Jeep Commander Forum banner

HyperTech MaxEnergy for the 3.7L V6

24K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  luckyse7ens 
#1 ·
FYI guys,

HyperTech has come out with their MaxEnergy Programmer for the 2007-2010 3.7L V6 Commanders............. But wait! How about us with 2006s!

I would recommend everyone with a 2006 XK or know someone with a 2005-2006 WK to call or email HyperTech to ask them if they make the MaxEnergy for their vehicle. Most vendors base what products to sell on demand.

#2 ·
FYI guys,

HyperTech has come out with their MaxEnergy Programmer for the 2007-2010 3.7L V6 Commanders............. But wait! How about us with 2006s!

I would recommend everyone with a 2006 XK or know someone with a 2005-2006 WK to call or email HyperTech to ask them if they make the MaxEnergy for their vehicle. Most vendors base what products to sell on demand.
There should be no difference between a 2006 and 2007 Commander.

#6 · (Edited)
Here is the link:

http://www.hypertech.com/

What I find interesting is they list the same part number for the Speedometer Calibrator #752001 for both the 2005/2006 WK/XK and the 2007-2010 WK/XK with the 3.7L V6. But not the MaxEnergy Power or MaxEnergy Econ, which are just for the 2007-2010.

#8 ·
Amazon has them on sale for $294.82. It's weird it says it won't fit my Commander but if you read the description closely it says "3.8L" so that may be why. This thing was at the very bottom of my wish list but has since moved up a few spaces due to the fact I can change the speedo when I get my new tires at the end of summer. It really is the only thing on the market that can bump up HP on the 3.7 as well.

#10 ·
So what 's the word? Someone at HyperTech should know the reason.

#11 ·
I had the same response with the techs. They said that it will NOT work on the '06s.

Alltho, the first time I called (I have called 4 times) the tech recommended the Max Energy 52001 for my Jeep.....?.......

I'm going to try some E-mails and see if that gets to the top, past the techs.

#12 ·
Maybe a call to one of their engineers or programmers if possible. I'm sure they could shed some light on why not the 2006's

#13 ·
I e-mailed Hypertech with some questions and let them know about my experience with tech support........ Here is their response...
"Caleb

I’m sorry about the confusion must have been a miss understanding on the model year. We all use the same source to find out which products we have available for the different model years, makes and engines. We just recently started supporting the 3.7 liter with our Programmers. We support the 2007 and newer only at this time.
Now we do support the 2006 Jeep Commander with the 3.7 with our Speedometer Calibrator part# 752001. This unit calibrates the speedometer only for tire and/or rear axle changes. Maybe the tech mentioned this so you’d know in case that would help.
The vehicle computer calibrations and VIN are different each year and the Programmer 52001 is not programmed to recognize the 2006 model. I recommend going to our website using this link to enter a product request, http://209.12.144.7/requests.php. We use this list to determine the vehicles we support plus you’ll be notified once available. Thanks

Jim"
I did the product request in the link they provided, hopefully if enough owners would do the same we will get a programmer made for us '06ers.

#14 ·
Jet Chips Programmer

Spoke to Jet Chips and their programmer will work in our 3.7s.................with a wopping +12hp and +10lbs torque for stage 1..........+17 hp and +13lbs torque for stage 2. I don't see that as a good deal considering the price tag of $250-$300 (depending on where you shop). The cheapest price I found was $228, which makes it out to be $19 per HP for stage 1. Not worth the while in my opinion, plus Jet Chips has some bad reviews on-line.
SO, I ordered the Hypertech speedometer calibrator to correct my tire size issue and hopefully it will correct my "hunting" for gears while on the highway. I will post up in my garage when I recieve it and install it.

#15 ·
Hey peeps bought my new hypertech max energy programer, had it for a month now just thought you might want to know how it's going.
don't notice a big difference city but I have taken a few of long trips with it and wow!!
2mpg city gain and 4mpg gain hywy. Nice my 3.7 will do 115mph easy and plenty of power.
And those of you out there that think that the 3.7L is maxed out off the showroom floor. NO car or truck sold in the US is maxed out off the assembly line.

#16 · (Edited)
It's not that the 3.7 liter is maxed out from the factory. There just isn't that many aftermarket parts to gain a great amount of HP. Just a few bolt ons like intake, exhaust and programmer. And the 3.7 liters only come with 3.07 gears unless you were one of the select few that got a 3.7 with QT II and 4 low that has 3.55 gears

#19 ·
So you're saying despite what the techs from the company have said, this unit will work in the '06 3.7l?

#18 ·
If your looking to get more HP/TQ JBA sells headers for the liberty 3.7 liter that will bolt right on. They are shorty headers. Just search for 05 Jeep Liberty. eBay usually has them for a lot less money then other online stores.

