Jeep Commander Forum banner

Airbag light illuminates

18K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  rubicontrail.net 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Jeep Commader and the airbag light turns on when i make a sharp turn go over a good sized pothole or pull into a drive way rather quikly. before it would turn on and off chimming every time. now it just turn on and stays on. anybody else have this problem? warranty issue im sure.

#2 ·
I have had similar interment problems with the Air Bag too. I have taken it in for the dealer to scan. They found nothing and sent me on my way. The light stays on for days at times and other times for a few minutes. I have not figured out any pattern to it.

#5 ·
It sounds like your passenger seat is out of calibration. Some reason or another the seat is sensing more weight on seat than empty, like if a child is seating there, which will eluminate light (if weight is under 60lbs) to indicate air bag is off. Just a thought.;)

#6 ·
Or your not seatbelting that really big lunch you take to work on the passenger seat!

#7 · (Edited)
Mine happens when one or two people are in the vehicle both seat belted. Nothing is in the passenger seat when one person is in the vehicle. Light comes on while starting then doesn't turn off for a few miles if at all. No codes stored. Factory radio/Nav unit. Sometimes the light comes on while driving down the road for no reason.

On Edit: I'm not talking about the indicator that states the passenger air bag is off. I'm talking about the air bag indicator that states a problem with the system.

#9 ·
Exactly that's how my wife feels about it to. Since it's her ride.

#11 ·
Checked under the driver and passenger seats and found a stuck flash light that could have partially crushed wiring. After removing the flashlight and making sure the wires are not touching any metallic part and not shorted to each other, I repositioned the wires. The air bag light in the EVIC turned off. This morning, my wife drove the Commander to work and she said that the light never turned on the whole time from home to office ~ 10 miles of stop and go plus 5 miles highway.

#13 ·
So I guess everyone having this problem needs to check under the seats for a flashlight?:D

#13 ·
That'll learn ya. :)

I have a hard mounted D-cell maglite in my Cherokee but don't have one hard mounted in my Commander. Right now I just have a mini maglite in my safety and recovery kit in the back.

I have learned to put anything that can roll under the seats, especially the driver seat. The last thing you need is stuff rolling out and getting stuck under the pedals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.