Jeep Commander Forum banner

2008 Jeep Commander Map Update Question

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  filo8818 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a 2008 Jeep Commander and would like to know if Navteq is selling a newer version of the map then the one I currently have. According to my system I have the following version:

N 207 0807

I tried to contact my jeep dealer and request an update but they were operating off different version codes (I think). They indicated the newest version will be (this was a couple months ago):

82212549AB

I'm not sure if this is a part number (which I suspect) or something entirely different. Anyways, could someone decode this for me and direct me to the latest version of the software? The Navteq website does not indicate when the version they are selling was released or what version it is.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 · (Edited)
I think you would be better off buying a Garmin or some other stand-alone GPS, rather than replacing the nav Disk you have, if you often travel where you need turn-by-turn directions. I have an iPhone and an iPad and I can't recall the last time I used the onboard sat-nav for guidance.

If you need something more robust than the iPhone maps app, go with a portable GPS. Most now come with lifetime traffic and map updates. Besides, the disks are expensive. I think the price for the current issue is around $200 dollars. A Garmin can be had for about half of that and no more update issues to boot. Cheers. Jorge

PS: welcome to the forum; if you haven't done it yet, go to the introduction thread and say howdy.

#4 ·
I appreciate the response. Really like the fact there is a forum like this and people like you to help me out with these questions.

I agree the portable GPS units (to include iPhones) are the road ahead for digital navigation options. I'm sure at some point in the not-so-distant future dash mounted units will automatically update (for cost I'm sure) using cell/wifi. Maybe they do that already. It's just strange that existing navigation software is so hard and expensive to update. I know the actual physical act of an update is easy but finding the right software is a complete mystery to me.

I have an old TomTom and use Garmin for my business. Really like them but I also am one of those people who like to keep my vehicle and electronics up to date. Believe me I recognize an updated $200 DVD in a 2008 navigation system is not the smartest move. But... I'm one of those suckers being born every day. Haha.

I will try and contact Navteq and see what they say. If I actually get a response I will post it.

#5 ·
actually u can find this map online, on some torrent site. then u download it and you burn it on a vibermatim dual layer dvd using img burn and is done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.