Jeep Commander Forum banner

Jeep commander makes a roaring sound

12K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Getty59 
#1 ·
My jeep commander 5.7 hemi makes sins today a roaring sound, what seems to come from the front. It doesn't sound if its coming from the engine, and I checked the oil level (its ok). The gears are working ok, and I pumped the tires. But the noise is still there. I braked a couple of times hard, but no difference. The sound is louder at around 40 and 60 km per hour. I did some 8 turns, but no difference in changing sound.

Anybody some idea what this can be????:8:

#3 ·
I Thought The hemi doesnt have a clutch. Its hydraulic run off the power steering pump.. it could still be stuck on via a bad temp switch..

#6 ·
The Jeep Commander Hemi has a hydraulic driven fan powered by the power steering pump. There is a solenoid that controls the speed and there should be a temp sensor someplace, remember that this system does not use normal power steering fluid either.

05142893AA - Hydraulic System / Power Steering Fluid (MS-10838)

David

#7 ·
My Jeep is having the same issue. It starts to roar at about 50 mph and the loudness peaks at about 55. It starts to roar really loud at about 55. Then once I get above 60 it goes away. It only does it between 50-60.

It is not engine noise... It seems to be getting worse so I have to locate the problem soon.

Let me know what you find out!

Thanks

#8 ·
My Jeep is having the same issue. It starts to roar at about 50 mph and the loudness peaks at about 55. It starts to roar really loud at about 55. Then once I get above 60 it goes away. It only does it between 50-60.

It is not engine noise... It seems to be getting worse so I have to locate the problem soon.

Let me know what you find out!

Thanks
I went to the dealer, they did a inspection, and they told me that it is the right side wheel bearing. As far as I feel and know, this doesn't feels ok. Anyway I ordered two new wheel bearings ( 2 was cheaper than 1). and waiting till they come in. (im going to do them both). I will keep you updated if the roaring sound went. Like I said, it doesn't feel right (but who am I). As many 8 turns I did, and felt the wheel, it doesn't in any way change the sound. But I will replace the bearings, so be it.

#9 ·
What brand wheel bearing did you go with? I hope you either got them from the dealer or purchased timken wheel bearings. If they are duralst or any brand like that they are garbage!!!

#11 ·
Timken are one of the best! Good choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.