Jeep Commander Forum banner

Mixed feelings about the Jeep already...

7K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Erk469 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals I'm pretty silent on the boards, I usually use the search engine for information about the Jeep. I have the 2006 Limited 5.7l that I just purchased about 2-3 months ago and I'm really NOT that into it. The vehicle works for what it's supposed to. I'm a huge fan of the interior room and all of that stuff. I really didn't intend to keep this vehicle long, nor am I head over heels for it. The BIGGEST issue that I can't stand is the miles per gallon. I average about 10.9 - 11.9 city, my old 5.7l truck (with MDS) was getting 13-15 CITY. The tires are brand new, I threw some Michelin MTX A/T 2's on it recently. The car has about 61k miles, still smells like the previous owner (damn thing can't go away no matter what I do...)

My wife was being awesome and got me some roof-racks for Christmas. I'm not too sure if I should be angry because I'm still not absolutely head-over-heels for this car. Am I the only person having this issue? I'm thinking about putting a 1-2" lift on this thing to help me possibly like this car, but the MPG is so horrible - I want to kick a baby every week at the pump! (kidding). The only way where I might decide to keep this thing longer than 2-3 years is that if I had some real projectors put on this thing. Does the ecochip from autoanything really help with 2-3 mpg at least? If it does, then I'll want make this thing look more like a Jeep.

I'm still not settle with this thing, what all things have you done to help you personalize your Commander to your liking?

See less See more
#2 ·
When you drive a brick you can't expect to get 25 mpg. Take it off road and you will fall in love with it all over again.

#17 ·
When you drive a brick you can't expect to get 25 mpg.
You can if its a CRD like mine :stickpoke:

Seriously though, there are days I love it and days I think its just okay, but on those days I remember that's its better than the alternatives at that age and mileage.

Yeah perhaps you did buy wrong, you won't be the last case of buyers remorse
in the world, but how come you didn't check the mpg BEFORE you purchased it?

What did you like enough to buy it?

#3 ·
Maintenance ! Do you know the maintenance history? It's due for plugs every 30k miles, so even if maintenance was done, you're due again being at 60k now.

Check the air filter, clean the throttle body, maybe replace the PCV valve.

What gas are you using? Make sure you're running 89 octane. You'll lose MPG with 87 in the 5.7L.

Also, are you running a quality 5W20 engine oil?

Lastly, disconnect the battery and turn the key on the ON position for ~15 minutes. Then turn the key OFF and reconnect the battery. This'll reset the adaptive learning modules so the throttle/shifts/etc adaptive to your driving style.

#4 ·
I know the plugs were changed at 40k miles. It doesn't hurt to do them again. I use 87 Octane on the 5.7l because 89 in Nebraska has 10% ethanol and I don't trust it. Not too certain about the PCV. The Air Filter is a new drop in K&N installed 2k ago. The dealership changes the oil. I got them to change the oil for me for the next 6 years (part of the deal) for free.
Does cleaning the Throttle Body really help? Or do you guys spray cleaner on it and call it good?

#5 ·
I know the plugs were changed at 40k miles. It doesn't hurt to do them again. I use 87 Octane on the 5.7l because 89 in Nebraska has 10% ethanol and I don't trust it. Not too certain about the PCV. The Air Filter is a new drop in K&N installed 2k ago. The dealership changes the oil. I got them to change the oil for me for the next 6 years (part of the deal) for free.
Does cleaning the Throttle Body really help? Or do you guys spray cleaner on it and call it good?
Make sure they use 5W20 oil when they change it. The HEMI must have 5W20 for the MDS to function properly.

#6 ·
So the only reason you don't like your Commander is because it gets bad gas mileage?

#10 ·
From the Owner's Manual:

FUEL REQUIREMENTS

3.7/4.7L Engines (If Equipped)
All engines (except 5.7L engines) are designed
to meet all emissions regulations
and provide excellent fuel economy and
performance when using high quality unleaded
“regular” gasoline having an octane
rating of 87. The use of premium
gasoline is not recommended. Under normal conditions,
the use of premium gasoline will not provide a benefit
over high quality regular gasolines, and in some circumstances
may result in poorer performance.

5.7L Engines (If Equipped)
The 5.7L engine is designed to meet all
emissions regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when
using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane
range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use
of 89 octane for optimum performance. The use of
premium gasoline is not recommended. Under normal
conditions, the use of premium gasoline will not provide
a benefit over high quality regular and mid-grade gasolines,
and in some circumstances may result in poorer
performance.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to
your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at
high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is
required.

Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard
starting, stalling and hesitations. If you experience these
symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering
service for the vehicle.

