 07 has a valid point the coolant could be designed for pre 02 vehicles but I think it would still be OK to mix an OAT with an HOAT coolant. It seems the only thing that would be a bad idea is to mix the IAT with any OAT type coolant.

Dex-cool isnt a HOAT coolant. The only coolant out there besides the Mopar Hoat Coolant is Zerex G-05.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42

adamag25
06-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I am still with rob on this one, assuming his coolant has not been sitting in his shop for the past 7 or 8 years then I think he is right. No company is going to put in print that a product will work if it is so well known that it will cause issue. I went to look at the bottle of coolant I have to see if it says anything about OAT or HOAT and I could not find anything. The only thing I got from reading the label was that I should not drink the coolant.......But I already know that because it tastes really bad even if you drink a lot of it.

Edit: 07 is correct the Dex-cool the OP has may not be a HOAT coolant. What I meant to say was that the formulation of Dex-Cool coolant that Rob has must be an HOAT coolant because it meets the Chrysler specs. If the OP's Dex-Cool doesn't meet the Chrysler specs than it may be an IAT coolant.

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Right off the back of the Zerex G-05 coolant bottle:

IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION:
Antifreeze/coolant chemistries are different. Products that contain Organic Acid Technology (OAT) chemistry are NOT approved by Ford and DiamlerChrysler for HOAT/G-05 applications. Products using OAT chemistry may be damaging to cooling systems that specify Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) chemisrty based on OEM recommendations.

I still think robby is wrong.

07JeepXK
06-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Edit: 07 is correct the Dex-cool the OP has may not be a HOAT coolant. What I meant to say was that the formulation of Dex-Cool coolant that Rob has must be an HOAT coolant because it meets the Chrysler specs. If the OP's Dex-Cool doesn't meet the Chrysler specs than it may be an IAT coolant.

I think that the coolant robby has meets the Chrysler specs of pre-2001 vehicles.

EDIT: Dex-cool doesnt make a HOAT coolant

DanielC4
06-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow, lots of great replies but I am still not sure what the answer is. I put at most 1.5 pints of Prestone into my overfill reservoir so I should be okay. My Commander is an 06 with roughly 101,000 miles so I need to flush it out soon anyways.

And a49erFan I thought orange to orange coolant would be compatible but I wanted to double check before I added more. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to sludge up all of the coolant/anti-freeze like I was told it would when I almost added Orange Prestone Dex-Cool to my C4 Corvette (which has green coolant/anti-freeze.)

Thanks,
Daniel

bob123
06-21-2009, 11:39 PM
I agree that the Dex-cool is the wrong product for our Commander. Even though it is the same color, the chemical makeup is different. I know it is hard to find the right coolant, but I am glad that we have the HOAT coolant. This coolant is suppose to be good for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

DanielC4: When you do change the coolant, can you post a picture where the petcock is for the radiator.

mb1k
06-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Recommend Sticky this thread.

Edit: I DID NOT replace my 99's coolant with HOAT. I, like others, am an avid owners manual reader. In this case though, I didn't even bother to look. I just completely drained the coolant in '03, completely flushed it out about three times with distilled water, and then put 50/50 green coolant and distilled water back in. I got lucky. That was six years ago and I haven't had one problem. But I think that's attributed to the full flush I did.

The new owner may want to know about it though... was the '99 WJ an HOAT vehicle?

bob123
06-22-2009, 01:41 AM
I am not 100% sure, but I believe the HOAT engine coolant has not been out more than 10 years or so. I would think your '99 WJ used the conventional "Green" engine coolant.

07JeepXK
06-22-2009, 05:15 AM
I agree that the Dex-cool is the wrong product for our Commander. Even though it is the same color, the chemical makeup is different. I know it is hard to find the right coolant, but I am glad that we have the HOAT coolant. This coolant is suppose to be good for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

DanielC4: When you do change the coolant, can you post a picture where the petcock is for the radiator.

Glad someone agrees with me! I know for a fact Dex-cool is the wrong product for our commanders.

07JeepXK
06-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I called another local Jeep dealer this morning and they too said to only use Mopar (HOAT) coolant or the equivalent HOAT G-05 coolant.

adamag25
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
I think that for a complete system flush the replacement coolant should be the HOAT or G-05 equivalent. However to add in some 50/50 just to top off the overflow tank I would think that any of the Chrysler Compliant or Universal coolants would not do any harm or have any serious affects other than cutting down the life of the coolant. Realistically, if I were a jeep dealer I would tell you that you should only use the Mopar fluid. Just like you should only use Mopar oils, batteries, and any other fluid that may cost less elsewhere but we all know that you can use non-Mopar stuff that works just as well or better.

