Jeep Commander Forum banner

Buying a Commander...list and mod questions

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  07JeepXK 
#1 ·
I am buying my father in laws' 2008 Commander Limited with the Hemi. It has 31,000 miles and of course is pristine.
I have owned numerous Cjs...Wranglers...Cherokees and Rubicons. I have built them mild to near extreme.

My lifestyle now is kids...camping...boating. I went the Commander route mostly for the towing. I want a machine that can tow a camper...and do some mild to mid off roading.

My question is mostly about a lift. I understand that the 2" OME is probably the wisest choice...especially for a driver. I am intrigued by seperating my Commander from the 1,000s of other SUVs running the streets.

I like the look and aggressiveness of a 4" lift. Is the trade off to go from 2" to 4" worth it? I understand that parts may wear faster on 4".....is the ride that much worse? With a SL 4" and new UCAs...am I good to go?

#2 ·
I think the best person to ask about the 4" lift is Phunkeydude. He had the 4" lift and he lost his right UCA on a trail in Sedona. He can also adress his different UCA's that he tried. You can read about his Sedona experience here.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5272

#3 ·
The ride with the 4" superlift is going to be "better" than the ride with the OME because you retain down travel and stock spring rates.

If you're even thinking about the superlift... do it!

Phunky had an issue with a poorly designed aftermarket balljoint, not the stock ones.

Actually, most members have issues running the "upgraded" upper control arms since they're all designed for a 2" spacer/spring lift which increases the angle of the control arms. The superlift retains stock control arm angles.

#4 ·
So...if I go with a Superlift 4"....I can retain the stock upper control arms?
Any other mods that I should consider in relation to the lift? Di I need to do anything with driveshafts or CVs? (my Cherokee and Rubicon coming out!)

I am going to install aftermarket bumpers and rear carrier as well.

#6 ·
Nothing else you "need" to add to the superlift but I would recommend upgrading the front struts while you have it apart.

Im about to order a steel armadillo rear bumper... how soon are you planning on getting a rear bumper? Im sure they'd prefer to manufacture two at the same time. He's also working on a front bumper for our commanders that'll probably be available early 2013.

For the OME you dont need to wait until you have new UCAs. I wheel more than most and my UCAs are holding up well. Also JBA is working on a new UCA design so I would recommend waiting until the newer version is available.

#8 ·
Theres a picture of the current steel armadillo front bumper on their website (google Steel Armadillo since I get yelled at if I post links), the new one I believe will be a slimmed down version of that and look a bit more OEM. We have threads about it on a different forum.

Figured if you're interested in a rear bumper it would save a few bucks in manufacturing costs if they can make more than one at a time (if we both order he may even make 3 and keep one in "stock"). Maybe we can both get the rear bumpers now... and then next spring if/when the fronts are done we can both get the fronts; its win-win for everyone involved ;)

#11 ·
I like the look and aggressiveness of a 4" lift. Is the trade off to go from 2" to 4" worth it? I understand that parts may wear faster on 4".....is the ride that much worse? With a SL 4" and new UCAs...am I good to go?
Actually parts will wear faster on a 2 inch lift than a 4 inch lift. The 4 inch lift puts everything back to stock geometry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.