2008 Jeep Commander Map Update Question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2008 Jeep Commander Map Update Question

I own a 2008 Jeep Commander and would like to know if Navteq is selling a newer version of the map then the one I currently have. According to my system I have the following version:

N 207 0807

I tried to contact my jeep dealer and request an update but they were operating off different version codes (I think). They indicated the newest version will be (this was a couple months ago):

82212549AB

I'm not sure if this is a part number (which I suspect) or something entirely different. Anyways, could someone decode this for me and direct me to the latest version of the software? The Navteq website does not indicate when the version they are selling was released or what version it is.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by KoruII; 11-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Points: 4,915, Level: 44 Points: 4,915, Level: 44 Points: 4,915, Level: 44
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

I think you would be better off buying a Garmin or some other stand-alone GPS, rather than replacing the nav Disk you have, if you often travel where you need turn-by-turn directions. I have an iPhone and an iPad and I can't recall the last time I used the onboard sat-nav for guidance.

If you need something more robust than the iPhone maps app, go with a portable GPS. Most now come with lifetime traffic and map updates. Besides, the disks are expensive. I think the price for the current issue is around $200 dollars. A Garmin can be had for about half of that and no more update issues to boot. Cheers. Jorge

PS: welcome to the forum; if you haven't done it yet, go to the introduction thread and say howdy.
2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party

Last edited by JeepJorge; 11-18-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Send a message via AIM to mrnavy2
OR just use your Smart Phone.

I am US Navy Retired, 1976 - 1996
and Proud to have served
OUR COUNTRY
Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

I appreciate the response. Really like the fact there is a forum like this and people like you to help me out with these questions.

I agree the portable GPS units (to include iPhones) are the road ahead for digital navigation options. I'm sure at some point in the not-so-distant future dash mounted units will automatically update (for cost I'm sure) using cell/wifi. Maybe they do that already. It's just strange that existing navigation software is so hard and expensive to update. I know the actual physical act of an update is easy but finding the right software is a complete mystery to me.

I have an old TomTom and use Garmin for my business. Really like them but I also am one of those people who like to keep my vehicle and electronics up to date. Believe me I recognize an updated $200 DVD in a 2008 navigation system is not the smartest move. But... I'm one of those suckers being born every day. Haha.

I will try and contact Navteq and see what they say. If I actually get a response I will post it.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Points: 6,610, Level: 53 Points: 6,610, Level: 53 Points: 6,610, Level: 53
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

actually u can find this map online, on some torrent site. then u download it and you burn it on a vibermatim dual layer dvd using img burn and is done
Present: 2007 Jeep Commander 3.0 L CRD - 2" lift kit - full led interior lights - 6000K HID low beam and fog lights - black HULK wheels - custom side exhaust system - DPF removed - matte black front grille (plastidip).
Previous: 2003 Jeep Cherokee/Liberty 2.8 L CRD - custom exhaust system - front bar protection - custom rear tail light - sold at 110.000 KM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
map, navteq, question, software, update