Jeep Commander Forum banner

Help, Dash lights FLASHING!

72K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  RobMart 
#1 ·
I have no idea what is going on with my dash...Sometimes when my car is wet or when its raining all the dash lights start flashing intermittently and stops after 3 seconds. Sometimes it won't flash but come on and stay on for 3-5 seconds. My car is at 60k miles now...Anyone think thats playin a part in this? Thanks.

#2 ·
Sounds like a windshield leak problem to me.

#3 · (Edited)
Okay, I do admit that water has leaked into my driver's control panel whenever I smoke and have the window open. Maybe I should invest into some rain guards....? I haven't noticed a leak in my windshield, but there is a leak in the rear gate winshield. I've noticed water stains on the inside of the gate windshield and notice water leak when I go through a carwash or heavy rain.

Ya think the short or whatever would travel all the way to the dash though? Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
Sounds like the issues I've been having with mine. I've been told today two of my control modules have failed and have to be replaced and the delivery time will be 2-4 weeks.....I suggest sell the Jeep and buy a proper English or Japanese 4x4 vehicle instead!

Its the Steering Control Module that controls the dash lights apparently, as described by a Jeep Muppet at the dealer today.

#5 ·
Wow! Okay, thanks for the info. How long was your Jeep doing this before you had to get it replaced? So did the dealer say why the control mod went bad? I was actually planning on getting a Chevy Tahoe or something that size, but not for another 2 years or so. I'm not too fond of japanese suv or english one either.

#6 ·
Mine has done this twice now within the past week. The first time it was about 11 degrees and snowing, but the roads weren't all that wet yet. Last night, it was clear and about 9 degrees and my headlights and instrument panel lights began flashing rapidly when I made an abrupt stop. Both times, I turned the headlights off, then back on and it was fine for the rest of the trip. Not sure what's going on here or what kind of $ I may have to dump into this in the near future. Good old American engineering. My Commander is an '06 3.7 with 49,000 on it. In my book, having to worry about crap like this in a 3 year old car is unacceptable. And we wonder why people won't buy American. I always have, and this is what I get. I love this car though--I bought it this past summer with 42,000 on it and it's everything I wanted. I just don't want to have to worry about defects like this--we shouldn't have to.

#8 ·
Well it's back. We were driving home tonight and the headlights started flickering again. It only does it with the headlights on not with only the parking lights.

When we got home I checked the relays under the hood. I could hear the one for the headlights clicking . I took the relay for the horn and replaced it thinking the relay was bad but that did not fix it.

Anyone have a suggestion?

#11 ·
And now for something new.

Last night the lights went out again. But this time they didn't flicker they just went out. When I bumped the headlight stalk they turned back on. Same thing happened 5 minutes later. Then a few minutes after that I had the high beams on and then the headlights went completely out for a half a second and came back on but only the low beams were on.

I just had our '02 Malibu at the mechanic for a dim headlight that cost me $200 to fix. I kinda expect that on a 8 year old 100,000 mile car not on my 3 year old 60,000 mile car.

#12 ·
This things gotta be possessed! Backed out of my drive this morning and turned on the lights. All that came on were the parking lights. When I turned the switch to the parking light setting the headlights came on. Switched it back to the headlight setting and the parking lights came on.

I turned the headlights off, then back on and everything worked like it was supposed to.

I think I need an exorcist. lol

#13 ·
Well I don't know if my head lights went out, but going to work this moring every light on the dash board came on, flickered for 3 to 5 seconds then went out. I didn't touch anything and so far it hasn't done it since. When I got home, I got to the back side of the ignition switch and shook down the harness and messed with the key at the same time, but nothing happened. Not sure what is wrong with it now.

#14 ·
Guess I'm calling the dealer tomorrow. Driving down the interstate tonight and the lights started in again. It seems to only do it at night. Weird.

And it's the headlights(high and low), instrument cluster, and taillights. Not the brake lights. And if the high beams are on it shuts them off and goes back to low beams.

#17 ·
Question to all, over the past month i've had my dash lights start to flash on me. Some times it will only happen once, other times it will start from the time I pull out of the drive way and stop when I get to work. I've tired messing with the key to try and get the dash lights to mess up, but nothing. I've had my battery and alternator tested, both passed. Any suggestions on what could be causing it??

#18 ·
Mine ended up being the multi function switch. Basically the stalk for the headlights. There are three different ones depending on your options; auto headlights, fog lights and neither.

Mine was replaced two weeks ago and I have had no more flashing lights.

Check around because the dealer wanted $260 while my local mechanic did it for $150.

#19 ·
hmm.... will do thanks

#20 · (Edited)
I got to experience the dashboard light show last night. Driving downtown to the post office in the mixed rain/sleet and the gauges and headlights and HVAC fan all started to rapidly go off and on. It may be coincidence but it seemed like it started when I hit a bump in the road. The vehicle did not lose power. I didn't freak out since I have read about it happening here on the forum. I just kept driving with it like that and after about 5 minutes it quit. Then after a few minutes it started again. Got to the post office, turned off the XK and went inside. When I was leaving the P.O. I used the remote start and drove home with no further issues. I have not driven it yet today but will later tonight. Hopefully it was just a one time thing. Feel free to offer anything helpful.

