Jeep Commander Forum banner

Interior power outlets

18K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  johnc 
#1 ·
Hi, Anyone know what the maximum rated current is for the switched and unswitched power outlets in the dash? Cannot find the relevant fuses myself.
Thanks.

#2 ·
You looked at the PDC under the hood, or the panel under the dash? The owners manual should tell you, where the fuses are, if NOT the current limit for the outlets.

I suspect, its 10amps max current, that is what most 12VDC power sockets are, and I've pulled my dash for a project and judging from the wire gauge going to those outlets, 10 amps looks about right. You'd want to confirm that, I'm guessing.

#3 ·
The one that is hot all the time is considered a cigar lighter! It is rated for 20A. The other 2 are considered power outlets - both rated at 20A. Is this what you wanted? :icon_confused:

#4 ·
My power outlet in the rear of the Jeep hasn't worked since I've owned it. I spent one Saturday morning trying to figure out if the fuse had blown, but couldn't figure out which fuse it was. I checked the fuses that I think may pertain to that outlet and they were perfectly fine. Unless I was looking at the wrong fuse, I'm left scratching my head why that dang outlet won't work.

#5 ·
It is located in the fuse panel under the left side of the dash, left of the steering wheel. It is cavity #4, a 20A yellow fuse. Hope this helps you. :eek:rangehat:

#6 ·
Thanks for the location dhh3. I just checked that fuse and it's not blown. I'm sure I can live without it.

#8 ·
I never thought to check the ground at the socket. I'm going to check it out. Is it pretty simple to remove the socket?

#11 ·
Is it pretty easy to remove the cup holder and storage panel? Any little tricks I should know? Thanks...

#12 ·
Is it pretty easy to remove the cup holder and storage panel? Any little tricks I should know? Thanks...
It's extremely easy to remove. Just squeeze the rim together in the middle and pull up.

#15 ·
Piece of cake to fix. I removed the cup holder and sure enough, it was unplugged. All I had to do was plug it in and now it works.

Thanks for all the advice.

#16 ·
well just an fyi! i have a early 2006 limited and the rear left cup holder and tray(presume right side is the same) is not removable!!! it is plastic welded under the panel.dont do as i did! remove the a/c bezel and check inside you will see if its pinned or welded.
i broke 2 legs on the cup holder before removing the a/c vents.not a big deal but hey!now i have something else to fix!!
btw where is that amp! i cant see it inside the panel.is it small tucked behind the ac duct?or near the tailgate?it says in the option list that i have it!

#17 · (Edited)
all ac outlets will not work

on my 06 commander the back power outlet was the only one working, cigarrete and front power outlet wouldnt, now all 3 do not work, the manual for the port # 4 shows as the power outlet fuse, but i seem to have a 15 in place, when i put a 20 it does nothing and the warning ding and pedal light go off, and back on when i put it back, ive checkd and fuses are good under hood and the interior ones also, any suggestions its driving me crazy

#18 ·
A C Outlets

Your AC outlets don't work?
Your airconditioning broke or your 110 down ?

on my 06 commander the back power outlet was the only one working, cigarrete and front power outlet wouldnt, now all 3 do not work, the manual for the port # 4 shows as the power outlet fuse, but i seem to have a 15 in place, when i put a 20 it does nothing and the warning ding and pedal light go off, and back on when i put it back, ive checkd and fuses are good under hood and the interior ones also, any suggestions its driving me crazy

#20 ·
simple! test with a test light or multimeter.there all fused positive center and sides to ground.
with a good known ground on one end probe the center pin with other end for 12v
if 12v is good then reverse.with a good positive on one end probe the sides of the socket with the other end to see if theres a good ground.
that should tell you what you need to repair.
test with key on in some power outlets work with the key but not the rear one this one always works

#21 · (Edited)
Neither front power outlets work now. (Both originally worked...the one @ left when Commander was running, the right side worked ALL of the time). My REAR outlet is still working. We need them ALL on trips (for phones & GPS) to charge items. This REALLY seems to be a problem with this vehicle. We located fuses, but are unable to remove spare to replace (possible) blown fuse. We have located what manual says is "fuse location & spare location"...hope manual is correct! This should not be this much of a problem...also manual should be more informative!

#22 · (Edited)
Check the other fuse under the hood

I just fixed my left front (cigar lighter) outlet.The input to the 20 amp fuse was dead. I wound up pulling the inside fuse block and doing a continuity check on everything. So I followed the wire loom to the underhood power center.
The culprit was a 30 amp underhood fuse in the power distribution bay nearest the firewall. It is marked cigar/tow. The fuse looked good, but a VOM check shows it is bad.
Looking back, the outlet quit after towing a trailer. Something must have shorted out and blown the fuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.