Jeep Commander Forum banner

Rain Sensing Wipers

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BBCBIRD 
#1 ·
These work part of the time. What happens is the wiper goes all the way down then bounces back up about 2 inches from the down or home position and stop there. Once they bounce up like that the wipers never wipe again no matter how much rain is on the windshield or how much time goes by.

When the wipers do not bounce up and stop 2 inches from the bottom position, they always wipe again and work perfect. As soon as they bounce up and stop, they fail to work.

So, I let them bounce up and get stuck. I wait a while...no wipe so I push the wipers down to the home position and whamo they work again sensing the rain and wiping accordingly until they bounce up and stop again.

My question to the dealer was...does the motor communicate the wiper position to the computer by a limit switch or by some other means like a sensor in the motor housing. He said yes it does but he did not know if it was adjustable or if the contacts are accessable to be cleaned. Does anybody have any experience working with the wiper motor to know if the limit switch can be adjusted or cleaned?

The auto high beams always work flawlessly. I see posts where these two items are discussed together.

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps as I see others have issues with their auto wipers also.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have the same issue as you but my RSW's sometimes will not come on when it starts raining. I have to click the wiper switch one way or another to get them to start(sometimes)

And why didn't they hook the rear wiper into the rain sensing system :thinkerg:

A small annoyance compared to your issue.

My Automatic high beams work flawlessly except for sometimes the reflection from street signs will cause them to go back and forth from high to low. I have the self leveling HID's

My XK is an 09 Hemi Limited

#3 ·
And why didn't they hook the rear wiper into the rain sensing system

If they would have made it a seperate option for those who want it, I would agree, but I do not want my rear wiper to come on every time it starts to rain.

#4 ·
Just a kick and "me too." My wipers are doing the exact same thing and I was told that I needed a new wiper motor. I also came to that conclusion reading other posts on this board I plan on doing that as a DIY project in the next 2 or three weeks, but I will be watching this thread to see if there are other options. Wiper motors seem to be running about $75, but I will also need a small puller to remove the wiper arm.

#5 ·
I know this is an old thread but my wipers are doing the same thing however I think this might be a good feature. I have heard of other makes that keep their wipers up a little so that the blades can be warmed when the defroster is on. My wiper simply return to the normal parked position when I turn the key off. It was 7 degrees outside today and I was using the mist feature when they would stop 2" from the normal off position. I could be wrong but it seemed too intentional that they would stop short and then return to normal when I turned the key off.

#6 ·
Could be the motor (which sends the park signal), the relay, or bad connection at the FCM. Try swapping the relay first (free and easy). It that doesnt work, remove the battery, disconnect the FCM and clean/dry the terminals with electric contact cleaner. If that doesnt work, replace the wiper motor. If that doesn't work, could be internal to the FCM..... dealer time

#7 ·
My rain sensing wipers are also kinda quirky, I have seen them come on like they are supposed to when its drizzling or water splashes up... but 90% of the time, I have to activate them manually.
I was wondering about it today, as I drive through water puddles that were splashing up onto the windshield. With the switch set to off, they should be activating on their own.

#9 ·
Rain sense wipers don't work when the switch is "off".

With rain sense activated, the "sensitivity" is controlled via the wiper speed setting. So if you have the wiper speed on the lowest setting, it'll take more water before they're activated. If they're on the fastest wiper setting, it's the most sensitive. I keep mine in the middle and it works pretty good.

#10 ·
Ahhh..that makes more sense now. I noticed that something was kinda odd when I had the wipers on a low setting. They were doing nothing till I would bump the setting up just a tad. My wife's Suburban has sensor wipers but they just come on even when the switch is in the off position. I thought these would operate the same way. I learned something new again. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.