#11 · (Edited)
To translate "the use of 89 octane is recommended for optimum performance" means 87 can be used but expect timing to be pulled to prevent spark knock. Pulling timing equates to reduced performance and efficiency.

Dont know how to spell it out any clearer than that. If you could have the same power and efficiency with 87, 89 wouldn't be recommended.

#14 ·
I Love my Commander. Absolutely the finest vehicle I've ever owned. No one ever bought a Jeep for it's fuel economy. I have 69,500 miles on my Commander with zero problems. (well the sunroff drains did clog up but I easily fixed that) I've been to the mountains of Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, a zillion places inbetween and all along the ******* Riviera and this baby never missed a beat. If she needs gas I put it in and never worry about MPG's. I keep it well maintained with the finest oil, sparkplugs, filters, differential, transfer case. Mine rides like a dream while cruising down the road listening to BB King's bluesville on channel 70 sirius radio. Damn, I think I'll remotely fire her up and head out for a drive. It's a beautiful day here in Missouri. We don't have mountains here but sure have some beautiful hills to glide up and down.
HT

#15 ·
OP, at no time in the purchasing of a box with a Hemi in it did you not figure out that your MPG was going to suck? Why would you buy something you don't like, it sounds to me like it's not only the mpg that you don't like about the Commander since in your opening post you say your considering a lift so that you will like the Jeep.. I don't get it..

#16 ·
Before buying our '10, we looked at Grand Wagoneers. I've had 5 of these over the years, and being a mechanic, was able to keep them on the road. Our two dogs loved our last one, an '85 we bought out of New Mexico. Rust free, excellent interior, and after I converted it to EFI, using GM TBI parts, and an aftermarket wiring harness, it was totally reliable. However, even after the EFI conversion, 11mpg was all one could expect on the highway.

Wifey was not too happy to have to constantly stop and fill the 20 gallon tank. So, with much regret, we sold it. Made some good coin on it though!
After looking at a couple more GW's, in not so good condition, gave up on buying any more of those.

Our '10 Limited is great, wife can drive it, and I like it too! It's a dual purpose vehicle for us. One, it can maneuver up and down the dirt switchbacks at our place in northern Arizona. And two, we have a seasonal restaurant back in Wisconsin where we'll use it to haul in supplies.

Yesterday, took the dogs for a ride in the warm sun. Stopped off at a restaurant, and sat outside. Using the remote to pop up the rear window, the dogs couldn't have been any happier. Us too!

#18 ·
I get between 18-20mpg with my 3.7.. It's a little weak but I have gotten use to it.. The motor runs great, it has a great ride, the 4x4 works great in deep snow and it's just different from any other SUV out there and those are the things I like about it.. I really haven't found much I don't like about it.. The interior is comfy and everything works well.. I have taken some long trips with it and I drive it for a long time without wanting to get out and stretch.. I also like that for what it is, it's heavy and you can feel it.. It's also the best vehicle for headroom I have ever owned, my 110lb German Shepherd loves all the room, I took the second row seat out and made the back seat area flat with a plywood floor covered with carpeting..

#20 ·
You're all highway driving. I get 11.8 city driving, and i've installed the k&n cai, clean the TB and replaced the sensors attached, new plugs and run high grade synthetic. I'm gonna order a pcv valve, see what that does. My my road trips are around 18+ mpg though

#19 ·
I had a similar problem when I bought my XK, switched to Sunoco 89 and went from 9.8 to 12.3.. Then made some minor mods like CAI which I know everyone says doesnt help, but it did. Also after a DiabloInTune my mpgs were consistently at 13.3 with the 91 tune. Also keep in mind winter fuels have additives that make it easier to burn in cold weather which has my current mpgs to 12.5. Id do proper maintenance plugs, pcv, and DEFINITELY throttle body cleaning. the TB is easy to clean, unplug it, 4 bolts and it comes right off. Unfortunately the emission systems on the HEMIs suck, IMO, so the oil vapos pass the pcv easily going into intake and back of TB. A cheap mod to consider would by an oil catch can as well, this prevents this build up. Again start with maintenance and change fuel, go from there...

#23 ·
It's a PCV valve...might be made out of PVC though.

#25 · (Edited)
I suspect buyers remorse is fairly common regardless of product.
If you didn't research the vehicle before you bought it, I'm not surprised that you're surprised.

Look, you own a 5000 lb square box shaped luxury SUV with 330 HP, and one of the best 4wd systems on the planet, but it doesn't get high mpgs. So what. If you don't like it get rid it, and don't let you're wife spend good money trying to.make it nicer with a roof rack, or you spending more money on a lift trying to make it likeable.

Or enjoy the great Jeep that you have.

I enjoy the H out .of mine and I don't care about the mpgs. You got to pay to play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.