Jeep Commander Forum banner

Using a Fram oil filter? REMOVE IT! also what oil/filter combo you running?

15K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  jeeps19 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all I was reading some different oil forums today (motor oil interests me) and came across this and I quote

: Found this on the web, supposedly from an engineer that used to work for fram:
Russell,
I obtained great satisfaction from reading your oil filter survey.
I worked for two years as the oil-filter production line engineer in
An Allied-Signal FRAM facility and I can confirm every bad thing you
Have said about FRAM automotive filters. That's from the horses
Mouth, as it were.
I'm also a quality engineer and can confirm that FRAM applies no
Quality control whatsoever to any of the characteristics for which we
Buy oil filters. I frequently saw filter designs which were barely
Capable of meeting J806. Many of FRAM's designs will block and go to
Bypass after trying to filter very little contamination. There were
Often leakage paths at the paper end discs when these were not
Properly centered on the elements. Some designs had the pleats so
Tightly packed against the center tube that they would block off in no
Time. I had discovered that the FRAM HP1 that I had been buying for
About $20 Cud was EXACTLY the same as a PH8 inside - the only
Difference being a heavier can - no advantages in flow capacity. The
Paper filtration media was of apparently poor quality and the process
Of curing the paper resin was very inconsistent - elements would range
From visibly burnt to white. FRAM's marketers admitted that there was
Just about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filter
Contributed, or did not prevent, engine damage. The only thing FRAM
Tested for was can burst strength. Another problem that they have from
Time to time is in threading the filter base - often there are strands
Of metal left behind on a poorly formed thread.
I have not used a FRAM filter since I started working there. Their
Claims are entirely and completely marketing bull crap.
If people really want to protect their engines, a good oil filter is
Vital (which excludes FRAM from that list as well) and a combination
Of one depth and one full-flow hydraulic filter, together in parallel,
Will do the job of filtration to perfection."

I have never used a Fram and am glad I didn’t use one. On bob is the oil guy, a guy rated filters by cutting them open and here are the results as follows, #1 Mobil 1 #2 wix or Napa gold same filter, #3 Amsoil, #4 Royal purple, #5 purolator
This was not official results but this guy ranked them based on the guts of the filters, FRAM IS CARDBOARD!! I am a firm believer in Wix and Royal purple but I just bought a Mobil 1 @ oreily tonight for 9.99 on sale M1-204 is the part number for the 4.7 and hemi engines, very nice filter and is heavy I will pair this with Mobil 1 extended performance 5w30 and will change this combo at 7500 miles I recently tried the hps 5w30 from royal purple with one of their filters and I was impressed I put 12,000 on the oil and will change it tomorrow so far the engine performance is the same as any FULL synthetic I have tried, the true test will be the Blackstone engine oil analysis I get done on the RP. I will report back.
Just thought I’d let you know about fram filters although many of you do know this already. Reply on this thread with what oil/ filter combo you run.

See less See more
#3 ·
Mobil1 oil filter and Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-20 oil.

#4 ·
Yes, you will read about the poor quality in Fram oil filters on BITOG forum. For the same price, you can buy a Purolator classic filter which does not have cardboard end caps.

However, there is no point in buying a high end filter (Mobil 1, Rp, Amsoil, Bosch Distance +, etc) if you not going to extend your drain interval. That is also the main purpose in synthetics, to extend drain intervals.

Just my 2 cents.

#9 ·
Any thoughts on the whole "chrysler engines need certain filters because of a check valve" theory? I have heard of people getting warranties voided because they used an aftermarket filter on a chrysler product. Its crazy but I'm having all sorts of problems with my 07 hemi that I've owned for 3 months and noticed that the ford dealer i bought it from used a generic oil filter. Going to change the oil soon and put a genuine mopar filter on it. Maybe somehow that will stop my stalling issue. :shinner:

#10 ·
Royal Purple or Mobil 1 with K&N oil filter every 10,000

#12 ·
I have used Fram oil filters from time to time on many cars over the last 50 years and never had any problems with it. I really liked the rough finish they put on so it was easier to grab by hand. I see other brands now have that - was that a Fram invention?

#13 ·
I really like the 1" nut on the end of K&N. Its going on and staying on until you take it off with that 1" socket

#14 ·
I see that 1" nut on lots of filters, but very hard to get a socket onto the Commander 5.7 filter, my hand fits in there better.

#15 ·
I never had a problem getting in there with a socket and if you cant get it with your hand its a pain getting a filter wrench around it and having room to turn it. If you noticed my signature I also have a Hemi wink

#16 ·
been using Mopar filters with Pennz. Ultra oil. My Hemi did not like the Pure1 filter I threw on at one point, so I went back to Mopars. Too many horror stories on Frams. Id stay away unless you are using the extra guard. Baldwin, k&N, Mobil 1, Wix are all great filters if you dont like Mopars.

#17 ·
Just got back from a Thanksgiving trip in the mountains and before going, decideded to swap out the Royal purple for Mobile 1 full synthetic with the M1 extended performance filter. Also added 1qt of seafoam to tank. Runs like a beast!

#19 ·
When in Az. We had a company called Yavapai Fleet, all the County, City, etc. bought oil filters , hoses there. They had about 6 filters cut so you could actually see what's inside. It was amazing the difference. Some as Fram had hardly no paper inside. I always go with Wix or Baldwin. I stared buying Wix for my Cummins Diesel truck and my Backhoe . A mechanic friend said those Cummins motors are 10k for a long block, so take care of it!!
So I started using Wix in everything.
A Orielly's here stocks the Wix Filters.

#20 ·
I heard Wix makes the filters for Napa Auto Parts also.

#21 · (Edited)
Fram has several lines of Oil Filters and they are of varying quality, but considering the inferior quality of their "Orange" filter, I just stay away from Fram Oil Filters.

There are more sources than this original post, just cut one open yourself, offering credible evidence that the "Orange" Frams are inferior.

As far as, "I've used Fram Filters for Years and Never had a problem", lots of people use inferior products for years and never have a problem, lots of people use other filters for years and never have a problem. BUT, the number of people that have used Fram Filters for years and did have problems is far higher than the others. I know some people that did, I've cut them open myself as well, they're crap and I won't use them. At the very least the anti-drain back valve seals against their cardboard end caps, which means it doesn't seal, which means the oil drains journals in the engine while it sits and your starting your motor without oil and running it much longer than other other filters.

Genuine "Mopar" Filters. Umm, Mopar buys their filters in big lots and always goes with the lowest bidder to slap the Mopar Label on the outside. Years ago, they even had a few runs of the old Orange Frams. From best I can tell, Mopar doesn't do that anymore, I haven't heard or seen anything to indicate "Mopar" filters are inferior like Fram. Personally, I'm NOT convinced Mopar filters are superior, NOR I know what I'm getting. In a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Mopar Filter, but if I'm going to spend my money I'm going to get something that I know is the best.

Yes, Mobil1 filters may be the best, but they cost 3 times as much as filters that are very close to them.

I use Hastings Oil Filters, I've cut them open they are better than the others, much more surface area on the media, pleats are separated, good sealing bypass valve and anti-drain backs, etc. AMSOIL, before they started marketing their own brand of oil filters, sold Hastings Filters.

Purolator One's and Wix Filters I will use as well.

I thought I read somewhere that the NAPA filters are Wix Filters, AMSOIL also refers to and recommends Wix filters as well.

K&N Oil Filters also have a great reputation, but are expensive and hard to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.