Jeep Commander Forum banner

Installed AEM intake

14K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  fco27 
#1 ·
I finally installed a AEM Brute Force intake on my 4.7 today. The directions were easy to follow and not to hard. It sounds great! Not much at idle. You have to stomp it to get it to sound off. My wife went for the first drive with me she was slightly irratated...I would stomp it slow down and do it gain! The best part was a couple young kids waiting at the light. I got into it and they looked to see what was growling...it was not a mom's suv for sure! I'm on a role, tomorrow my lift goes on.

#5 ·
I love the sound when I get on my AEM too.

#7 ·
Thanks, That is still one of my favorite mods.

#9 ·
Is there any difference between this CAI and K&N's? Or is it just price?
The difference is minimal I would think (my opinion) between the different CAI's available. It really comes down to brand loyalty and personal preference. I liked the polished look of the AEM.

#18 ·
I have the same AEM CAI on my 4.7. I gat a slight whistle when i am cruising around 1500 RPM. Anyone else ever get this and if so any tips on what in could be. I have double checked everything and it is all tight and secure. Any help would greatly appreciated
I have this problem too any ideas on how to eliminate it??
Thanks

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
So Ive had the commander for less than a week now, I figure its about time to do a couple of things.

3. Really excited to put my intake on. Was going to wait, but to change the plugs, I will have to take off the air box, so might as well.

Ill put some pics and some numbers up, any quick tips for me?

#17 ·
I had the AEM Brute Force in my Dodge Ram for about 4 years. The filter is washable and AEM makes a solution to wash it with. Its pretty easy to wash and I would do it about every 20,000 miles depending on where you live. The solution comes with easy step by step instructions and Im pretty sure you can buy it from jegs.com. Loved the AEM, I have a 3.7 in my commander so I dont have the option to get the AEM. :mad:

#19 ·
I've got the "whistle" as well - but I've got a self-built 4" from Spectre parts (see my profile for pics). It's actually coming from your throttle body and is related to throttle position/air flow over the VAF (Vane Air Flow). I change the configuration of my intake quite a bit (change angles, length,etc..) and where the filter end is at determines if I hear it at all. W/the stock intake you'll never hear it because of the resonator up top and the stock box @ the bottom.

#20 ·
Just a question. I am about to install my aem intake on my 4.7 tomorrow but my only concern is since the directions tell you to remove the entire housing for the filter, will that endanger my intake from picking up mud or water? There won't be a bottom cover so I was just wanting to to know if anyone else had this issue.

#23 ·
I think you would have to suck an awful lot of water to have it cause a problem. (like damaging a sensor or causing hydro-lock.). Are you forging through streams or something?

#25 ·
I do not normally go deep into streams since I do not have 4x4. I did install mine and the instructions are very easy to install and the computer did eventually reset it self after a day or so(the engine light was on for a day). I have done some slight mud puddles and stuff and gone into a dirt field to test and it worked great. No lie though, when you get up on the throttle, she breathes fire!!

#26 ·
I wanted to touch base with y'all about the AEM Brute Force polished intake. I got her installed a month or so ago, she sounds great! She runs very well even with the intake being aftermarket. No real hiccups either, just straight performance. I have noticed better throttle response off road with the intake and even through some light mud and water. The mileage difference is really just about .5 - 1.5 mpgs better. So it really didn't help with that but the noise she makes when you get up on it, its just worth the whole procedure. I would recommend this one for sure!

#27 ·
Another satisfied AEM customer here. 2007 4.7. I've ran intakes on a lot of vehicles for a lot of years, so I had no qualms about installing an AEM product on my Jeep. Noticed a slight mileage bump, but that wasn't the point at all. The install is straight forward, instructions are good. I had to flip my cruise control box 180* and that wasn't mentioned, but wasn't hard to figure out.

#28 ·
Do any of you guys know if the AEM air bypass valve would fit with the intake on a 4.7 if so what size would it be is it the 2.50 - 2.75 or the 3.00. Any feed back would be appreciated.

#31 ·
I don't have the bottom installed and just be smart about the depth. I've gone a through water a little deeper than the commander door trim and a little over the top of my tires taking it slow. Since the filter draws from all sides I cant imagine there would be issues unless it was submerged or even partially.. A splash or two is really no different than driving around on a very rainy day with a lot of spray. When I'm finished playing in the dust and mud, I spray it out and let it dry until I go playing again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.