Jeep Commander Forum banner

Custom Leather Interior.

11K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Drakenator 
#1 · (Edited)
So, a few days ago, I installed (read: stitched) perforated leather to make the (formerly) rubber steering wheel a bit more luxurious. For this I bought a piece of leather from Shopsar.com specifically created to fit over the outer rim...at a cost of $60. Once it was all installed, I loved it. So now I'm on a quest to change a good number of the crappy, plastic surfaces to leather by buying it bulk this time, at about $2-3 per square foot, instead of custom pieces.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I think I'm going to go after parts on the door panels next.

I think this could be a great mod - just takes a lot of time in installing, but could potentially add a lot of value to the car. I'm a bit intimidated at doing the seats, though, as that's more than basic stitching.

#3 ·
It's fairly time consuming, but the only difficulty is requiring a bit of strength to get it to stretch the leather correctly. If I hadn't done things like 1. lost the needle and 2. snapped the thread once, it would have taken a whole lot shorter time than it did. The spokes are difficult, though - mainly getting it flush with the existing line. I did not remove the cover - wasn't aware it was one :p

#5 ·
You did a great job on that !

#12 · (Edited)
Sorry to bump this old thread...

For those looking for steering wheel replacements, contact Redline Goods. I doubt they have a template for the Commander which means you can probably get it for free. I wrapped my Miata wheel in Alcantara from Redline and it turned out great. It fits perfect and looks OEM. I think the leather is about 60% less than Alcantara, but I paid about $200 for the material and stitching. They also have tons of different colors of material and stitch as well as various patterns. Basically you just fit the material and begin to loop the thread and pull it tight...it's not for the faint hearted as it took many beers, about 10hrs of solid work, some obscenities, and some blood but the result is nothing short of spectacular. JPM Coachworks is another great option, but you're going to pay up to 3 times as much.

#13 ·
Another good way to get a template is to wrap the whole wheel in tape (painters) and then cut it off with an exacto along where you want your seams. When you splay out the tape again you have a very good starting point for any material you want. Does take a trial fit or two to get the final pattern, but the price is right and effort is minimal.

Attachments

#15 ·
I wrapped my steering wheel in a Tan Wheelskins cover almost 2 years ago. I need to replace the stitching. I admit I didn't do as great a job as I would have liked. I need to order new waxed thread and redo it soon. It has worn rather well and I really like it against my knaki interior.

I have toyed with the idea of redoing some of my dash panels in something else but haven't decided with what or how yet. I look forward to what others figure out as well.

I guess if you want a solution that isn't permanent you could use plasti-dip spray. That will peel off if you decide youdon't like it. Although I cannot attest to the durability to using that on the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.