Jeep Commander Forum banner

I'm going to be a guinea pig and try THIS!!

12K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Hummer recovery team 
#1 ·
#4 ·
That's what I thought. The various youtube videos is what sold me. The thing must be pretty bright, as a couple of youtubes show the logo on the ground at what looks like dusk outside.

I figured a Jeep logo lit up on the dirt on a trail would be a conversation starter.

The tracking number is live, and the package has been accepted by the People's Republic of China. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get here.

#5 ·
I very well may join you as that is really, really cool. I would be the follower, however, as I will wait to see how yours turns out! Thanks for blazing the path.

#6 ·
They must spread out pretty wide, because a door isn't that far above the ground. Another cool idea might be to mount one up above the windshield, and have a Jeep logo lit up on top of the hood. (Might distort though, because of the angle needed) Or... shine one out behind from the bumper, so people following can see a Jeep logo following along right behind it.

When I get the things in my hot mitts, I'll play around. They may or may not end up shining down from the doors. :)

Maybe mount them on the mirrors, so a Jeep logo appears on the sides of the doors when the lights are on.

#8 ·
Did you notice if they make custom logos?

#9 ·
#10 ·
THEY CAME!!! Two weeks to the day from China.

There is a but and however... I got a set of Jeep logos, but the Chrysler ones are Chevrolet instead.

But and however (again) my old 1967 Chevy truck is begging for those, so... maybe a floating Chevy logo (complete with gold, silver, and blue colors) floating alongside the truck at night maybe? There's no electrical in the doors, or even a dome light switch for that matter. I'm thinking project 'em down on each side from somewhere under the cab.

Anyway, here's a Jeep logo on the (filthy) floor under my workbench: I'm holding the projector about 30 inches from the ground. Notice my shoes in the photo. :)

#13 ·
I want! I want!

#14 ·
Very cool. Please include pics of the install. I'm curious where you will mount it. I checked on my door and it looks like there is not any plastic to to drill through to mount. You'll have to put a big hole in the sheet metal. I also want to see how you tie in the electric.

#16 ·
I went to Central Oregon to visit family for a few days, and now I'm back. I'll be installing them now. I'd like them to be done by our traditional New Year's Day trip. I'm almost thinking they can shine down at all times instead of with open doors. I'll scope it out tonight.

We don't know where we're going... yet, but the old 1950's picnic basket will be going along. It's become a running gag now, the first time was the wicker basket and a red checkered cloth laid out with a Thermos on top of that - on a picnic table with 2 feet of snow on it. :) That was at Dry Falls Washington. Last year, the basket etc. was on the edge of a cliff above an old dried up lake bed. (Black Lake)

I'm also debating where to put the Chevy ones on the old truck. I want them to be shining down when the headlights are on. I can't decide whether to put one each side, or at the front and rear ends.

The eBay seller is sending me a set of Chrysler ones since they screwed up. Works for me, that makes the Chevy ones a bonus. :)

#17 · (Edited)
Man, it's hard to get motivated with this cold weather. I didn't get anything done before the New Year trip, but so it goes. :(

My replacement Chrysler projectors came and I got one installed. They're real easy on the car, the door already has a courtesy light shining down. I mounted the projector (they're about 3/4" x 1.5 inches) in the door trim plastic, and wired it to the courtesy light. It took about 20 minutes. The bottom of the trim pulled away far enough to get the job done without removing the whole thing.

I left the original light there, and the projector is about 10 inches away from it. The logo really pops when the light is blocked, but the light is nice to have too, so I left it. I can always duct tape over it, or toss the bulb out.

On the Jeep, I'm going to have to fish wiring to the courtesy light under the dash since there's no door light. (I'd have swore there was one there) I think the edge of the plastic door trim will be wide enough.

The trouble with working in the shop is when I run the kerosene torpedo heater, after a while I start getting gassed. When it warms up, I'll be more excited about installing the things.

The things are COOL. When the 300's door is opened, the Chrysler logo "slides out" as if attached to something solid.

#19 ·

#20 ·
Very nice, looking forward to the Jeep install report.

#21 ·
Did one door of the Jeep, and it's a PITA. Pictures and a write up to follow soon. (Hopefully today)

#22 ·
Can't wait to see it.

#23 · (Edited)
Here 'tis.

First of all, I discovered the projectors have a built in timer. After about 2 minutes, they shut down, and need a power reset to restart. The only power sources in the XK's door is switched ignition and un-switched battery, both of which are worthless to power the logo projector. That means the door panel MUST come off, and the projector wire has to run to the courtesy (dome) lights. That's the only way they'll light up with an open door.

So...

Remove three screws from the door panel. One is obvious, close to the door hinge side. Another is under the door handle. Pop out the little trim piece to find the screw:

The last is under the door handle:

Then, use a plastic trim removing tool, or maybe a thin putty knife to remove eight trim "poppers" shown here: (They will let go as each pulls out of the door itself)

Remove and unplug the window and lock control by "popping" it loose, as it has the same type of pop clips. The cables are short, and there are push-in release buttons to unlock. Remove the controls, and set aside. You will then be able to see inside the door panel to get to the lock linkage. Swing the yellow clip away to release the linkage rod.

More...

#24 · (Edited)
Now, lift the door panel up and away from where it hooks on under the window. Set it aside.

Here's the back of the projector, mounted about mid way in the door steel. The projectors include a nice little hole saw, and it makes fast work of the door steel. Power the projector with clip leads to set the logo's orientation, then tighten the lock rings.

Next comes the FUN part! The door wiring "snorkel" pops out with locking tabs. You'll have to make a tool like I did to get the back side to let go. Once it's out, pull the rubber boot away to expose the plastic frame piece. Fish the projector's small cable thru the boot, then thru the plastic frame. The arrows shows the little black cable.

You will have to poke a hole into the rubber sheet inside to get access to under the dash. You will have to remove the kick panel, sill piece, and rubber door seal to get back there. Your trim popper tool will work here too. The rubber sheet is a bit lower than the main hole of the wiring "snorkel" and an inspection mirror will help.

Be sure the rubber boot is completely back onto the plastic frame before popping it back into place.

Inside, under the dash, you can tap into the courtesy light that's there. I used solder and tape. You will have to trial and error here, I think the red was positive and yellow negative. I think. :) Notice my all-in-the-mike CB remote unit.

If all went well, you will have this with an open door. It's bright enough to be a courtesy light outside. The projector is outside the door seal, but there's about 1/2" of clearance there, so it won't interfere with the door. You might have to clean the lens once in a while.

#25 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, you'll have to remove the speaker to access the back of the door wiring "snorkel" first. Tyrap the projector cable to the original wiring bundle to keep it out of the window machinery.

I'd guess the passenger side will be very similar, and there's a courtesy light on that side as well. I haven't done mine yet. :)

#26 ·
Wow...that's a pretty involved process. Thanks for the write up. Good job !

#27 ·
Looks awesome but very involved process

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.