Help, Dash lights FLASHING! - Page 3 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Points: 8,711, Level: 62 Points: 8,711, Level: 62 Points: 8,711, Level: 62
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
I got to experience the dashboard light show last night. Driving downtown to the post office in the mixed rain/sleet and the gauges and headlights and HVAC fan all started to rapidly go off and on. It may be coincidence but it seemed like it started when I hit a bump in the road. The vehcle did not lose power. I didn't freek out since I have read about it happening here on the forum. I just kept driving with it like that and after about 5 minutes it quit. Then after a few minutes it started again. Got to the po, turned off the XK and went inside. When I was leaving the po I used the remote start and drove home with no further issues. I have not driven it yet today but will later tonight. Hopefully it was just a one time thing. Feel free to offer anything helpful.
Suspect it's the wiring harness running along the radiator mounting cross member, there's probably a faulty wire in there somewhere being the culprit. As you know, I've been there and done that in recent years with both my XH's and my sons XH last week!
Jeep Commander 5.7 Limited (Late 2007 MY)
EX Jeep Commander Hemi 5.7 Limited Owner
Ex Jeep Commander CRD 3.0Ltr Limited Owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

My dash lights - only the idiot lights - came on once for three days in a row last week. Did not affect power, or heater fans. Took it to the dealer - no code. They told me if it happens again, bring it in, but don't turn it off to see if a code is stored.
MODIFICATIONS: P255/65R17 Wrangler SA, Chrome Tow Hooks, 4.7L Badge, Black Grill w/Mopar Grill Guard, All LTD Chrome, LTD Exterior App Pkg, Mopar Molded Mud & Taillamp Guards, Woodview English Burlwood Molded Dash, Dk Slate Gray Leather Console Lid and E-brake Handle, Kicker/Infinity, NAVUS, Bilstein Shocks, aFe cai, Nokya HyperYellow Fogs, Rear Fogs
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Points: 8,195, Level: 61 Points: 8,195, Level: 61 Points: 8,195, Level: 61
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
I got to experience the dashboard light show last night. Driving downtown to the post office in the mixed rain/sleet and the gauges and headlights and HVAC fan all started to rapidly go off and on. It may be coincidence but it seemed like it started when I hit a bump in the road. The vehicle did not lose power. I didn't freek out since I have read about it happening here on the forum. I just kept driving with it like that and after about 5 minutes it quit. Then after a few minutes it started again. Got to the po, turned off the XK and went inside. When I was leaving the po I used the remote start and drove home with no further issues. I have not driven it yet today but will later tonight. Hopefully it was just a one time thing. Feel free to offer anything helpful.

Were the headlight flickering as well? It sounds just like what mine did. If so see the post two above yours.

There was a long length of time between the first and second time this happened to me, about six months. Then 4 months again after that. Finally it was every time the headlights were on.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Points: 47,434, Level: 100 Points: 47,434, Level: 100 Points: 47,434, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
Were the headlight flickering as well? It sounds just like what mine did. If so see the post two above yours.

There was a long length of time between the first and second time this happened to me, about six months. Then 4 months again after that. Finally it was every time the headlights were on.
Yes, they were doing something. Not sure if they were turning off and on or just alternating between high and low beams.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

Something similar has happened to mine twice. Both times it was pretty cold outside and one of the times it was snowing very hard (don't know if that plays a role). Basically all the lights on the dashboard light up, the MPH and RPM gauges go crazy (both simultaneously go from 0 to max even though the car is moving at around 20mph and the engine is slowly powering down), and the car powered down. It took about 20 seconds to get the car to start up again after I pulled aside and shut it off (turned the key and nothing happened, but after about 20 seconds the ignition kicked in). I noticed someone posting that a leaky windshield might be the culprit. Although no water gets through mine, it seems to be EXTREMELY loud on the highway at around 60mph and up, so I assume there may be a leak somewhere. Anyone have the same symptoms as me or is mine one of the few possessed Jeeps out there?
2007 Jeep Commander 4x4 BLACK: 2" RC Lift, 17" Matte Black V-Tec Rims, 255/75/17 Tires, E&G Classics Grill, K&N CAI, Tinted Windows/Turn Signals/Taillights, 25000K HID Low Beams/Fog Lights, 12" Kicker CVX Subwoofers, AVS Vent Visors, MOPAR Roof Bars/Step Bars, LED Lighting, 13" Rubber Antenna, Rear Grab Handles, MOPAR Front Suspension Skid Plate, Chrome Fascia, Weathertech Floor Liners.

Future Mods: Black Out Grill, AVS Bugshield, New Kicker Speakers.

Wish List: Dual Super 44s
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Points: 47,434, Level: 100 Points: 47,434, Level: 100 Points: 47,434, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yioryosimo View Post
Something similar has happened to mine twice. Both times it was pretty cold outside and one of the times it was snowing very hard (don't know if that plays a role). Basically all the lights on the dashboard light up, the MPH and RPM gauges go crazy (both simultaneously go from 0 to max even though the car is moving at around 20mph and the engine is slowly powering down), and the car powered down. It took about 20 seconds to get the car to start up again after I pulled aside and shut it off (turned the key and nothing happened, but after about 20 seconds the ignition kicked in). I noticed someone posting that a leaky windshield might be the culprit. Although no water gets through mine, it seems to be EXTREMELY loud on the highway at around 60mph and up, so I assume there may be a leak somewhere. Anyone have the same symptoms as me or is mine one of the few possessed Jeeps out there?
Mine did not lose power and the mph and rpm gauges did not act up. Just all the gauge lights, headlights, and hvac fan going off and on real fast. I think you might have a different issue since the engine is involved.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Points: 8,195, Level: 61 Points: 8,195, Level: 61 Points: 8,195, Level: 61
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

It sure sounds like the same thing I had. It cost me $40 for the dealer to diagnose. They hooked it up to the computer then waited for it to start screwing up again.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
It sure sounds like the same thing I had. It cost me $40 for the dealer to diagnose. They hooked it up to the computer then waited for it to start screwing up again.
Already made a note of your solution as well as another member who had the same symtoms but was caused by a bad ignition switch. And also the wiring as suggested by UK Commander.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Points: 4,497, Level: 42 Points: 4,497, Level: 42 Points: 4,497, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

I've been having this problem since last year, but only in severely cold weather (mid 20's and below). Started with just the ESP turning off (last year) Now the gauges and dash lights flash, but it runs fine. Can't tell what the headlights are doing because it has always been during the day.

Still under warranty, but the thing about having the dealer checking it is that I have programmed to computer with Superchips. I have to bring it back to original which will most likely wipe the error codes. I'll check for codes before I go. Weather for the rest of the week is calling for 50 plus degrees, so I doubt it'll happen again until next year.

-Rob

Had 265x70R17 Firestone Destination MT. ATs are better for Daily Driving.

Also...
'08 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited... Commander is taller.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I am confused. ( Easy for me )

Sounds like we have a few issues here. Some people describe a dash light problem, some an ignition switch problem where the dash, gauges, etc go crazy, and some a headlight problem. Unless you mention it in your post it is hard (for me anyway) to figure out which one you are talking about.

I have/had the dash light problem, and I assume it is the directional/headlight control stalk. I generally run the dash lights all the way dim in the position just before turning off the dome lights. If I brighten them they are fine, but at that position once in a while they will begin to flicker. I move the dial that dims the dash lights back and forth a bunch of times and it is fine for a while ( like weeks).
265/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S
Gibson 3" SS Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion