Jeep Commander Forum banner

2008 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi with P0153

21K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  luceres 
#1 ·
:( I could use some help with my 2008 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi with the P0153 code constantly coming on after less than 40kms of driving.

Since Oct 2011 I have been having the P0153 code coming up first as an occassional code which has now become a regular code which quickly reappears after clearing with my scanner. I never get to a Green status.

Dealers have emptied my pockets with eight visits changing all the O2 sensors and then the Bank 2 sensors a second time. Other work performed includes an after market Cat was installed, fresh plugs installed, throttle body cleaned, injectors cleaned, and exhaust manifold inspected. Finally swapped out the ECM computer and reloaded all the TSBs but that made no difference. I simply can't afford this kind of trouble shooting with shop labour $ guessing what is causing the P0153 code.

Eventually I was told by a smug dealer to spend more money by installing a new Mopar Cat, or trade it in or just ignore the light as the Jeep was running fine.

Truth is it is burning gas heavy at ~19L/100km or ~12mpg mainly on the highway even with me clearing the code regularly with my scanner. Clearing the code let's me get some MDS activiation but not much. Last week I took it in for an Emission Test to see if it was burning clean and the thirsty beast barely passed with the CO readings at .60 just under the .65 limit. Problem is in Ontario code issues will make you fail the emmissions test starting in 2013 which makes this issue more than just a gas hog problem.

I'm open to any ideas you may have as my 3 mechanics all admit that the cause remains unknown.:(

See less See more
#3 ·
I was always told aftermarket cats on our jeeps is a bad idea! Is that something the dealer swapped out??

#4 · (Edited)
i'm not sure what kind of mods you have (if any) but i average 20L per 100km

btw i'm not sure where in ontario you are but i'm in Burlington

#5 ·
I'm just north of Toronto checking out Mechanics in the Vaughan area. I did have the Pickering Dealership look at the problem where they suggested exhaust manifold.

I followed up on this idea with a close local mechanic inspection. We dove right in with new parts ready and pulled out the wheel well cover and got the exhaust manifold heat shield off but stopped as there was no sign of leakage or passing exhaust.

#6 ·
I changed the CAT as two times the P0430 was part of the stored codes and my local practical mechanic said this might help. Luckily I kept the OEM CAT as it looked fine and the muffler shop thought the upstream problem was not likely caused by the OEM CAT.

#7 · (Edited)
I changed the CAT as two times the P0430 was part of the stored codes and my local practical mechanic said this might help. Luckily I kept the OEM CAT as it looked fine and the muffler shop thought the upstream problem was not likely caused by the OEM CAT.
My Engine MODs are limited to a Cold Air Intake K&N which was on the Hemi for 8 months before any codes started lighting up. About 4 months ago I ordered a new air filter to replace my original kit filter as I thought my cleaning my not be as effective as a new replacement. This made no difference but knocked one more possible cause off my long list of ideas as to why the P0153 code is constantly lighting up.

#8 ·
Well it's 2013 now with the P0153 code coming on after 20kms of driving now. I'm beginning to think a rookie mechanic should find the problem now since it is regularly sending the P0153 fault code now. The dealer with $2K of my money has changed the PCM without success and thinks the wiring might be at fault or it could be an exhaust leak. I thought they checked both the wiring and exhaust system before replacing parts (PCM, Cat, 4 O2s) but clearly the profit is in parts replacement on the customers Visa. Again any help or ideas would be appreciated to solve this issue.

#9 ·
I've been having an O2 Sensor code problem P0153 since Oct 2011 or for 16 months now which started when I had less than 110,000 km (emissions warranty).

How do you start a case with Jeep because my Dealer has no idea what to do as I refuse to pay anymore than the $2K spent to date.:dunno:

#13 ·
Just had the orginal CAT put back on to remove the aftermarket CAT which the dealer continued to point to as the problem. Result still getting the P0153 Bank 2/1 O2 Sensor every 20 kms along with an occassional P430 which is the Bank 2 CAT.

Not sure I want to continue with Dealer "Stealer" as they don't seem to know what to blame next but would like to test the Jeep for a day.

#14 ·
Anything back from corporate?

Just a thought does the FCM have anything to do with emissions? I always understood it as the main (Main) computer. The one that brings everything together. But hey at least your xk is starting.... FML :woowoo:

#15 ·
I'm still running with the P0153 code which I clear on a regular basis.

A new emission testing standard has been implemented this year in Ontario where the OBC is scanned for codes and this determines if the Jeep can be relicenced.

This is causing alot of trouble as many cars have occasional codes and now the dealers must solve these problems so people can drive thier products. I don't need a test for two years so I expect Mother Jeep to solve this type on code troubles with some program updates shortly.

Does anyone know where the latest list TSB can be found as the link provided in this forum is a little dated.

Thanks

#16 ·
April 9 now and still getting the P0153 code around 20km of driving.

I'm getting use to the dashboard light being on and the extra visits to gas station due to the poor mileage being worst than 19 L per 100 Kms.

I might try Mother Jeep later this year but clearly two dealers would just like to guess with parts replacements at 800 to 1000 a visit which always take a day.

#17 ·
Any one else having a regular P0153 O2 Sensor code with 2008 Hemi?

