Jeep Commander Forum banner

o2 sensor code

48K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeep_Ass_Nizza 
#1 ·
So I have had my XK for about 6 months now and have about 36,000 miles on her. The check engine light came on for the first time 3 weeks ago.

I take it to the dealership (it is still under warrenty) to have them check it out and see what is wrong. They come up with the code P013C which is one of the o2 sensors. They call the warrenty company, replace it, I pay my deductible and I leave.

I live about 6 miles away from the dealership and I pull onto my street and the check engine light is one once again. I call them right back and let them know whats going on, bring it back up there the next day to test it again. Same code P013C. .

They said that they didn't reset the system, so they did it once again and I go home. Two days later the light comes on again. Take it back up to the shop, leave it there over night and they replace another o2 sensor. (2 of 4). I pick it up again and pull onto my street and the darn light comes on again.

So again I take it back up to the shop they run the test and the same code comes back up. Doesn't make any sense. I myself don't know that much about cars as is, but am trying to learn as much as I can.

Has anyone had this problem before?? Sorry for the novel but I just want to get answers because the shop can't figure it out. They have to get in touch with the warrenty company and try to see if they can replace the last two o2 sensors. I don't know if that is going to fix this problem or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no expert but I did some interweb searching and found this:

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Maintenance/Sensor/Oxygen-Sensor

But it doesn't explain why the O2 sensors would get a slow to response code thrown after being replaced.

They are supposed to send signals to the computer to adjust gas mixture constantly from rich to lean and lean to rich, to maintain optimum mixture. The slow to respond means the o2 sensors are not seeing a correction of mixture within a specificed time period (slow to respond).

My guess is either they were faulty or they were installed incorrectly, or the computer that receives the signal and stores the fault is malfunctioning or didn't get cleared or the process of changing from rich to lean to rich is malfunctioning.

But I'm no mechanic. We have some good ones here that will chime in.

#4 ·
P013C is clearly defined as the downstream (after the catalytic converter) sensor on bank 2, which is the driver's side engine bank of cylinders.

Look under your truck, I bet the two they've replaced so far aren't in the sensor 2 bank 2 position!

The dealer is either clueless or taking you (and the warranty company) for a ride.

#7 · (Edited)
I could NOT find anything with a quick search on P013C, so you want to confirm what it means.

It is possible they replaced the wrong O2 sensor.

Its also possible the problem is NOT the O2 sensor, but something related to the O2 sensor, thats why it keeps setting the code, even though they've replaced the O2 sensor multiple times.

O2 sensor slow to respond, that could mean:
  • The O2 sensor is bad
  • There could be something wrong with the wiring of the O2 sensor
  • There could be something wrong with the engine creating exhaust that isn't making the O2 sensor respond as quickly as it should.
  • There could be something wrong with the Catalytic Converter, which the downstream O2 sensor is there to monitor the output of the CAT, that cause the O2 sensor to respond to slowly.
The Dealership should have Factory Service Manuals with specific troubleshooting procedures to narrow down the actual cause to fix it, instead of just performing the most obvious replacement again and again, with the same result, which is failure.
An independent shop may NOT be able to support individual service manuals for your specific vehicle, but something like this is fairly generic in operation to other vehicles, they should have some sort of trouble shooting guide.

Yes, the Dealership should have the advantage over independent shops, with factory service manuals and special tools. BUT, sadly, the Dealerships have been so insulated from competition for various reasons, they have no incentive to maintain any quality and despite having all the advantages, they still can't do as good of a job as an independent shop. The manufacturers have even, for all practical purposes, locked DIY'er and Independent shops out of a lot of the elctronics in your vehicle forcing you to the dealership as the only one to be able to perform the procedure to repair your vehicle.

#8 ·
If it were catalyst efficiency, you'd have a P0420 or P0430 code too.

Wiring, you'd have multiple codes set: open circuit, etc.

It's likely a bad sensor and the dealer just didn't know the position that code specifies (again, it is B2S2). The calibration has a specific O2 sensor response diagnostic that runs per trip and that sensor failed it. The diagnostic works by step changing the AFR and looking for a certain response factor from the sensors.

Carbon, phosphorus (oil poisoning) and sulfur are all things that can degrade O2 sensors. Assuming you're not running pig rich, burning a bunch of oil or using high sulfur fuel, it is prob just a bad sensor at that loc'n, otherwise the other sensors would have problems too.

It happens.

#9 ·
If you want to experiment yourself, swap the rear O2 sensors side to side and clear the codes w/an OBDII reader (you can borrow these from auto parts stores). If you get another code shortly after and it is "P013A", you know for a fact the sensor you moved to the passenger side is bad.

#10 ·
If you want to experiment yourself, swap the rear O2 sensors side to side and clear the codes w/an OBDII reader (you can borrow these from auto parts stores). If you get another code shortly after and it is "P013A", you know for a fact the sensor you moved to the passenger side is bad.
Yes, that is a very good trouble shooting step.

And thanks, I did NOT mention that in cases where a good O2 sensor is showing bad because of other problems causing it, you should get other codes for those problems with the O2 sensor.

Its possible to get just the O2 sensor code, and NOT codes for something else being slightly off, when its a good O2 sensor, but NOT likely.

And finally, keep in mind, the O2 sensor are mounted in the exhaust, and the wires sometimes get too close to the exhaust and melt and short. That is why O2 sensors have fairly long pig tails for connecting to the harness, so you replace the melted wire with the O2 sensor, but its possible wires and connectors farther up on the wire harness were damaged, and the shorts or open circuits from that damage is causing the PCM to see the O2 sensor as bad. You can look the wiring over yourself and see if you see any damaged wiring or connectors.

