Jeep Commander Forum banner

'07 Commander Won't Start

50K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  mangoxk 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a re-post....

About a month ago I tried to start my jeep to run to the store...when I turned the key, nothing. All the electronics came on, but it wouldn't start. I tried jumping it, wouldn't take a jump. Volt Meter read 12.5 on the battery. Left it set over night and started up the next day. I tried to get it to recreate the problem and it wouldn't. Dealership told me to let them know when it did it again.

A couple of weeks later, I was working late, went to go home, and it wouldn't start AGAIN, same thing, turn the key, nothing, wouldn't take a jump, etc. I had it towed to the dealership (they were closed). The next day, it started up for them. They looked at it and said that it MIGHT be the "ignition switch" so they replaced it.

Two weeks later, did the same thing, I left it set on my own and it started up the next day. I called the dealership to let them know that the problem still existed. Took it to Advance and had them check the battery 738 CCA...not the battery.

This morning, literally 5 days later it failed to start AGAIN. So I had it towed to the dealership. Maybe, just maybe it won't start for them. I called to check up on it, it supposedly started right up for them. They are looking into it.

Any ideas? Or has anyone had similar issues?

See less See more
#2 ·
How old is your battery ? Even though it checks out OK it can still be bad/going bad. Other members here have had a bad battery when it checked out ok.

#5 ·
Dealership called...they now think that it's the starter...$500 to fix it (includes their "diagnostic work" that they've already done).

When I asked if they had it torn apart or if it was back together, because I might just drive it home, they told me it now won't start for them.

How hard is it to replace the starter?

#7 ·
Same problem

I can't offer a solution because I have the exact same problem. My dealer could not replicate the problem (full power but would only get one click and then nothing) so they blamed it on my remote car started which has been in the car for 5 years with no problem. My problem started one day after the dealer did a software upgrade for $95 last week.

I took the car to have the starter disconnected and it died in their bay. They can't get it going. Of course I am stuck in another city and have to have it towed to another dealership. We have tried all the computer reset tricks (disconnect the battery for 30+ minutes, lock and unlock the doors 10 times, etc.) but it still will not turn over. I am even using my spare key which I was not using the last time it would not start.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

#8 ·
update to my situation

So...When I told the dealership that I could put the starter in my jeep magically wouldn't start now...so I had it towed home where i pulled the starter off...checked out fine (as I thought). However, I decided to change my battery. This appeared to fix the issue, up until the middle of Dec when I was at the zoo to see the lights...hit the auto start (it was cold) and my jeep wouldn't start. I left it there over night...went back the next day...started up.

A couple days later went to go out...wouldn't start again. So I borrowed a vehicle to use over the holidays as I was out of town. I get back it starts up works from Mon up until 20 mins ago. Now my Jeep won't start AGAIN!!!!!:headbang:

Now, I've tried putting it in and out of park, applying e-brake, disconnecting the negative on the battery and leaving it set for 15 mins...I have no idea what this could be, but this awesome vehicle has now become a thorn in my side and is 100% not reliable. I can't even drive to work, get gas, etc for fear that is the time that it won't start?

I'm going to go back in 3 hours to see if it will start and then again in the morning on my way to work...Any suggestions would helpful...I'm not sure if I have a short or what, my uncle who is a CJ guy thinks its the remote starter.

#9 ·
When you had the starter out did you check the push on terminal and connector for corrosion? I had the same thing happen to my 06 several years back, there is a lengthy thread on here, had the wiring harrness changed and no problems since.

#13 ·
This is the classic and very common "yellow starter wire" corrosion problem. The connector is no insulated and eventually corrodes. This causes temperamental starting issues. Usually wiggling the wire will allow you to start, and work for a few starts.

Cutting off the connection and replacing it with heatshrink and adding dielectric grease fixes the problem.

#14 · (Edited)
Just thought I would add in my experience. '06 5.7 model 99k miles without remote start. Started having start problems three weeks ago. All lights would work as normal. Instrumentation lights worked as normal. Each try to start only resulted in a single click.Tried to move gear shift to see if it may be a neutral safety switch failure. Eventually the vehicle would start but there was no common sequence of events that I could see. Finally the car died in my driveway and would not start for 3 days no matter what I did. Battery checked out fine. Terminals where in good shape. As a last resort I got under the car and tapped on the starter with a wrench as someone else tried to start the car. Bingo! It started . The starter was failing and I had just got one last start out of it. Changed it out today. Very tight spot but she's running again.

#15 ·
07 Commander not starting or turning over

Identical problem with my 07 commander. Exactly the same thing and we did the same thing you have done. Dealership unable to duplicate the problem and it did not start at first when towed to the dealer however the next morning it started right up and they have had it a week and it starts every time. Switch was replaced just before the problem started. We will see if it keeps starting when we get the vehicle back. Dealer has just did an upgrade on the computer along with the switch which were recall items to be preformed. The starter and battery are both new and all lights and such are bright when turned on but engine will not turn over except after setting it seems. I did have the transmission set itself in 4th gear after driving it for about 20 miles when it would start off in 4th and would not shift out of 4th just before this starting problem. The transmission started shifting properly after setting over night at home and has worked fine ever since. Something has to be in the electronics to be causing these problems and it seems the dealers do not have the knowledge to correct.

#16 · (Edited)
This issue just happened to me yesterday. I drove around all day, came home after work and once the family and I were ready to leave again, no starty. All of the same symptoms; electronics work, lights are bright, the click, jimmied the trans, charged the battery to full, jump didn't work. But, alas, it did not start after sitting all night.

I recently had it at the dealership for recalls as well. One was the ignition upgrade. They gave me two new FOBs, which was funny because when they tried to give me the new keys I said "Those are not mine.". I have been having issues getting the remote start to work since the "update/upgrade". I noticed my starting distance went from roughly 150-200ft to about 10ft.

Guess I will go take a look at the starter wires.

#17 ·
Same problem here. I was stuck up in the mountains, way back in the woods and it wouldn't start. The next day, it started up but its starting linds sluggish I think.
I had Autozone test the battery and alternator, which both passed the load tests. I guess I'll slip underneath today and see if the wires going to the starter are corroded. I'm thinking that that's likely the culprit at this point.

#18 ·
Possible we have multiple unrelated issues here but I want to share my experience.

Twice my 07 commander wouldn't start, wouldn't turn over but lights on the dash, the 2nd time was in a parking lot and ended up having to leave it there. I was to the point where I was just about to call a tow truck.. I wiggled the wires going to the starter with a long screwdriver and it fired up. I took it to a buddy with a lift and had him clean the wire contacts on the starter and haven't had the issue since. Some of the contacts look to be covered and some look to be exposed to the elements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.