07JeepXK
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Recommend Sticky this thread.

Edit: I DID NOT replace my 99's coolant with HOAT. I, like others, am an avid owners manual reader. In this case though, I didn't even bother to look. I just completely drained the coolant in '03, completely flushed it out about three times with distilled water, and then put 50/50 green coolant and distilled water back in. I got lucky. That was six years ago and I haven't had one problem. But I think that's attributed to the full flush I did.

The new owner may want to know about it though... was the '99 WJ an HOAT vehicle?

The '99 WJ doesnt use HOAT coolant. Chrysler started using at around 2001.

07JeepXK
06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I think that for a complete system flush the replacement coolant should be the HOAT or G-05 equivalent. However to add in some 50/50 just to top off the overflow tank I would think that any of the Chrysler Compliant or Universal coolants would not do any harm or have any serious affects other than cutting down the life of the coolant. Realistically, if I were a jeep dealer I would tell you that you should only use the Mopar fluid. Just like you should only use Mopar oils, batteries, and any other fluid that may cost less elsewhere but we all know that you can use non-Mopar stuff that works just as well or better.

See I think you have it backwards. If you were to do a complete flush of the coolant system on our commanders then you should be able to use any brand of 50/50 in the radiator since you completely flushed the system. That means there is no mixing of the two different coolants so no adverse effects should take place.

Now if you are just topping off our vehicles you would need to use a (HOAT) coolant so there are no adverse effects.

adamag25
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
See I think you have it backwards. If you were to do a complete flush of the coolant system on our commanders then you should be able to use any brand of 50/50 in the radiator since you completely flushed the system. That means there is no mixing of the two different coolants so no adverse effects should take place.

Now if you are just topping off our vehicles you would need to use a (HOAT) coolant so there are no adverse effects.

I have heard of people doing the coolant swap but the HOAT is supposed to be specially formulated with different chemicals that prevent different kinds of corrosion so to swap all the coolant out may not be good but I am not 100% sure why. If you topped off with some universal coolant I would think that the small amount added would not affect the HOAT coolant from performing the way it is designed to.

07JeepXK
06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Did anyone else happen to call their local dealer and see what they had to say?

bob123
06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Why not just buy the Mopar coolant from the dealer? I cannot imagine it being over priced. Just curious, how much $$ is the Mopar coolant from a dealer (not the 50/50 mix)?

07JeepXK
06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Why not just buy the Mopar coolant from the dealer? I cannot imagine it being over priced. Just curious, how much $$ is the Mopar coolant from a dealer (not the 50/50 mix)?

Thats a good question. Honestly Im not sure how this thread got so long. Just do as the owners manual states and put in HOAT coolant and there will be no issues. Plain and simple. If you going to take the time to go to the store and buy 50/50 why not just get the coolant that says HOAT and not worry about it? :stickpoke:

howard6081
06-22-2009, 09:57 PM

You're doomed. You're gonna crash, burn and die. Your Commander will vaporize into a orange mist with you inside. The same thing will happen to me as I topped off the resevior with 1000,000 mile orange prestone anti-freeze. 2-3 cups of pure poison.
HT

madcom
06-22-2009, 10:32 PM
You're doomed. You're gonna crash, burn and die. Your Commander will vaporize into a orange mist with you inside. The same thing will happen to me as I topped off the reservoir with 1000,000 mile orange prestone anti-freeze. 2-3 cups of pure poison.
HT
thats funny!!!as long as it doesn't over heat am OK,maybe i should have just topped off with water,then it would have met all of the HOATS & OATS ETC..out there.

adamag25
06-23-2009, 07:18 AM
DO NOT PUT OATS IN THE COOLANT! that will defiantly clog the radiator.

mb1k
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
DO NOT PUT OATS IN THE COOLANT! that will defiantly clog the radiator.

Especially steel-cut, but you can use rolled in a pinch as long as you drain and flush immediately when you're back in civilization.

howard6081
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
thats funny!!!as long as it doesn't over heat am OK,maybe i should have just topped off with water,then it would have met all of the HOATS & OATS ETC..out there.

