Air Bag Light - Page 2 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have checked everything i can check and found nothing, One thing i have seen is that once I've been driving for about 2 Miles it comes on and stays on until I shut it off and does the same thing all the time. It will stay like that unless I get any other self check ideas, definitly won't pay a dealer for a sensor or relay switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Points: 5,914, Level: 49 Points: 5,914, Level: 49 Points: 5,914, Level: 49
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Mine inadvertantly came on this morning. If I shut the engine off and restart it goes away for about 8-10 minutes. On arriving at work, I moved the seat forward and bounced in the chair for a bit. Hopefully, this will correct. I think the wife had a stack of magazines behind her chair, on our recent vacation, it might be that I'm stepping on the brake and they are sliding up under the seat bumping wires.

KKKKFL
Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Points: 9,060, Level: 64 Points: 9,060, Level: 64 Points: 9,060, Level: 64
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I took the plunge and spent the money on AutoEnginuity, with the Enhanced Chrysler Diagnostics package, nearly $500.

1st thing I put it on was my 2002 Mini-Van that has had that airbag light on for several years now. Within seconds it pulled up the codes for the airbags, it was a code for an open circuit to the passenger side airbag. I had cleaned that connector at least 3 times over the years, and the light goes out when temps are below freezing. I decided the connector must NOT be making solid enough contact to pass the self test (just resistance too high will fail the test). Took the connector apart with a small screwdriver, and then bent the tabs to put more pressure on the connections. Put it back together (using cell phone pics as reference so the wires didn't get mixed up) and sure enough, the next start the cell bag light went out. And it has stayed out. Probably a half hour from beginning to end once I had a good scantool (Keep in mind, the scan tool hasn't paid for itself yet, I will use it a lot in the future, but if this was all I needed it for, it would have been a lot cheaper visiting the dealer).

My mini-van has a dozen connectors and they are a bright yellow color to differentiate them from other electrical connectors. I'd assume the Commander is the same way.

Cleaning all the connectors, can't hurt, but in the case of my mini-van it took a lot of time and it didn't work, which is frustrating. Soon as the scan tool narrowed it down to one connector for me, I was able to figure it out and fix it.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

the light now stays on once i start the jeep, to get to the sensor behind the front bumper, do i have to take off the bumper or can i get it without doing so? apprx were are they located?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Points: 5,914, Level: 49 Points: 5,914, Level: 49 Points: 5,914, Level: 49
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Found my problem... Symptoms... drive for about 7-10 minutes light came on...
Survey sez...

Looked under passenger seat and sure enough, found a filled waterbottle left over from trip to beach... everytime I stepped on the brake waterbottle rolled forward slamming wires, triping sensor.

Good to have this forum, I would have been looking for bumper sensors etc.

Too bad they're not all this easy.

KKKKFL
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Angry

I also have a 06 when I have something(between 10 and 30 lbs sitting on the front of the seat the light comes on(saying its off) any other time the light is off(saying the airbags are on). When people are sitting in the seat the light stays off and when the seat is empty the light stays off! The dealer told me that there is nothing wrong with the airbags or the seat! I have looked under the seat and there is nothing caught under there. This has been an issue since March. Just being in an accident and no airbags going off worries me now! Any ideas what to do next??? Im taking it back to the dealer to get fixed from the accident with all paperwork from the services from the time I bought it but hoping one of you may have some ideas!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

How bad of an accident that the air bags didn't deploy? Sometimes is good if the don't deploy as long as you made it out if the accident ok. If the airbags deploy you can pretty much guarantee your jeep to be totaled
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Administrator
Points: 55,720, Level: 100 Points: 55,720, Level: 100 Points: 55,720, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
A year ago I had a problem with my light coming on, I went to the dealer and they told me it was because I carried items in the passenger seat (which I do not) and it cost me $208 to get a new sensor. Now a year later it is back on and I KNOW I do not use the passenger seat as I made a point not to because of last year.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

Garage Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

I always put stuff in my passenger seat and never had a problem. In fact I've never had it ever say that the air bag was off because of 10-30 lbs in the seat.
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Points: 4,223, Level: 41 Points: 4,223, Level: 41 Points: 4,223, Level: 41
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Intermittent airbag light often indicates an issue with the passenger weight sensor. It's inside the passenger seat and is supposed to sense the weight of a small person or child and temporarily disable the passenger airbag.

The sensors rarely go bad, but they will occasionally need to be recalibrated which should cost about an hour of shop time. This is a dealer only service. When you describe the problem, tell them you did an open circuit test at home and that you just need the sensor recalibrated.

Of course, you didn't really, but they will be less likely to just replace the part when it likely just needs the recalibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion