Jeep Commander Forum banner

LED Tail lights concept

8K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Teddyyo 
#1 ·
Gonna try something new. Ordered a single LED "Spider" taillight. It's five arms of six LEDs each, with a signficant space in the center. Ordered only one to test out fitment and electrical issues I've heard of. It'll be fun even if it doesn't work out.

If this goes through well, however, I would be interested in the idea of creating custom arrangements of LEDs. I saw a pioneer of this on NSX Prime and it looked amazing. The only issue would be separating the lens from the housing. Does anybody know if this is possible?

I'll update when they come in - 10 to 20 day shipping from China. It was 8 bucks after everything, so no complaints here. Hopefully they'll be in by the time I return from vacation in a few days as I ordered a little more than a week ago.

Tedd

#2 ·
Well if it doesn't work out but you still want LED Lighting, I went through carid.com and ordered replacement LEDs for all my exterior light bulbs and absolutely love them.

Good luck

#4 ·
In regards to removing the lenses- definitely possible, but not easy. The usual process involves baking the whole assembly in your oven to soften the glue/gasket that holds them together, but whatever Chrysler used on their lights is notoriously stubborn. No doubt cheaper aftermarket lights would pop right open after some heating. I have personally taken the OEM lights apart and it was a bear to break the seal without warping the softened lense plastic. Have always thought that if I did it again I would just use a cutoff wheel on the seal-flange part and then adhere it back on with gasket maker of some sort. Might be worth sourcing an extra light on eBay, salvage vard, etc. to do some expiramenting. Hope that helps!

#7 ·
I have a broken OEM tail light that you can have for shipping charges.

#11 · (Edited)
I'll get back to you with the shipping charges once I get it boxed. What is the zip code it will be going to ? Which carrier do you prefer ?

#13 ·
Don't count on getting an answer. You may get a reply but I doubt if they will know/divulge the info.

#17 ·
Teddyyo, I sent you a PM.

#18 ·
So far they are working for me, currently I'm in Argentina. It will be a while till I get home. But will post some pictures of them if you would like.

#20 ·
Tail light shipped. Sending you a PM.

#22 ·
I am sad to report, as I hate disappoint, that physical separation is heavily time consuming, unreliable, and has to be very meticulously. The plastic parts are unfortunately fused together, though this comes as no surprise. The bonded area is a single, 1/4"-ish band around the edge of the light. Taking a dremel to it is not only difficult, but the result is about as sightly as a Porsche Panamera. Significant sanding would probably mitigate that effect, however. A person doing it that is very experienced with dremel (ie uses on a daily basis) could do it well, I suppose, and in such case is probably preferable to other methods. Just a warning though, the lens is very prone to fracturing under stress.

The only reliable method could be heating. Does somebody have any in-depth information about how it was done previously? I'm a bit worried about its effect on the rest of the housing, of course, because any warping would render the taillight unusable.

The most reliable way of replacing the lights with something custom would be to try to insert them through where the current lights are. Cutting the back of the housing could help, though of course it would not be reversible and there would need to be electrical planning with anything custom.

#23 ·
As far as I know, no one here has baked a tail light. However, a few have baked the headlights. Check out post #56 here---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11746&page=5

#24 · (Edited)
I baked my taillights at one point- looks weird, feels weird, and confirms to to your wife that you are weird. General consensus that I found for light baking was ~10 minutes @ ~275*F, and if that didnt work go longer. The idea is just to soften the goo that holds the lens and housing together. As stated before, whatever Chrysler used on their lights in the last 6 years is reportedly more stubborn than others. I was able to separate the lenses, and the heat did help, but the time and temp it took to make any difference in the goo really softened the lense so that it was hard to pry without warping. Manvan37 on here had good luck cutting the housing out from behind to add Trucklite LEDs. "The Trucklites sound awesome, but my biggest concern would still be getting them to fit. Looks like the model you are considering measures 4.3" in diameter at the outermost housing; the alcoves on the OEM lenses barely make 4.25 (and the top one is actually a little smaller. Unless you are planning on cutting a decent chunk out of the old housings or striping the Trucklites down to bare bulbs, I really think you're going to run into fitment issues trying to mount from the front. However, (just thought of this now) the chrome ring with the fake bolts in it measures 4.25" from outside to outside. If you trimmed off the "bowl" portion of the lights, I bet you could mount the Trucklites from behind, framing them just a little and looking fully integrated. Since the OEM housings are not full circles a little bit of each light would hang off inside, but nobody would ever see it and even under close inspection I would bet the mirroring of the multiple LEDs would camouflage the seam."

This was way better when it had pictures:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16771

#25 · (Edited)
Sounds reasonable. I'll make sure the headlights are fused in the same way, then give it a shot. Thanks again to jeep5253, you've been key to the whole process.

Edit: Thanks for the tips Kansas. The headlight thread was 220 for 8 mins, guessing the higher time/temp is for the taillights specifically? Thanks for the additionally help too!

#26 ·
The LED light came in. I made the novice mistake of ordering the incorrect size, however I am aware of all of the correct parts needed to get the correct one this time and am looking around for the good deal on it. Expect another update in a week or so when this one comes in. The taillight baking will be done then too.

#28 ·
Acting funky meaning the rate at which they flash? LEDs need resistors. Most common when you see motorcycles switch to LED signals they flash really fast.

#29 · (Edited)
Yep, it turns out I blew the fuse early on, which knocked out interior center stack lights and right taillight. Replaced it and now am going to actually do this the right way in regards to matching the resistance. Expect something in the next few days!

Also, finally got an email back from Jeep - pretty expected response - not made to be separated, the fixate was unavailable or would not be released.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.