Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which engine did you get with your Commander, and are you happy with it?

• Bought the V6 and am happy with it.

Votes: 117 13.5%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 25 2.9%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 252 29.0%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 62 7.1%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 337 38.8%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 6 0.7%
  • Bought the CRD

Votes: 25 2.9%

Which engine did you get with your Commander?

71K views 169 replies 143 participants last post by  wellingtoncole70 
#1 ·
...And do you regret the choice now? What would you choose if you could do it all over again?

I'm very happy with my Hemi. :D

#147 ·
Just bought the 06 XK with the 4.7 three days ago.
I test drove one with the Hemi, and there's a pretty
big difference, especially when you first give it the gas.
You have some wiggle room with the 4.7, as where with
the Hemi you barely push the pedal down and she wants
to take off. (kind of like a light switch, it's either on or off)

Guess I'm used to the XJ with 31's and stock gears. Gotta
give it some gas to get moving!

All in all, I'm happy I got a V8 whether it be the 4.7, or the
Hemi. Of course the Hemi would have been nicer.

If I want to go fast, I've got the V65 Magna..... :icon_biggrin:

#150 ·
After having owned it for a few months, the 4.7
is a pretty decent engine. Makes enough power
to get out of its own way. It loves to drink gas
around town (around 12mpg), I don't care I like
having the V8. On the highway, it gets around
16 mpg which is better than the XJ.

#151 ·
The Hemi is amazing. If you stay out of it it does 20 on the highway. 15 putting around. We were so used to that under powered Rubicon you didn't dare pass half the time. Can't imagine this heavier commander with a V6. Planning on putting on some 285-70-17 as soon as the lift comes in. Will need the extra power to roll them.

#154 ·
Bought one with the HEMI and lift, just had to fork out for wheels and tires!

#158 ·
Hemi, glad I did.

I have driven a 3.7 and there was nothing wrong with it, but it was gutless compared to the big dog. Also, a buddy of mine is a mechanic at a Jeep dealership and said that the 3.7's and 5.7's have half the problems of the 4.7.

To me, its the best of the three, reliability, power, and not really much of a hit on gas mileage.

#160 · (Edited)
The 2008 4.7L V-8 is the year the intake was re-designed - and they also added an extra spark plug per cylinder.

The result was a 70HP jump from the factory - from 235HP to 305HP.

I upgraded mine a bit by adding the AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System with Pro 5R Filter, the AFE MACH Force-Xp 3" Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System and the Superchips (3874) F5 Flashpaq Tuner with the 93 Octane Performance Tune, which I keep loaded during normal driving.

As a result, I believe I'm pushing around 330HP and I'm completely satisfied with how Big Blue performs.

#162 ·
Holy crap, #4.7goals right there!

Lol I am legit screenshotting that post lol. How much did the exhaust run ya, if you don't mind telling? Having a hard time finding one for mine, other than a pretty boring magnaflow.

#161 ·
Got me a 4.7, and it certainly is enough for me! I'm looking forward to the f5 tuner on the Christmas list to give her a little more pull and some more agressive shifts, but she's definitely haulin the mail just fine. Especially with that nifty manumatic system, pretty fun to mess around with on the highway. Yee haw!

#167 ·
Got the hemi, wanted the hemi, didn’t want all the bells and dingers, didn’t want the hydraulic fan. Thirsty beast but the power is there and hemi is proven. That being said 4.7 is good motor and probably dosnt sip oil like the hemi often does. 2cyl always run the hardest though lol

#168 ·
We bought the V6 (a 2008) 12 years ago with 29K miles. Recently (at 189,000 miles) we had the front struts replaced, new brakes and tires, for trouble in 12 years, we had a half shaft go bad, alternator, water pump and had a valve spring break. Aside from that, we have had 160K miles of trouble free fun driving. The V6 is no serious power-plant, but contrary to what I hear quite a bit, it does very well. I do not go off-road, but living up North, I drive in heavy snow a lot. This little V6 has been great. The only complaint I have, is the extremely poor engineering with respect to maintenance. Access to even the valve covers is tough, exhaust manifolds are buried, and god help you if you need to change the EGR valve. That said, my bet is a solid well trained mechanic simply knows the ins and outs, and has the appropriate tools. We will never sell this Jeep..... just keep doing what it takes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.