Jeep Commander Forum banner

spacers needed with rubicon's and 245's and 2in lift?

9K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  707 
#1 · (Edited)
spacers needed with rubicon's and 245's and 2in lift? UPDATE! NEED SOME HELP!

i found a great deal on a full set of five 2012 rubicon rims. i will be going for a 2in spacer lift and looking to stick with close to stock tire size, nothing more then 255. would i be able to run a 245/75 on a stock rubicon rim, with no spacing with a 2in lift? im looking to run a mild tire for daily driving with weekend fun.

thanks

#2 ·
i found a great deal on a full set of five 2012 rubicon rims. i will be going for a 2in spacer lift and looking to stick with close to stock tire size, nothing more then 255. would i be able to run a 245/75 on a stock rubicon rim, with no spacing with a 2in lift? im looking to run a mild tire for daily driving with weekend fun.

thanks
Rubicon wheels wont bolt directly on our Jeeps. You need at least a 1/4 inch wheel spacer up front to clear the brake caliper bracket. With a lift, you can run 245/75's with the stock rubicon rim (but like mentioned before will still need at least a 1/4 inch spacers up front to clear caliper bracket)

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. After some research and thinking i think I'm going to run near stock rims and just go for a 255/75/17 tire with 1.5in spacers and if I can get one a RC 2in lift. I'm still waiting on a call back to see if there is one a available for order. My tire guy is trying to get me to go with a 265/70 but I don't know f it will fit with the 2in lift and 1.5in spacers? Any imput. From what. Have seen the 255 selections are decent and are a good fit for these jeeps

#4 ·
[quote=707;217420]Thanks for the reply. After some research and thinking i think I'm going to run near stock rims and just go for a 255/75/17 tire with 1.5in spacers and if I can get one a RC 2in lift. I'm still waiting on a call back to see if there is one a available for order. My tire guy is trying to get me to go with a 265/70 but I don't know f it will fit with the 2in lift and 1.5in spacers? Any imput. From what. Have seen the 255 selections are decent and are a good fit for these jeeps[/quote]
This thread may help---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

#5 ·
[quote=707;217420]Thanks for the reply. After some research and thinking i think I'm going to run near stock rims and just go for a 255/75/17 tire with 1.5in spacers and if I can get one a RC 2in lift. I'm still waiting on a call back to see if there is one a available for order. My tire guy is trying to get me to go with a 265/70 but I don't know f it will fit with the 2in lift and 1.5in spacers? Any imput. From what. Have seen the 255 selections are decent and are a good fit for these jeeps
This thread may help---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

.[/QUOTE]

Huge help. Looks like the 255 is going to be my selection. I still want the spacers. Have yet to hear back from my guy about the kit but I'm hoping it will be in stock. Ill be ordering the spacers tonight after I do some much needed riding on my supermoto.

#8 ·
thanks for the answer i was looking for. i was just looking at spacers and found that rough country makes 1.5in spacers and they are on sale for $60 a pair.

that seems to be a real deal, any imput. i know they make good stuff.

#10 ·
no real time frame..im the kind of guy who is fairly impulsive and loves to have things now rather than later. but at the moment i have two other projects that im in the middle of and frankly the commander is fine the way it is until spring.

first in order would have to be my loved SM. shes in the middle of a winter overhaul and as of tonight shes about 75% the BMW behind it is my second. the front end needs to be pulled off for me to replace the coolant overflow and the idle pulley needs replaced. and while im in there a few other goodies will be going in.

#11 ·
Just ordered 2 sets of 1.5in. Spacers. Going to order the RC lift Tuesday and going in for tires and rims this weekend!

#12 · (Edited)
okay quick question(s)

i went ahead and ordered 17x8 aftermarket rims with a medium offset..they said some it's 4.25-4.5...i cant remember which one sorry. so if im getting this right. with that offset i would be pushing the tires out close to 2 inches further than stock?
http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheel_detail.cfm?brand=1&id=736
they recommended trying the Toyo open country AT 265/70/17's to test fit and if we had to switch to the 255's.

at the same time they will be installing the tough country 2in lift.

what em i missing..sorry guys i really dont know what im talking about and all the numbers are giving me a headache

#14 ·
so im assuming that the medium offset would be +10mm?

so i could probably get away with minor trimming without using spacers with these rims and the 265's?

this jeep will likely never meet the suspensions full capabilities. trips to the sierras and having fun in the mud. i would assume that if i used my spacers i could actually cause more rubbing issues than without them

#15 ·
I've never heard someone use the term "medium" offset.

Is there a part number on your order? Just match it up with the tech specs in the link you posted.

Either of those wheels will work alright. The +10mm version will look a bit better with the slightly wider stance

#16 ·
no part number, i'll check tomorrow when i drop by the shop. the only thing he mentioned was that the spacing that he is ordering he advised that spacers wouldn't be needed. so im still assuming that it would be the 10mm you mentioned. but i guess i'll find out.

im very excited. im heading to the snow next week and im going to try and play around and get a feel for the new set up.

#17 ·
so i stopped by the shop and they ordered the narrower ones with the +25mm offset and the 5.50 back spacing.. will it really show that much of a difference in stance between the 5.50 BS and the 4.9BS with the 17x8 rims and the 265/70/17 toyos?

the only thing is...i bought 1.5in. spacers thinking i was going to go with a stock tire but now i have to try and sell them. or would they work with this BS and offset and tire choice?

#20 ·
That's my weekend cabin!!! Yes thank you!! It does fit right at home there.

My spacers arrived from rough country today. Tomorrow morning I'm going to check on the lift and rims. And if they are in ill see about dropping the jeep off a day early to get done before the weekend

#21 ·
So after a few goofs with ups. All the pieces to the puzzle have made it.

I bought the 1.5in wheel spacers before I purchased rims. The rims have 5.5in of back spacing so I doubt the spacers will be used. The lift is here and the 265/70/17 Toyos are ready to go on.

Should have some pics tomorrow night.

#22 ·
just dropped it off!!

i can't wait, i was hoping to have more time before i left for the mountains to play around and get a feel for the new set up but oh well.

on a side note..

the other day out of nowhere my battery goes ahead and takes a dump on me. i had been reading about people re setting the computer to re learn my driving but had never looked more into it. but i did and wow, it improved my MPG pretty well. im very pleased. never thought it would do much of anything accept re set the dash

#23 · (Edited)
update:

so i wasn't able to fit the 265/70/17's they rubbed just a bit too much on the coolant lines. we decided to go with the 265/65/17 toyo AT 11's a bit more aggressive tire but it fit without rub. i didnt get pictures because it's too dark but make the ride is so much smoother.

i'll get pics tomorrow.

Sneak peek

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks!!

The 265/70 did fit but I rubbed on half and full turn on the coolant lines just enough to make me want to try the 265/65. They fit perfect. I didn't trim or do the pinch weld either. I'm still thnking about wheel spacers. I have 1.5in spacers that I didn't put on but I think I want to try 1in spacers.

Nice jeep, I had been looking at it for awhile before I got mine lifted to guesstimate what mine was going to look like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.