Jeep Commander Forum banner

4wheel drive?

26K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  xjtrailrider 
#1 ·
Sorry to all you who will thing I'm dumb for asking BUT how do i figure out if my 2007 jeep commander is 4 wheel drive?? I never though about it before since I was living in Florida but now I've moved to va and my jeep is burried under 3 feet if snow....

#2 ·
Look at the trim around the transmission shift gate. On the lower edge it should read QuadraTrac I, QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive II. For the latter two, there will also be a "T" shaped, chrome lever to the right of the shift gate for shifting into low gear. If you have a 4x2, the area next to the shift gate will be a narrow and shallow open bin about the size of a large cell phone. Also, check if you have the Trail Rated badge on the driver's side. Some models came with a 4x4 badge on the rear deck lid.

If you want to check for sure, look under the front suspension and there should be unequal length drive shafts running to the front wheels or look under the right front passenger area and there should be a transfer case or skid plate protecting it.

#3 ·
Look at the trim around the transmission shift gate. On the lower edge it should read QuadraTrac I, QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive II.
That is not correct. The only 4WD system that has a badge by the shifter is the Quadra-Drive II.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Or you could go out for a drive. If you get stuck, it is only two wheel drive. :)
That's sort of what I was thinking, Commander is in 3 feet of snow ... good .... put wife in Commander tell her to shift it to Drive and floor it ... observe front wheels for evidence of spinning :)

#10 ·
I've noticed in the last few weeks a lot of members have been asking if there XK is 4wd or not. I find it humorous that people are spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle and dont even know what they are getting. Boy would I love to be a car salesman.

#11 ·
I could not help but laugh when I read your post, I was thinking the same thing but did not want to say it. Who buys a vehicle and does not ask if it is a 4 Wheel drive or a 2 wheel drive?

#12 ·
I think a lot of people just "assume" because its a Jeep then it is 4wd. I don't because I know better. Jeep has done this since the beginning. The Jeepster comes to mind, Cherokee's (XJ) have been made both 2wd and 4wd from its beginning in 84 to its end in 01. Many new Wranglers are 2wd. Its a misconception.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.