I don't get the code when I haul my trailer using the Tow/Haul switch which makes me wonder about this MDS. I also don't get the code after clearing it when I drop into low and do a day of off-roading. I'm thinking about spending some money on the next best try. Any suggestions as I'd like the gas mileage to improve back to 15.9 L per 100km so I don't pause so often at the petro stations paying all those taxes.

#18 ·
Sept 2013 @ 170,000 km still trying little things to see if that will do it such as brands of Gas, Spark Plugs Plat, Spark Plugs Copper, Tow/Haul every trip, After Market Cat removed but still getting the P0153 code every 20-30 km regularly.

After two years of driving and 70,000km since the first time this code appeared it's now Just A Jeep Thing or play the dumb dealer game "Just Empty Every Pocket"

I'm not spending anymore money with the dealers looking for dollars as they have been well paid a number of times to fix the same problem and have just ended up R&R good parts.

Thinking I'll run the dashboard light for another 2 years before the P0153 code will cause Licensing troubles with the new Ontario Drive Clean computer check. After that I'll be looking to buy a fully functioning Tesla which would be a complete change and leave the confused Jeep deep in the bush.

Mike Harris
Go 4x4 It
Ontario, Canada

#19 ·
I was getting a PO131 code (O2 sensor low voltage)for quite some time that was bringing gas mileage down to 12mpg and would reoccur within 10-20 miles after clearing. I tried replacing both up front O2 sensors with no success. The left one I replaced twice as that was supposedly the one related to PO131. The right one I had a hard time getting to the plug and ended up splicing it.

After several months with no luck I took it to the dealer and they claim to have replaced the right sensor, cleared the ECM, and the problem never reoccurred. It no longer throws codes and gets 16 mpg depending on how I drive.

I think the dealer did something else ... in addition to swapping out the right sensor but didn't admit to it, but regardless have not had the issue since.

Make sure you are using OEM sensors as many with the 5.7 have reported issues with aftermarket, especially Bosch - which I found surprising as they tend to make quality parts.

#20 ·
Thanks for the O2 Sensor alert about using only OEM from Mopar.

I did have try some after market O2 sensors before handing the Jeep to the dealer and spending $800 to replace all 4 which didn't make any difference.

I followed up with the dealer and then replaced the PCM which also didn't stop the P0153 code from coming up. That was the last time I visited that dealer as they just wanted to keep the billing cycle going.

#21 ·
:read:

Well welcome to 2014 as my 5.7 Hemi keeps putting out the power and regularly lights up the dash with my regular P0153 code.

I'm getting use to clearing the code but found that during trips to the states my gas mileage returned and I don't get the code lighting up each trip. This got me wondering what might in our Canadian gas so now I only buy Shell V-Power 91 which has additional additives and no ethanol. This has helped significantly as I can now drive 2 to 3 tanks without a P0153 popping up on my reader and have had only one dash light in all of January 2014. This is about 2,000 km of driving with far fewer codes vs every 40km. It's not perfect but much better as my improved gas mileage is helping me pay the higher premium gas bill of Shell 91 V-Power.

I wondering about some engine cleaning product that might help shake out the cobwebs to take it to a full green on my reader as i'm almost there.

I tried Sea Foam but that alarmed whole street last summer as I smoke bombed the hood with a full plume of smoke for ten minutes.

Once again I'm looking for great ideas and any help you might have to offer me in order to beat this code :domotwak:

#22 ·
Try Replacing the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation), i have the very same problem with my 2008 truck, the mechanic decided to made a test, he canceled the egr in order to see what would happen, and of couse we were expecting the check engine light to apear, but, this time the only code that actually apear was the P0401, the one of the egr, 133 and 153 codes does not apear not any more. Aparently, the egr have some leak and it causes the bank 2 to detect a few more oxigen and it demands more fuel, it seams to be a mix issue, and it "detonate" the failure or the missread of the p0133 and p0153 sensors.

So far, it seems to be the solution.

I hope this help.
(Sorry for my bad english)

Regards!.

#23 ·
CB

Thanks for the good advice as I might try the EGR to see what happens.

My status update is P0153 continues to glow brightly at 240K Km or ~150K Miles but she runs strong and tows anything so I'm leaving the Hemi alone which will soon be semi retired.

#24 ·
Welcome to the start of the summer 2016. I was finally able to Engine Tune my code problem out of my Hemi. Now she runs strong without any dash idiot lights, passes the emmissions plugin test and uses the MDS feature when I don't demand all the 400 horses. Love this Jeep and now I plan to keep her forever as my fun tow vehicle at the cottage.

#28 · (Edited)
Welcome to the start of the summer 2016. I was finally able to Engine Tune my code problem out of my Hemi. Now she runs strong without any dash idiot lights, passes the emmissions plugin test and uses the MDS feature when I don't demand all the 400 horses. Love this Jeep and now I plan to keep her forever as my fun tow vehicle at the cottage.
It would probably be beneficial to our other members if you could be specific about what you actually did that proved to be the solution to your Hemi's problem.

Saying that you "Engine tuned your code problem out" is a pretty vague explanation of what action you took, that actually fixed the issue.

Please give us a more detailed explanation when you have the time.....thanks.

Glad you have her running right again.

#33 ·
I'd read the manual but greatly appreciate the first hand experience. Glad to hear you've still got yours - hopefully I'm able to keep mine going for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeep5253
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.