#20 ·
They must have just added it recently. I ordered mine from autoanything.com for $280 with free shipping. Got a coupon code for 15% off. The website said it would work on mine. First thing I did was update the tuner and they had an option for 02-06 dodge and jeep 3.7, I think those were the years. I know the 07 and up was a different program. I followed the instructions and everything worked fine. I can tell a difference in throttle response and I think its gonna get me a little better mileage.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#21 ·
Well I think you will be happy with it. it realy did make a world of difference

#22 · (Edited)
So, this coupled with the CAI I already have, going to make an even bigger noticeable difference? I'm allllll for it if it'll get me an extra MPG or two. And if I can switch it to fun mode and notice that too, even better.

Edit: Well pulled the trigger. Hope it's worth it!

#23 · (Edited)
Just did a few quick runs with mine. I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't allow me to choose shift points, but it will allow rev limit (though the manual states you must modify rev and shift points together?) or modify shift firmness (thought it would at least do the latter - plan on calling Hypertech about it), but everything else is working great.

Performance increased as expected. As it appears now, my 0-60 is at about 9.9 seconds, and 1/4 mile is at 18 seconds. So, roughly 2 seconds slower than the HEMI. Not bad for the little V6 :burnout:.

No comments on MPG or throttle response yet as I haven't driven it around much. Will update with that later on.

Edit: Spoke with the techs. They said they don't do modifications to Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep tranny's, and that's why there's no options for it.

#26 ·
Yes it will. It will also do gear ratio changes too

#27 ·
Just to update, I did a quick run today with stock and tuned settings. It was about 35 degrees out, and I only drove about 3 miles in the Jeep at low speed to try to warm it up before testing. I don't believe the HP figures to be accurate due to the RPM not showing its max, nor is the vehicle's weight 100% accurate. Also, the device polls the OBD2 not as often as one would like, so I'm not sure if it is displaying max information right before a shift or not.

Also, I drove about 2 miles on a slightly hilly straight country road at 39 MPH on cruise. Stock yielded 14.5 MPG, tuned 16.5 MPG. However, the difference in how much the vehicle had warmed up between tests may have had an impact as well.

First run at stock:

Second run tuned:

#28 ·
Just got my Hypertech Max Energy Programmer delivered while at work today. I got home plugged it in and got 3 codes that I can't find out what they are (FCM: B1D4F, FCM: C20A1, ABS: C2100) but I cleared them anyways. Then got ready to program and got the message "THIS PROGRAMMER IS NOT FOR THIS VEHICLE. CHECK PART NUMBER BEFORE UPDATING OVER THE INTERNET." Of course Tech Service closed at 5 CST.....guess I have to wait 'til tomorrow. :(

Part number was 52501 and says its for a Jeep 04-UP.

#29 ·
Did you update the software on the programmer prior to trying it? Do that first, then it should work.

#30 ·
Tech support confirmed I needed to run the update. Updated it and installed without a problem.

#31 ·
Here's the results after testing out my new Hypertech tune.

Before programming, and changing plugs I was getting around 17.9 MPG on the highway with cruise set at 75 on the relatively flat terrain between Cleveland, OH and Ann Arbor, MI. At 65 MPH I would get low 18's (18.2-18.5 MPG).

After installing the Hypertech program (and resetting the computer by unplugging the neg battery cable and putting the key in the on position) I started the engine and let it idle for about 5 minutes. I then headed out for a stop and go trip through town for about 10 minutes, then headed for the highway. I set the cruise at 60, reset the MPG and drove for about 10 miles and got 22 MPG. I got off the highway and got back on going the other direction to head home. This time I set the cruise to 70 and averaged 20.2.

Besides the improved MPG, the improved acceleration is really noticable. A side benefit is that my speedometer is now within 2 MPH of what my GPS reads at highway speed.

In hindsight I wish I would have got a good baseline after changing out my spark plugs before the programming so I could tell how much of the improvement was from the plugs and how much was from the program.

#33 ·
Interesting results. Thanks for the report.

Could you list the specific parameters that can be altered using the programmer?
The optional parameters are
1. Top speed limiter
2. Engine RMP rev limiter
3. Speedometer/odometer correction for changing from stock tire size.
4. Option to chooose the tune based on fuel (Regular or Premium)

The programmer also has parameters for changing shift points and shift firmness but these parameters are not able to be used on the XK.

#34 ·
Is it worth the cost? I would think definitely if it changed shifts points. If it can't even change shift firmness, I'm on the fence about getting one.

Having such a soft first gear on the road isn't a problem, but I'm offroad twice a week. I don't care for that sloppy delay going uphill from a stop. I really want it to be more predictable when I need to hop up and over rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.