Since I attempted to murder my Commander with improper anti-freeze I have driven to the Florida panhandle 4 times, driven up Pike's Peak, have been to Moab, Utah and drove the most beautiful offroad trails in the world. All without issues. Jeep is running cool. Next month I'm headed to the badlands. This could be the end.
HT

07JeepXK
06-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Since I attempted to murder my Commander with improper anti-freeze I have driven to the Florida panhandle 4 times, driven up Pike's Peak, have been to Moab, Utah and drove the most beautiful offroad trails in the world. All without issues. Jeep is running cool. Next month I'm headed to the badlands. This could be the end.
HT

Just because you have put a few miles on your jeep and its still running doesnt mean that you wont have future damage to your cooling system. Its not like it goes bad overnight, it takes time.

mb1k
06-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm with 07JEEPXK. It's not a "ka-boom" sorta mistake or condition, but overtime the system isn't working optimally and the fluid isn't doing it's most efficient work in that solution. It's your Jeep, but I wouldn't want to buy it second hand from you.

It's like aircraft fuel, sure you can burn AV Gas in a turbine engine and it won't go "boom", but you're going burn out the combustion chambers and cans eventually and total out your $250K+ turbine engine...

howard6081
06-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm with 07JEEPXK. It's not a "ka-boom" sorta mistake or condition, but overtime the system isn't working optimally and the fluid isn't doing it's most efficient work in that solution. It's your Jeep, but I wouldn't want to buy it second hand from you.

It's like aircraft fuel, sure you can burn AV Gas in a turbine engine and it won't go "boom", but you're going burn out the combustion chambers and cans eventually and total out your $250K+ turbine engine...

You make some good points and I appreciate it. I bought my Commander to travel the USA and I'll let you know how it holds up. So far it's the finest vehicle I have ever owned.
Not much chance of you buying my Comander Second hand. I still have 2 Cherokees in the drive. Just can't sell my old Jeeps once they have become part of the family. I have willed them to my Grandson so he can figure out what to do with them. They both run like new, but this Commander is the cat's buttocks. (Can't say "ass" here, might put a lifetime emotional scar on some kid.)
HT

07JeepXK
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM

That's exactly why I buy all my vehicles brand new. Who knows what the owner before you did to that vehicle.

howard6081
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
That's exactly why I buy all my vehicles brand new. Who knows what the owner before you did to that vehicle.

You're absolutely right. Anyone who adds almost 20oz of Prestone extended life all makes all models anti freeze into a 14.5 quart system should be barred from ever selling or buying another vehicle.
HT

07JeepXK
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM
You're absolutely right. Anyone who adds almost 20oz of Prestone extended life all makes all models anti freeze into a 14.5 quart system should be barred from ever selling or buying another vehicle.
HT

Just because it says all makes and models doesnt mean its the correct coolant. Also I never said you should be barred from selling or buying another vehicle. I just stated that I personally dont buy used vehicle because of ignorant people that dont properly take care of their vehicles.

howard6081
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Just because it says all makes and models doesnt mean its the correct coolant. Also I never said you should be barred from selling or buying another vehicle. I just stated that I personally dont buy used vehicle because of ignorant people that dont properly take care of their vehicles.

Well, you're right again. I've only been driving for 50 years so I don't know much about taking care of vehicles such as a seasoned driver like yourself. I'm learning though. Also I'm going to let you win this one as you're unable to recognize sarcasim and for me to keep returning here is a waste of time. I'll send ya a postcard from the Badlands cause I'm sure your a nice kid.
HT

07JeepXK
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, you're right again. I've only been driving for 50 years so I don't know much about taking care of vehicles such as a seasoned driver like yourself. I'm learning though. Also I'm going to let you win this one as you're unable to recognize sarcasim and for me to keep returning here is a waste of time. I'll send ya a postcard from the Badlands cause I'm sure your a nice kid.
HT

It's hard to recognize sarcasim over the computer.
Also I wasnt saying you are ignorant when it comes to vehicles.
Just stating I dont want to buy a used vehicle from an ignorant person that didnt take care of it.

bob123
06-24-2009, 10:51 PM
WELL, the point is to stick with HOAT coolant. You either have to buy Mopar coolant or either Valvoline Zerex G-05.

07JeepXK
06-25-2009, 07:26 AM
WELL, the point is to stick with HOAT coolant. You either have to buy Mopar coolant or either Valvoline Zerex G-05.

Exactly. Im not sure whats so hard to understand about that.

a49erFan
06-25-2009, 09:40 AM
:deadhorse:

07JeepXK
06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
:deadhorse:

You know. Gosh

bob123
08-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I noticed my Commander has past its 3 year mark. I know the manual tells you the coolant is good for 5 years/100,000 miles.

