Jeep Commander Forum banner

2006 jeep commander does not start

24K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bbroadway 
#1 ·
Car will not start. When you try to start the car, there is a clicking noise.

#2 ·
Did it make the clicking sound the first time you tried to start it, or did it start and run for a few seconds and quit, twice, before you just heard the click? :icon_confused:
1. If it just clicks, it's probably a bad battery connection, or possibly a bad battery.
2. If it did the above, the car does not recognize the key. It is the anti-theft system hard at work! Walk around the Jeep 3 times while locking and unlocking the doors with your key. For some reason this action causes the Jeep to re-recognize the key. My dealer showed me this. It works! :eyemouth:

#3 · (Edited)
Do a search for threads, there are several on this issue. I have had bad starters, corroded connections, others have had bad batterys. They even replaced the skim modual on mine. If it is intermittent, try turning the key several times to see if it starts.

#4 ·
Dead battery symptoms, NOT the case.

As everyone else is experiencing the same problem, I wish I had read the forum before I went out and spent 150 bones on a new battery. It is the connections on the Positive wiring harness from the battery. It just did it to me, wouldnt start. I poped the hood, gave the wiring harness from the positive side a good shake, and Tah-Dah! Started right up. Now I just need to get in there and go over all the conections and add some Corrosion Preventative to them. Not going to be fun, but it is the answer. Good luck everyone.

#6 ·
Jeep Commander 2006 will not start fixed:

I was having problems starting my 2006 Jeep Commander. When the Jeep would sit over night I could not start the engine the following morning, just a Click from the starter. I could get the engine to start if I used the remote Key to lock and ulock the doors a couple to times. Had a new battery, it seemed like the anti theft system was not recognizing my remote key.

Then one day that would not work. Had AAA come out to assist. He took a rubber hammer and tapped on the starter while I turned the key and we got the starter to turn over and start the engine. The starter sounded weak. Drove the Jeep to the dealership and they could not get it to start after sitting for a couple of hours or more.

Turned out to be a bad starter. Starter was replaced, starter heat shield was updated.

Jeep is starting up just fine now and sounds stronger. It also eliminated the anti theft system not reconizing the key.

It looks like it was a bad starter all along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.