Jeep Commander Forum banner

Replacing 3rd row seat with a Storage Box

114K views 156 replies 53 participants last post by  kehubbard 
#1 · (Edited)
I am starting a new thread to give all of the details for building a locking aluminum storage box to replace the third row seat.

I got a PM from 4.7 and hopefully I think he may build these for us.

Removing the third row seat is fairly simple and is covered in another thread on this forum. It basically unbolts from the floor. I am not claiming credit for this modification, someone did it last year. What I did do was to have the fellows at our plant do a professional job if executing the design to fit my needs. The first picture is of the area that is available after you remove the third row seat.

this picture shows the bolt hole that will be used to secure the box to the floor to prevent removing it.

See less See more
#2 ·
The next picture shows the storage box open with lots of trail supplies, parts, and tools.

This picture shows the storage box closed and covered with carpet held down by velcro.

#3 · (Edited)
All of these items were actually stored in the box. It has approximately 12,000 cubic inches of space within the box.

This picture shows the box still in the Commander but empty.

This picture shows the location of the bolt that holds down the box and screws into the bolt hole in the floor.

#4 ·
The storage box can be lifted out by one person when empty and it has enough room to tilt up and then slide out the back of the Commander.

Reactions: vestin112
#6 · (Edited)
Out of the Commander and views of different angles.

#7 ·
The second picture shows the carpet pulled back from the top of the lid to show the hinge.

#8 ·
This group shows the inflatable bed that I keep in the storage box. It
is the blue material in the picture of all the contents of the box. It has its own inflator pump and inflates in about 30 seconds.

#9 ·
Inflated

#10 ·
By the way, The air compressor kit will fit in the storage box. I am not going to keep it there because I have all the other stuff and because I want it handy to use.

#13 · (Edited)
Sounds good to me. I wish you luck and hope the fellows that get them enjoy the extra storage space. Another nice thing about them is that the modification is 100% reverseable. You can put your third row seat back in anytime. That is unless you give your third row seat away like I did. A friend of mine has a TJ and he wanted a really cool backseat.

#14 ·
HueyPilotVN ,,,, that is EXCELLENT job you've done. Well Done. :)

I also liked the bed :), what its dimensions?

#15 ·
Thank you Sir,

I will get the details on the bed tomorrow including a manufacturer or web site. It is just the right size to fit in the space and inflates in about 30 seconds using its own pump and 4 "D" cell batteries. I do not plan on ever using it, but would much rather have it if I get stranded. I also have sheets, pillows, and blankets in the roof pod, which I also plan on never using. Needless to say I also do not plan on eating the MRE's in the survival bag either.

#16 ·
I know I would go that route if I can afford the box. Thanks for sharing such great photos.

#17 ·
After this thread has had a full discussion I might find your other one and merge the two if that is okay with you.

#18 ·
#19 ·
HueyPilotVN

Does the box lay flush with the seats while they are down? It looks like they do, but I wanted to check. Thanks

#20 ·
It is pretty close to flush, the seats may be slightly higher but not enough to feel with the bed inflated. The best way to make the bed comfortable is to slightly underinflate it, but not enough to feel the surface under you.

#22 ·
I had that one built for me by the guys at our plant. I just wanted to share the storage box in case anyone else wanted one.

#23 ·
I have a small suggestion. After having a flat tire today in the backcountry and bending the tire iron trying to break the lug nuts free (they might have been a little too tight though) I have decided that I want to do this same type of configuration by adding a box in place of the third row seats. My suggestion however, is remove the jack storage area and incorporate a new jack storage area in the box. There really is quite a bit of waisted space in there so you would pick up even more storage area, and just as importantly, you can put some real tools in there, ones that won't bend or break. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

#25 ·
Saw the storage box in HueyPilots XK in action this weekend, I think I want one too. But I like the light weight aluminum vs steel.