Jeep Commander Forum banner

Urbancrawler's Garage

15K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  teckels 
#1 · (Edited)
I couldn't resist keeping this jeep stock for any longer
...so I'm building it up for expedition use (camping/extended road-trips/towing/mild off-road)

Here is what I'm working with as a base:

2008 Black XK Limited Commander
-5.7 Hemi V8
-545RFE 5spd Trans
-NV245 Tcase w/ 2.72:1 Low Range
-Electronic LSD front and Rear
-3.73 Gearing
-Limited interior/exterior package
-Mygig Nav/Hard drive/DVD/Rear Screen/Backup Camera
-Tow Pkg. Rated for 7200lbs w/ sway control
-HD Roof Rails w/ snowboard mounts
-Seating for 7

My plans for the build:

-2" Old Man Emu suspension lift w/ springs and struts
-Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks
-32" BFG MT Tires
-17" Rubicon Wheels Powder Coated Black w/ TPSs
-1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers

-Rocky Road Outfitters Super Sliders
-Rusty's Off-road 1/4" strut spacers
-4xGuard Front skid
-4xGuard Matrix Bumper/Brush Guard/Front Receiver
-4xGuard Belly Skid
-Electronic Trailer Brake Controller
-Custom Computer Workstation
-Forward Mounted HD Video Camera
-Rear Custom Bed / 3rd row removed with slide out storage unit or Roof Mounted Tent Setup
-Aluminum Custom Roof rack and Custom Tire Carrier w/ Aux. Driving Lights
-Dual Battery Setup
-Front/Rear Remote Winch Setup
-Lock-pick For My-gig/Nav
-K&N Panel Filter
-Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust
-Superchips Flashpaq Tuner
-Front Windows Tinted

RED INDICATES PARTS ORDERED OR I HAVE READY TO INSTALL OR HAVE INSTALLED
As the parts start arriving I will update what has been added to the vehicle...I hope to include video/pictures/and install write-ups as I get closer and closer to my end goal. Thanks that is all for now.

See less See more
Reactions: Core
#3 ·
I live and work in Sussex county, but I'm all over the place....32,000 miles in the 8months I've had my Jeep!

#4 ·
Sounds like a great plan. Looking forward to watching your Commander grow up.

#8 ·
Finally LIfted!

Is this picture with the OME coils and struts installed along with the Rustys 1/4 leveling spacer? I'm trying to decide if I will need to install my 1/4 inch leveling spacers with the OME struts/coils I just purchased. Also how are the JBA UCA's? Was it easy to get the XK aligned after they were installed. Also, are your tires wearing normal? Im thinking about buy them friday.

#6 ·
That looks sweet!

#7 ·
thanks! I have to get some better pics up when its all cleaned up, but for now I think its a good teaser shot!

#10 ·
Looks Great

#12 ·
He hasn't posted in here in over 2 1/2 years.

#17 · (Edited)
2 posts on this forum and your going to act like a tough guy... Lol

Normally when people don't post in years it's because they probably sold their jeep. I'm sure if you would really like to know jeep5253 can tell you the last time he was active on the forum.
No one is acting like a tuff guy here except ironically you. I just asked a simple question and you felt it necessary to reply to the "new guy" with a smart :2232censored: answer.

The last activity on this thread was fairly recent (although not from the OP) and as jeep5253 kindly pointed out he is still here on the board. Maybe next time I will just PM the OP so as to avoid guys like you who don't have any valuable input to offer yet jump at the chance to bully and name call (tuff guy) those of us who are new to the forum. I just recently bought my XK and just looking for some info from other owners, so if you don't have any don't bother replying... :icon_puke:

#14 ·

Normally when people don't post in years it's because they probably sold their jeep. I'm sure if you would really like to know jeep5253 can tell you the last time he was active on the forum.

#15 ·

Actually, his last activity wasn't that long ago: 08-20-2012.

#16 ·
Well that's good to hear!!

#19 · (Edited)
I'm still here....so simmer down now :weed:

So I forgot all about this thread- change of workplace, breaking my leg, etc. etc. anyways I'm back!

And yes I still have my jeep (still love it) and have over 127,000 miles to boot with many trips to Rausch Creek and other off-road destinations under its belt!

I just brought it to the shop to see if they are going to replace my front axle shafts, radiator cap, and front prop shaft under warranty...fingers crossed. I sold the wheels and tires, bought new 265/70/17 General Grabber ATs which I love and put them on some machined Rubi wheels.

(While typing this I received the call:phone:.... All parts replaced under lifetime warranty!:beerchug:) MEGEE MOTORS in Georgetown, Delaware ROCKS!)

Anyways back to my jeep two summers ago I bought a sweet roof top tent and used it for one season then decided it was a PITA to fully open up on top of a 6 1/2' tall Jeep while trying to balance on my tires , so I sold it....I've decided to replace it with either a hard shell style tent that costs big $$$ or get a hard to find Coleman/Fleetwood Neon pop up, or an off-road trailer with tent as my next expedition setup!

My jeep needs new skids and bumpers - stock plastic suck! I haven't found new ones I like yet so I might be making some bumpers (depending on motivation) and getting new skids to go with from 4xGuard.

Mods to date:
OME HD lift w/ shocks/struts
265/70/17 General Grabber ATs
17" Rubicon Moabs
Spidertrax 1.5" wheels spacers
Jeepin by Al Upper A-arms
Rustys 1/2" front strut spacers
4xGuard Rear diff guard
AEM intake w/ dryflow filter
Magnaflow Exhaust
Superchips Flashpaq
Powerstop slotted/cross drilled rotors front and rear
Hawk carbon/kevlar pads

Gone but not forgotten:
Mombasa Roof top tent
255/75/17 BFG MTs
Black Powder Coated 17" Moabs
Bilstein 5150 rear shocks
18" Sahara wheels/tires
JBA disconnects

Need to do:
replace all bushings :(
replace all skids
replace collapsed passenger side cat converter
replace O2 sensors
replace TREs
replace bumpers front and rear
replace passenger side flares
replace inner fender liners
pull dent from tree that jumped out and hit me
replace t-case/diff fluids
replace IAT sensor that I effed up while installing intake :(

Tent:

What it looks like now:

#24 ·
I don't have inner fender liners installed but if I did they would rub a bit at full ****, as it sits with the 1.5" wheel spacers (needed to fit the jk moabs) it only rubs when at full articulation with the wheels turned. Hopefully this answers your question. I need to bang the pinch weld a little to make it perfect.

#25 ·
Future plans for the jeep not including the maintenance stuff I already posted about include:

- iPad mount (already ran a a/v/power cable for it from the rear source)
- Aftermarket skids all around and a new gas tank skid
- Some sort of winch mount in the front bumper area and winch (Saguaro 4x4 has a sweet setup for the WK)
- Rear storage area including stand up spare tire mount (sick of the tire bouncing around all the time!)
- Rock rails
- Tint the front windows to match rear (I have a waiver :icon_biggrin:)

Time to start saving up and ticking off the boxes!

#27 ·
no they are all thin steel, I have the off-road skid plate package that has better skid plates than normally come standard...I'm just hard on my jeep and the rocks have really done a number on them over the last few years.

#28 ·
Just an update...decided to come up with a one-off design for a spare tire carrier since the stock one doesn't work anymore and I don't use my third row at all

heres a teaser pic:

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

#29 ·
How big of a tire will fit on that??

#31 ·
Hmmm. Was hoping you were going to say a 34 would fit

#32 ·
It's possible depending on the tire and the true measurements, it would be a pretty tight fit but it's possible....I can try and find a 34" tire at my friends tire shop to test fit it this week sometime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.