Jeep Commander Forum banner

Any new brush guards out there

35K views 89 replies 33 participants last post by  Iowa Commander 
#1 ·
I am still looking for a brush guard for my Commander that I can mount a couple of 6" driving lights on.
I really wish that I could find something similiar to Land Rover's that they sell for the LR3 or the Discovery.
The only ones I see besides the Mopar one are these oversized tubular things that don't look to good.
Just wondering if anyone has discovered any new products.

#54 ·
I like the idea of the Manik brush guard, but I also like how the Mopar guard integrates with the bumper (and if AEV ever comes out with their hidden winch...:rolleyes: ).

What I have some issue with is how far the Manik guard sticks out in front of the truck. I'm not going rock crawling with the Commander, but the tighter the approach angle, the better.

Your pal,
Meat.

#60 ·
Wish there was a way to have that guard and front tow hooks. Need front tow hooks for Jeep Jamboree events I am attending. The Mopar bar is more for show than functionality. It is bolted to the front facia of the Jeep (not the frame) I would never wrap a strap around it and try pulling something.

#62 · (Edited)
timlives1 said:
You can't see them in the picture but the tow hooks are still there.

So where does the bar bolt onto the frame in relation to the hooks? Did you have to drill new holes to bolt it on? Any chance of taking a few picks from under the front so I can see how it mounts to frame with tow hooks? What was the cost? What dealer did you get it though?

Thanks

#63 ·
Im in australia and i can tell you there are no "bull bars" available for the commander and apparently none in the pipline.
All I can get is a nudge bar and thats it.
I live in the outback of western australia and really need a bull bar.
If I had got any other type of 4wd I have seen bull bars on even those korean 4wd's.
oh well guess ill have to be happy with a nudge bar, unfortuanatly those brush bars look too weak for out here.

#65 ·
The problem with most of the guards/bars out there aside from the Mopar one is that they do away with the tow hooks. Not a good idea at all unless you are going just for appearance-only reasons. Then that is just dumb, because anyone who knows anything about off-roading is going to point and laugh because you look tough but couldn't survive on anything too tough.

Also, keep in mind that if you plan on doing any Jeep Jamborees that you MUST have tow hooks.

#66 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
Also, keep in mind that if you plan on doing any Jeep Jamborees that you MUST have tow hooks.
Does, this include rear hooks? What do you do if the hitch replaces the rear hooks?

#67 · (Edited)
#68 ·
The commander has an OEM rear hook option, but you cannot use those hooks if you install the tow receiver as they mount in the same place.

#69 ·
a49erFootballFan said:
What do you do if the hitch replaces the rear hooks?
Check out the link in my previous post.

#70 ·
I have a shackle already, I guess my question should have been, does a shackle meet the requirements for the jamboree?

#71 ·
I don't see why not as long as it meets load requirements.

#72 ·
a49erFootballFan said:
I have a shackle already, I guess my question should have been, does a shackle meet the requirements for the jamboree?

Yes 49er, A shackle D-ring in your rear hitch is perfect. As you have seen in some of my pics, I have factory tow hooks on front and the Baja shackle in my hitch on the back and that is all they ask for for the Jamborees.

From the Jeep Jamboree FAQ:

DOES MY JEEP 4X4 NEED SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FOR A JAMBOREE?
Yes! The following is MANDATORY for all registered vehicles: > Jeep vehicles must have four-wheel drive with a low-range (4-LO) transfer case > Front and rear tow hooks must be properly mounted to the frame with grade-eight bolts > Drawbars, receiver hitches, or aftermarket bumpers with manufacturers installed clevis or D-ring anchor points are acceptable alternates to tow hooks. If you don’t have tow hooks, you may be turned away at registration without a refund > All open-topped vehicles, including older models (CJs, Scramblers, and Willys), must have roll bars > A full-size spare tire; a space-saver spare (donut) just won’t do Do you recommend additional Equipment? > Skid plates covering the oil pan, gas tank, and transfer case. Mandatory for the Rubicon Trail > Rock rails for Jeep Liberty, Cherokee, Patriot, Grand Cherokee, and Commander vehicles registered for higher-rated trails. Rock rails are iron moldings designed to protect your vehicle’s rocker sills from damage. Strongly advised for Jamborees with rocky terrain. Mandatory for the Rubicon Trail. Please contact the Jeep Jamboree USA office for additional information. > Heavy-duty, 20-foot nylon tow straps (20,000 pound minimum rating) with looped ends. TOW STRAPS WITH METAL HOOKS ARE NOT PERMITTED > Body lifts/suspension lifts up to six inches (combined) are permitted. Running boards and snowplow frames are not permitted > Tires over 37 inches are not permitted.

WHAT SHOULD I BRING IN ADDITION TO MY JEEP 4X4?
Here’s what we recommend you pack: 1) A CB radio. It’s a great way to communicate on the trail and is highly recommended, 2) Snacks, 3) A tent, if camping, 4) Warm clothes. It may not be cold when you arrive, but temperatures can drop overnight, 5) Insect repellent and sunscreen, 6) A camera with lots of film and/or a video camera, 7) Flashlights with fresh batteries, 8) An ice chest filled with your favorite NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages.

#73 ·
I have been looking for a brush guard that includes a tow point. Most of the available guards mount where the tow hooks are and that invalidates any chance of towing your vehicle out. I went to the 4x4 shop oday and he is going to make some calls. I will let you know if he finds one.

Also, I have a hitch on the back. In the posted link, which receiver meets the Jeep Jamboree requirements. I would guess the very first on listed ($65). What about the $30 listed further down the page?

#74 ·
tcc11tcc said:
I have been looking for a brush guard that includes a tow point. Most of the available guards mount where the tow hooks are and that invalidates any chance of towing your vehicle out. I went to the 4x4 shop oday and he is going to make some calls. I will let you know if he finds one.

Also, I have a hitch on the back. In the posted link, which receiver meets the Jeep Jamboree requirements. I would guess the very first on listed ($65). What about the $30 listed further down the page?
As far as I can tell, the first one says "do not exceed the rating of the hitch" which probably means it is strong as hell, and the second one is rated for 8000 pounds, and looks a bit wimpier.
Don't skimp on this item, as the last thing you want is it to break under a heavy load and become a deadly projectile.

#75 ·
Ok these brush guards look nice but it looks like the bumper, aka PLASTIC bumper, is still the first thing to mash up against the "brush". I was wondering if there is something that will protect my plastic bumper cover from the "brush" I need to run over every so often..... I only have so much rubbing compound... and paint!

#76 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.