Jeep Commander Forum banner

Fun with plasti-dip!

87K views 162 replies 61 participants last post by  turboash78 
#1 ·
Finally was able to plasti-dip my wheels and grill. I love the idea of this stuff I mean come on its removable paint! It's super durable, really forgiving, and easy to use. Comes in tons of colors even metallics and clear. I did mine matte black. The wheels took 2 cans, 2 coats, and about 2 hours. Home depot sells the spray cans for roughly 6-8 bucks a can. Since I've done mine I've gotten requests to do an entire ford escape flat black and my wife and her friends wheels. I highly recommend this product and am in no way associated with the product plasti-dip. Im going to get a few cans of clear before I go off road again and then peel it off when I'm done to avoid scratches. Feedback is welcomed.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been considering doing the same! Looks good!

#5 ·
Considering doing the grill of my black Commander in this! Any prep/application tips for it? Should I go with a can or the spray version?

Thanks!

#7 ·
No prep needed just a cleaning with windex or all purpose cleaner. No primer just clean dry and spray. I was able to do some touch ups and the paint levels out with the rest of the dry paint so it dries completely smooth even where it started dripping it dried smooth.

#9 ·
I checked the site, but couldn't tell if they have a gloss version? Any one know? I might want to put some of this on my bike!

#14 · (Edited)
You scratch an edge with your fingernail (hard) and peel it of like tape. It's not easy to get it started because its made to hold up to scratches but it peels off easily once you get it going. Here's a video of someone removing plasti dip from their roof:

#15 ·
I used it on my front and rear "Bull Ring" tow hooks. Never thought of using it on a large flat surface, but it seems to of worked well for you.

#16 ·
I'm going to toy around in Photoshop to see if I can't make my grill black before going out and buying the stuff. I'll post my Photoshop results if they're good, then my real results whenever I get around to it!

When applying it, is it safe to just place the grill on a piece of cardboard outside and start spraying away? Should I do the backside of the grill as well, or just the front?

#17 · (Edited)
All I did is set the grill on the ground and spray away i didnt spray the back since its not visible from the front. Guys I can't say enough how easy this stuff is and how great it looks. You don't need photoshop if you spray it and don't like it just let it dry then peel it off it's as easy as that! The spray is usually 5-8 dollars a can and one can goes a long way. I sprayed my wife's wheels yesterday and it took 1.5 cans.

What I recommend; be patient. Don't try to make it dark black the first go round. Do multiple light coats making sure you spray all areas thoroughly. After it dries you'll notice light spots where it wasn't fully covering a spot just spray over it lightly and it'll dry flat and look like normal. Also make sure theres no other liquids getting on the wet paint and make sure the surface is completely dry. One of my wheels got rained on and there were maybe 2-3 small drops I missed and painted over and it bubbled but I let it dry, peeled it off and re-sprayed, so easy!

#19 ·
Post pics when your done. You're going to be looking for parts to spray when you're done. I love using this stuff and I will continue to do so for a long time. The can says it should last for a year or more without fading and if it scratches you can spray the scratch and it'll fill in flat.

#20 ·
I just hope it doesn't look "off" considering my Commander is black. The body will have the shine to it while the grill will be more of a matte black.

#21 ·
Go to www.dipyourcar.com and order what's called "glossifier" it's a featured product that will change it from a matte finish to a shiny look. It also peels off like the plasti dip. You also can paint the plasti-dip so if you don't want to order online grab a can of clear coat from autozone and spray over it and since the plasti dip is the bottom coat it'll still peel off. I've only seen plasti dip at home improvement stores like lowes, home depot, and ace hardware. I've never been able to find it at autozone.

#24 ·
Did you tape off the attachment area on the grill (part where the push pins attach it to the engine compartment) prior to spraying it?

#26 ·
One thing I remembered is if you decide to remove or peel of part of the plasti dip make sure you cut out what you want to cut with a utility knife. For example I painted the entire wheel including the center cap and decided I'd peel the center cap to keep that chrome and I had to cut around the cap to prevent peeling from the wheel too.

A tip on painting wheels: don't paint inside the holes where the lug nuts go the lugs will grab the paint and when tightening the lug it will peel the paint as well. The hole actually turns into a conical hole which is where the lug touches, tape that part off or rub the paint off with your finger on each coat in that part of the wheel.

#70 ·
I mentioned it would not hold when tightening the lugs on the wheels. Mine also peeled on a few of them too but I'm not to particular about the lugs so some I mine peeled some didn't.

What I would do is use a lubricant on the sides of the lugs or peel the bottom of the inside of the hole.

Sorry it didnt work out for you though hopefully it didn't discourage you from trying it on other parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.