Jeep Commander Forum banner

07 commander shutting down

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Commander68 
#1 ·
I have an 07 commander. 2 days ago I got in the jeep and started it to warm up and backed out of my driveway and went to put it in drive and the engine shut down. It has never done this before nor have I heard any other commander doing this. It goes into park the way it should. Even goes into reverse and operates just fine. But as soon as I put it in drive the engine dies. It's not really an instant shut down. Almost sounds lime the engine is binding or something. I asked the local dealer and they aren't very open to giving advise. I am taking it there in a few days for them to look at it. Anyone else ever hear of this?

#2 · (Edited)
Are you getting the check engine light due to this issue?? When was the last time you commander had I tune up? ie.. Spark plugs and what not

#3 ·
no lights

no there isnt any check engine lights or anything on. when i put it in drive it feels like it is trying to go into gear but its binding on something and it just shuts down. even after shut down there are no lights. new plugs and wires both right when i bought it. i have been readeing on here that a shift position sensor is known to go out on them. pretty much the same symptoms i am having. i have tried different things but finally broke down and have an appt at the dealer to see whats going on. hopeing its not the shift sensor because its 370 bucks. merry christmas to me

#4 ·
well it ended up being a problem inside the trans. there is a selanoid that is known to go bad and of course it goes bad on my jeep. so 600 bucks later it will be fixed. and no it isnt covered on chryslers lifetime waranty because it has a 3 inch lift. what kind of **** is that. it would have been nice to know that while i was in the process of buying it. i guess you cant trust a car salesman. haha

#5 ·
Was it already lifted when you bought it? I bet you can fight that. They would have to prove that the lift caused the damage.

#6 ·
after fighting with the dealership i ended up getn the jeep out of there. they said they dont know what the problem is. all they could tell me was its serious. is it really to much to ask for a certified mechanic to diagnose a problem. i understand it isnt easy, but come on man. where i am at right now is the jeep on the lift with the trans out. a buddy of mine is a former trans guy of about 30 years. highly recomended in this area. he thinks a clutch pack is burnt out of it. we will see.

#7 ·
So did the dealer pull the transmission or did your mechanic friend?

#10 ·
well my buddy ran his own tests on the trans. defonitly needs to come out. i have found a few used ones for 800. he can rebuild mine for 1200. prob going with the used one. the dealership didnt want to work on it anymore. so me and my buddy r gonna pull it out and take a closer look at it and more than likely get the used one. pretty crappy time of year to be doing this stuff. i am assuming the selanoid pack was ok to begin with. my buddy said it seems like it is trying to go into 2 gears at the same time. he is certain it is internal. so hopefully we will get it pulled out and get to the bottom of it soon. as for info on the selanoid pack i found someone else on here had the same problem and the pack fixed it. all i know about it is when u put the shifter in a certain gear the contacts arent meshing inside and kicking the code to put the vehicle in limp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.