If swapping sensors around, and the problem stays at the location and does NOT move with the sensor, then the wiring would be the first thing I suspect.

#11 ·
Today will be day number 12 without any phone calls from the dealership about the O2 sensor code that keeps coming up every time they scan it. I just don't see why it is now taking this long for them to come up with an answer as to why this is happening. I think it is now time for a phone call to their office and get to the bottom of this. This is just nuts...

#12 ·
The service manager at the dealership where I go, kept me very informed about the parts chase they had over a few days. You should call them... and then when you're done talking to him this time, ask him when you will hear from him again... and if you don't, then call him.

Maybe he did call and leave a message but at a wrong number. It is possible.

#13 ·
Ask the warranty company about taking it to another shop to have it repaired, when the shops answer is to replace all the O2 sensors when you get a reoccurance for 1 specific O2 sensor, it does NOT say a lot for their competence.

There are usually trouble shooting steps to narrow down what the problem could be, I can see skipping them the first time, when it looks so obvious to be just a bad O2 sensor, but later when its shown the problem is worse then just an O2 sensor going bad, they continue to just keep throwing parts at obviously unrelated items, doesn't sound like they know what they are doing.

#14 ·
Let us know what the dealer says. Id be rather upset if they had my Jeep for 12 days with no call. Im sure I would have called after the 3rd day for something simply like that.

#16 ·
jeep- they didn't have my xk for 12 days, it was 12 days since they told me they would get in touch with me..

I dropped off the xk AGAIN last night and got a call this morning. They checked all wiring, relocated all o2 sensors from front to back and all around (from what they said) and the same code still comes up. The warrenty company won't pay for the 2 other o2 sensors to be replaced because they do not see that as being part of the problem. They suggested they replace them, but if they didn't work that I would have to pay out of pocket for them. They said $350 for 2.

The dealership suggested I just drive it around as is until something else comes out of the problem. (they shouldn't have said that) And then they gave me a 800 number to call Chrysler and tell them the trouble that I am having. I can't stand this crap anymore. 6 trips to the dealership and still no answers and my stupid check engine light is still on

#17 ·
Round # 1025467

The Commander is back at the shop as of last night, they will look at it again today. I spoke (yelled) at the warranty company for not wanting to replace parts and all that good stuff. Turns out, the dealership isn't giving them enough information about wanting to replace the last 2 o2 sensors with new. The dealership is just guessing at the problem and not trouble shooting.

I spoke with Jeep and opened a case with them. They have offered to pay for the bill to replace the last 2 o2 sensors (which would make all 4 brand new) BUT, I have to pay a deductable of $110.00 (its like a $280 job) Only problem with this is.... I will be short $110 if this doesn't fix the problem. If it does then the warranty company will pay for it. It is a cluster ####.

Would anyone else go about this different that I am? I just want to get this fixed, it has been going on for way to long and I haven't received an answer on why this is happening. The dealership has changed around all the o2 sensors from front to back, back to front and side to side and still shows the same code. They checked the continuity of the wires and all that. (So they say this is what they have done)

#26 ·
The dealership has changed around all the o2 sensors from front to back, back to front and side to side and still shows the same code. They checked the continuity of the wires and all that. (So they say this is what they have done)
That tells me the problem is NOT the O2 sensors, but the location of the O2 sensor, either something wrong with the exhaust system at that point or something wrong with the wiring.

They should be doing more than a continuity check, they should be follow the wires and checking connectors all the way back to the PCM, see if they can see anything wrong. A crack or bad gasket in the exhaust can let in air, although less likely by the Downstream O2 sensor, but the air could be throwing off the sensor and the PCM sees the sensor out of range, because its detecting more O2 than it should.

#18 ·
My local auto parts store sells our o2 sensors for $44 a piece. Now I know not to go to dealer if I ever have to change any of mine out.

#20 · (Edited)
I hear you. Wish I could help you out but im stumped. When they swapped out o2 sensors to different locations, you would think the code would have changed if you had a bad sensor since its in a new location. But it didnt.

#21 ·
That is what I was thinking too. I am kind of skeptical about this dealership. I just feel like they are being lazy and aren't doing exactly what they are say they are doing. It is all guess work as far as I am concerned. Hopefully I will get a phone call here in a little while with an update on whets going on with it.

#22 ·
I wonder if they even swapped the sensors like they say they did. Thats why I dont like anyone else working on my vehicles.

#23 ·
Who knows. I wish I could work on my own vehicles. I just don't know how to. Jeeps are just now becoming a big hobby of mine, so I might as well learn how. It would save me some $$$$ too. I just got a call from the dealership and they did replace the last two sensors and took it for a few small trips and no sign of the check engine light coming on. He said they will keep taking it around for a few more test drives and see what happens and call me back in a hour. Hopefully all goes well

#24 ·
Well hopefully that did the trick. Thats another thing too. I cant stand when other people drive my Jeep....lol

#28 ·
Good luck!!!!

#29 ·
Well.....I picked up the XK and drove it about 20 miles and the light hasn't come back on yet. Hopefully it will not come back on anytime soon. Before I left the lot I even just turned on the accessories to make sure they didn't disable the check engine light (that wouldn't be cool). But so far so good!!! Only time will tell since it isn't a everyday vehicle due to my wife being on bed rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.