#21 ·
I got to experience the dashboard light show last night. Driving downtown to the post office in the mixed rain/sleet and the gauges and headlights and HVAC fan all started to rapidly go off and on. It may be coincidence but it seemed like it started when I hit a bump in the road. The vehcle did not lose power. I didn't freek out since I have read about it happening here on the forum. I just kept driving with it like that and after about 5 minutes it quit. Then after a few minutes it started again. Got to the po, turned off the XK and went inside. When I was leaving the po I used the remote start and drove home with no further issues. I have not driven it yet today but will later tonight. Hopefully it was just a one time thing. Feel free to offer anything helpful.
Suspect it's the wiring harness running along the radiator mounting cross member, there's probably a faulty wire in there somewhere being the culprit. As you know, I've been there and done that in recent years with both my XH's and my sons XH last week!

#22 ·
My dash lights - only the idiot lights - came on once for three days in a row last week. Did not affect power, or heater fans. Took it to the dealer - no code. They told me if it happens again, bring it in, but don't turn it off to see if a code is stored. :mofo:

#25 ·
Something similar has happened to mine twice. Both times it was pretty cold outside and one of the times it was snowing very hard (don't know if that plays a role). Basically all the lights on the dashboard light up, the MPH and RPM gauges go crazy (both simultaneously go from 0 to max even though the car is moving at around 20mph and the engine is slowly powering down), and the car powered down. It took about 20 seconds to get the car to start up again after I pulled aside and shut it off (turned the key and nothing happened, but after about 20 seconds the ignition kicked in). I noticed someone posting that a leaky windshield might be the culprit. Although no water gets through mine, it seems to be EXTREMELY loud on the highway at around 60mph and up, so I assume there may be a leak somewhere. Anyone have the same symptoms as me or is mine one of the few possessed Jeeps out there?

#26 ·
Something similar has happened to mine twice. Both times it was pretty cold outside and one of the times it was snowing very hard (don't know if that plays a role). Basically all the lights on the dashboard light up, the MPH and RPM gauges go crazy (both simultaneously go from 0 to max even though the car is moving at around 20mph and the engine is slowly powering down), and the car powered down. It took about 20 seconds to get the car to start up again after I pulled aside and shut it off (turned the key and nothing happened, but after about 20 seconds the ignition kicked in). I noticed someone posting that a leaky windshield might be the culprit. Although no water gets through mine, it seems to be EXTREMELY loud on the highway at around 60mph and up, so I assume there may be a leak somewhere. Anyone have the same symptoms as me or is mine one of the few possessed Jeeps out there?
Mine did not lose power and the mph and rpm gauges did not act up. Just all the gauge lights, headlights, and hvac fan going off and on real fast. I think you might have a different issue since the engine is involved.

#28 ·
It sure sounds like the same thing I had. It cost me $40 for the dealer to diagnose. They hooked it up to the computer then waited for it to start screwing up again.
Already made a note of your solution as well as another member who had the same symtoms but was caused by a bad ignition switch. And also the wiring as suggested by UK Commander.

#29 ·
I've been having this problem since last year, but only in severely cold weather (mid 20's and below). Started with just the ESP turning off (last year) Now the gauges and dash lights flash, but it runs fine. Can't tell what the headlights are doing because it has always been during the day.

Still under warranty, but the thing about having the dealer checking it is that I have programmed to computer with Superchips. I have to bring it back to original which will most likely wipe the error codes. I'll check for codes before I go. Weather for the rest of the week is calling for 50 plus degrees, so I doubt it'll happen again until next year.

-Rob

#33 ·
I've been having this problem since last year, but only in severely cold weather (mid 20's and below). Started with just the ESP turning off (last year) Now the gauges and dash lights flash, but it runs fine. Can't tell what the headlights are doing because it has always been during the day.

Still under warranty, but the thing about having the dealer checking it is that I have programmed to computer with Superchips. I have to bring it back to original which will most likely wipe the error codes. I'll check for codes before I go. Weather for the rest of the week is calling for 50 plus degrees, so I doubt it'll happen again until next year.

-Rob
It happened to mine in hot weather and I was just thinking maybe it is because of hot wether. :icon_smile:

#30 ·
I am confused. ( Easy for me )

Sounds like we have a few issues here. Some people describe a dash light problem, some an ignition switch problem where the dash, gauges, etc go crazy, and some a headlight problem. Unless you mention it in your post it is hard (for me anyway) to figure out which one you are talking about.

I have/had the dash light problem, and I assume it is the directional/headlight control stalk. I generally run the dash lights all the way dim in the position just before turning off the dome lights. If I brighten them they are fine, but at that position once in a while they will begin to flicker. I move the dial that dims the dash lights back and forth a bunch of times and it is fine for a while ( like weeks).

#31 ·
Well, I had this happen again (see post #20) last night. This is the first time it has happened in over a year and a half. Dash and headlights began flasing on and off rapidly just like last time. I pulled off the highway into a parking lot and turned the ignition on and off several times and it was still doing it. I did the key dance to check for codes and got U0114 and U110A. U0114 = lost communication with final drive control module and U110A = lost communication with SCM (steering control module). Then the next time I started it up everything was fine and I finished my drive home with out it happening again.

#32 ·
I have kind of the same problem. My dash lights flicker but not completly off. Just dim and bright. Has been doing it for almost 2 years with no real issues. Kind of wish I could get it to stop.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#34 ·
I experienced the flashing dash lights around 80000 and replaced the ignition switch. problem solved I havent seen it return yet and have put around 16,000 miles. Its leass than $40 for the part and took about an hour to do.

#35 ·
I realize that this problem usually stops after turning the ignition to off and then to on.

So it is most probably because of ignition switch or any other computer which resets when the power is cut.

So the first thing to try is in this case the ignition switch, I think, and there are numerous positive feedback.

Thank You .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.