Jeep Commander Forum banner

Wheel Spacers Q & A (If you have a question, post it here)

152K views 382 replies 131 participants last post by  outdrsmn 
#1 ·
Anyone using the 1.25” wheel adapter with the stock rims and 265/70R17’s know how much clearance they have to the steering knuckle? If you do, could you measure it?
I would be grateful… I’ll come over and mow your yard!

I’m considering a Centerline Wheel, the “Stingray III” 17x8” with a 5” backspacing. According to my calculations (if they’re correct) this rim will sit in ¼” further than the above set-up. Do you think this will fit?

I’m not sure if this will provide enough clearance for the above tire and will be a PITA if I have to order it and mount a tire to find out.

Thanks

-mike

centerlinewheels.com/imag...5101332_sr.jpg

#336 ·
Will I need spacers with 245/65 using 4.75 backspace or 4.67 backspace with 6mm offset? The reason I have 2 backspaces there is because sites are conflicting with each other, so I just want to be safe.

#339 ·
Grinding turns

Hey guys,

I put on a 2.25in lift, and spidertrax 1.5in wheel spacers. I did have to cut out some of the wheel well plastic to stop the rubbing.. I am also running 265/70/17's nitto trail grapplers on my 2006 Commander. When I am traveling on and off the interstate sometimes on the ramps I will get a grinding noise that almost sounds like the anti-lock brakes or something. I also get this rubbing/grinding noise when i make u-turns in town as well but not going fast at all. No lights or notification warnings come up on the dash when this happens. I have learned to take on and off ramps much slower than necessary, but this noise has almost made me go back to the stock wheel size without spacers and lift kit. Does anybody have any idea what this grinding noise could be and could it be ruining my ball joints?

#340 ·
Hey guys,

I put on a 2.25in lift, and spidertrax 1.5in wheel spacers. I did have to cut out some of the wheel well plastic to stop the rubbing.. I am also running 265/70/17's nitto trail grapplers on my 2006 Commander. When I am traveling on and off the interstate sometimes on the ramps I will get a grinding noise that almost sounds like the anti-lock brakes or something. I also get this rubbing/grinding noise when i make u-turns in town as well but not going fast at all. No lights or notification warnings come up on the dash when this happens. I have learned to take on and off ramps much slower than necessary, but this noise has almost made me go back to the stock wheel size without spacers and lift kit. Does anybody have any idea what this grinding noise could be and could it be ruining my ball joints?
That is the ESP/Traction Control kicking in.

#341 ·
So if I turn that ESP off I shouldn't have that grinding noise anymore?? Although, will that hurt the jeep or anything with it off, other than possibly skidding?? Or would it just be smarter to keep it on to know how much pressure and torque I am putting on the Jeep when I am driving?? Thanks for the help!!!

#342 ·
So if I turn that ESP off I shouldn't have that grinding noise anymore?? Although, will that hurt the jeep or anything with it off, other than possibly skidding?? Or would it just be smarter to keep it on to know how much pressure and torque I am putting on the Jeep when I am driving?? Thanks for the help!!!
It shouldn't be doing it unless you are making those turns like Mario Andretti. You may have a faulty sensor or damaged it when you were working on the wheel well. The sensors are located in the wheel wells.

#343 ·
Any idea how much those cost and how I would find out if it actually is damaged or not?? If I could get it looked at would anyone have any idea how much it might cost to get it looked at?? Or could I possibly take a look to see if it was damaged, and if so, what would I be looking for??

Would the lift kit and wheel spacers, as listed above, have anything to do with the traction control issue??

And just to add, :rocker: I no longer drive like a race car driver ever since I got this vehicle.. lol.. I have grown up to appreciate what I have nor could afford to drive like a teenager anymore. Ill have to eventually get a second car for my need for speed issues.. :burnout:

#345 ·
Would the lift kit and wheel spacers, as listed above, have anything to do with the traction control issue??
No. Plenty of forum members have lifted their Commanders without having this issue. Did you get an alignment after the lift. If not, you definitely need to get one.

#347 ·
hey guys first post!

i just bought an 07 limited with the 4.7l...

i got a great deal but unfortunately it didnt come with stock tires or rims. the previous owner put 20in rims with 275/45/20 tires. the plan is to put a 2in. spacer lift and custom 17's with 255's ( not sure which tire )..this jeep will be used as a daily driver and weekend toy. the tire choice will be somewhat mild, and no larger then 255. will i need spacers or what would be the correct spacing for my rim choice, so no spacers are needed?

i appreciate all help and replies

#348 ·
I just got my 1.5 wheel spacers in the mail today. I was talking to the mechanic that I have do all the work on my Commander and he did not recommend putting them on. He said that my ball joints would go bad after 30,000 miles or so. Has anyone had problems after having them on for a long period of time?

#349 · (Edited)
They'll go bad, no doubt about it. 30k miles sounds a little low to me, but I've been wrong before.

Im sure it depends on how you drive, where you drive, etc as to how long they'll last.

Of course, to help confuse things here is an article saying otherwise.

"There is a lot of buzz about the spacers being bad for wheel bearings or ball joints, but it just isn't so. The wheel spacer acts just like a rim with less backspacing would. Of course, once you start talking about 3- or 4-inch spacers (for 6 or 8 inches of track width increase) that's another story."