Does anyone else want to change there sooner? I guess I am just used to the old style coolant. I usually changed mine every other year or so, but now I feel that I have to change it.

Does our radiator have a drain plug (bolt style)? I could not find one, but I did find this on the lower corner (driver's side).

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/JeepC/Commander%20pictures/DSCF0328.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/JeepC/Commander%20pictures/DSCF0326.jpg

jeep5253
08-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like a drain to me.

robby
08-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Yep, thats it.
1/4 OR 1/2 turn opens er up.

You can attach a hose to that nipple to keep the job more sanitary.

Rob

a49erFan
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Looks like a drain to me.

If it looks like a duck...

Mongo
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Sorry to beat a dead horse and years after the thread died, but I got here because it was linked to a new thread giving out info on Anti-Freeze.

Prestone has lost several Trade Court Cases, but the court has no authority to force them to change the labeling on their bottles. The courts have found Prestone has no basis to make their claim their anti-freeze mixes with others, nor that it is meets the recommendations of manufacturers that recomend using the type of anti-freeze they are marketing. Some day there will be justice and Prestone will suffer the enourmous liability they deserve by their deceptive claims.

It might be worth noting in the fine print on the Prestone bottle it will tell you that if your going to use it, you should drain and flush your cooling system completly before adding it. Huh? That doesn't sound like an antifreeze that works with all makes and models and mixes with any other antifreeze?

Next time you're in an autoparts store that sells Prestone Products, put a bottle of Prestone "All Makes, All Models, Mixes with any color anti-freeze" next to a bottle of Prestone GM Dexcool, compare the list of ingredients, THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS ARE THE SAME FOR BOTH ANTI-FREEZES.

And the key, that makes this undeniable is the ingredient "2EHA" or "2-Ethylhexanol", this chemical is only used in GM Dexcool. NO other antifreeze uses 2EHA, and it is the problem chemical that has created all the complaints you hear about GM Dexcool.

Some of the Japanese Manufacturers have their own form of OAT anti-freeze, those do NOT use 2EHA, but they also are NOT for mixing with other forms of anti-freeze.

GM has reformulated Dexcool to fix some of the problems that happened when it was first fielded and that has worked to some degree. So the fact that people have used Prestone's "All Makes, All Models, Mixes with any Color AntiFreeze" and didn't have a problem "YET", is NOT proof that it is good for your vehicle. What is always best is to use the proper fluid recommended for your vehicle and do NOT mix it with other fluids.

Yes, it is sad the state of affairs in the Automotive aftermarket, that so many consumers are so ignorant about their vehicles that companies actually get away with unethical behaviour like this, because even the few that know better are drowned by the millions that have no clue.

Chrysler/Ford and MB use HOAT, and the only aftermarket suitable replacement that I know of, that is actual HOAT is Zerex G-05.

The original green IAT type antifreeze, is arguably still the best antifreeze for protecting a vehicle, PROVIDED YOU USE DISTILLED/DEMINERALIZED WATER AND CHANGE IT AT THE RECOMMENDED INTERVAL. People kept mixing IAT with heavy mineral ladened tap water, and leaving it in their vehicles for 5 or 6 years, then when the antifreeze gunked or clugged up the radiator or some other type of failure due to their lack of proper maintenance, they blamed it on the antifreeze. That is why the manufacturers came up with long life anti-freeze that works with mineral laden tap water, it doesn't protect as well as the original IAT. But if your lazy, don't know the difference between tap water and distilled/demineralized water, or won't bother changing your antifreeze ever, then the long life stuff will protect you better.

Although its NOT a good idea to mix different types of antifreeze, the green IAT and HOAT are very tolerant with mixing with each other, they should NOT cause a problem as long as you change the antifreeze at the shorter interval for the two types mixed together.

And finally, NEVER TRUST THE COLOR, its just die the manufacturer adds to the antifreeze, the color won't tell you what kind of antifreeze it is, just what color die the manufacturer added to it. Prestone's "All Makes, All Models...." is yellow, while their identical Dexcool is Orange. Chrysler HOAT is Red while the identical Zerex G-05 is clear/yellow.

I saw a guy buy Red RV potable water antifreeze and was adding it to his chrysler vehicle, said that its red like what's in there, it must be the same thing. Ummmm, its NOT.

jeep5253
10-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Good info Mongo. Thanks.