Read more: http://www.jpmagazine.com/shop4part...jeep_wheel_spacers/viewall.html#ixzz2Mippxq1M

#350 ·
I ran wheel spacers for almost 4 years and I got over 100,000 miles out of my ball joints and wheel bearings before they had to be replaced.

#352 ·
Let me start off by sayin I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, I've done the pads already once on mine, and am looking at changing out the pads and new rotors this time in a month or so. I am assuming I am going to have to heat up to loosen the lock tight on the lugs to remove the spacers to get the rotors off right?

#354 ·
I figured I would bump this thread because I was also curios about the 1.75" spacers as Short77 mentioned some time ago.

Spidertrax makes a 1.75" spacer ...part # WHS021, but I don't seem to recall reading about anyone running them. I personally think 1.5" will be my choice but was curious at the that additional 1/4" and problems it may or may not cause, especially for the guys like me, who are still running stock size rims and tires without a lift.

Funny thing is some off brand manufacturers are even making them in 2", but I don't think that's worth too much discussion.

#355 ·
Hi I am completely new to this forum and this is the only place I could find to post a comment / question. I'm putting a leveling kit on my cm Ander 2.5" in front and 3" in the back. I want to know the biggest tires I can get on it.. I know nothing about wheels and tires so any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

#357 ·
Are JK spacers the same size as the XK.? I found some hub/wheel centric 1.5" for $99 for all 4, but it says for 2007 jk

#359 ·
that's what I figured. Thx

#360 ·
my $.02

read the tire sticky about lifts and spacers and what you can fit on a stock commander and i believe it says 245/75/17 would not rub. LIES. harsh rubbing(and they are not BFGs). thought maybe a wheel spacer would help. WRONG. way worse. obviously it would be worse with a spacer because in full lock now my wheels are 1.5inches closer to the well. just had to chime in and let everyone know. research does not always help. trial and error is the only way to find out.

#361 ·
read the tire sticky about lifts and spacers and what you can fit on a stock commander and i believe it says 245/75/17 would not rub. LIES. harsh rubbing(and they are not BFGs). thought maybe a wheel spacer would help. WRONG. way worse. obviously it would be worse with a spacer because in full lock now my wheels are 1.5inches closer to the well. just had to chime in and let everyone know. research does not always help. trial and error is the only way to find out.
You read it wrong.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

Stock Jeep Commanders or Commanders using the 1/4" leveling spacer can fit the following tire sizes WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing:

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17 BFGoodrich All Terrians (might have minor rubbing)
255/65R17

#362 ·
Currently running 1" wheel spacers with 255 75 mts on stock wheels but it's just not quit sitting how I want. Should've got 265s lol... Any ways I'm thinking of going up to 2 inch wheel spacers.. thoughts on that?? I do go off road on trails from time to time, and get muddy a bit more often than that.

#363 ·
Replace Wheel Spacer For New Wheels With Correct Offset / Backspacing

Hi all,

I have a 07 Commander Sport with 1,25 spidertrax wheel spacers (the ones made for the Grand Cherokee) with 2.25 lift and 265/70-17 hankook dynapro atm on Steel Wheels hollander 9048.

I want to get rid of the wheel spacer and get new wheels that will give me the exact set up I have now in terms of clearance for the "Bolt" and not stick out the fenders. Right now the tires are flushed with the side.

Now, I am not sure what the offset and backspacing of the current wheel is as I cannot find it anywhere but I dont think is the same as regular commander because the first time I tried to install the wheels without spacers they didnt clear the caliper, thats the reason I had to install the spacers. Offset 47.3mm? or Offset 50.8mm??

I'm having a hard time to calculate the exact offset and backsapcing that I need to look for the new wheels.

I wanted to have the same style "steel" wheel and I have found a few that I like and maybe could work. Here they are:

Black Rock Type 8P 17x8” Back Spacing 5.5” / Offset: +25mm

Black Rock Yuma Series 908B 17x8” Back Spacing 4.5” / Offset 0

JK Salta Wheel 17" x 8.5” Backspacing: 5.2” / Offset: +10mm

Does anyone know which is the closest to the set up I have right now..?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

#364 ·
Hi,
Real quick, I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and my wife and daughter is back home. We've always talked about our Commander getting lifted and purchasing new tires and wheels for it. Now that we have the funds and elbow room to put money into the ride, we are having a shop install 2" Daystar kit, Method Racing Mesh wheels and A/T tires on.

Orginally, I wanted 265/70 on stock wheels with 1.5" wheel spacers, fully understanding minor mods to fender and pinch welds is needed due to rubbing. The guy over the phone said since the wheels we will be purchasing is a zero offset, we will not need wheel spacers suggests that purchase 255/70.

So question is, will it still rub as much if we went with 255's with zero offset wheels versus going with 265's?

Thank you for your time.

#366 ·
Those tires will be fine with a 2 inch lift, you shouldn't need to do any other modifications.

Those are the same size tires I'm running.

I do have a little uncertainty about the stock rims though, because I'm not sure what the back-spacing is on the stock rims.

My rims have 5.5 inch back-spacing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.