Transfer case removal-help required? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Points: 5,323, Level: 46 Points: 5,323, Level: 46 Points: 5,323, Level: 46
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via Skype™ to multihull
Transfer case removal-help required?

Has anyone had the need to remove and replace their transfer case. My Commander started to make a strange clicking noise from the front drive train the other weekend after doing a crazy rocky hill climb. When going down a very step hill in 1st gear low range there was a click, click, click noise or when on full lock in low it also made the same noise. Sounds typical of a damage CV but I change both with spare ones I have and the noise was still there. So I decided to drain the front diff to see if there was any metal flakes or bits that shouldn't be there. None, all was OK, then the Auto trans was drained - All OK, Transfer case - yes flakes of metal and very silvery fluid colour and this fluid was only changed 4 weeks previously. Then I found the real evidence, a broken tooth sitting on the edge of the filler hole shelf. Yep, the problem is a stuffed Transfer Case!

Can anyone help me with the process to remove it. I understand all the set up and basic removal of transmission cross member and the rear tail shaft etc its just the part on how extract the transfer case from the auto trans part I'm unsure of. Do I need special tools, pullers or separators or will the transfer case simply slip apart from the auto trans once the bolts are un done?

I hope someone can help, I'm looking forward to your reply
XH V6 3 liter diesel Commander: R/H steer, 2 1/2"OME rear lift, 3" front lift - Murchinson coils with steel spacers on top of struts, Bilsien shocks, Custom low profile transmission cross member, 32 1/2" rubber , Provent crank case filter, custom rockrails, Custom rear bar, Custom front bar with driving lights, aftermarket CD/Nav/DVD/Rear Cam system, Interior LEDs, HID lights

Last edited by multihull; 12-06-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

07JeepXK has/had the same problem and has replaced his. Im sure he will chime in any time now with advice!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Thanks, I was just quoted on a replacement 245J T/C this morning from a local Jeep recycler in Australia and the price tag is $2150, I nearly fainted. How much would you guys in the USA pay for one?
XH V6 3 liter diesel Commander: R/H steer, 2 1/2"OME rear lift, 3" front lift - Murchinson coils with steel spacers on top of struts, Bilsien shocks, Custom low profile transmission cross member, 32 1/2" rubber , Provent crank case filter, custom rockrails, Custom rear bar, Custom front bar with driving lights, aftermarket CD/Nav/DVD/Rear Cam system, Interior LEDs, HID lights
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

My used transfer case ran me $450. It's a fairly easy swap. Get the vehicle off the ground or at least the front as high up as you can get it. Take off the rear drive shaft. I always just take it completely out (meaning unbolt it from both the rear differential and the transfer case. Once that's out unbolt the front drive shaft from the transfer case. Use a jack stand or jack to support the weight of the transfer case and remove the transmission crossmember. Once that's out disconnect the wiring harness to the transfer case. Next support the transmission and remove the jack or jack stand supporting the transfer case. Lastly remove all the bolts holding the transfer case to transmission. I can usually get the transfer case out in less than an hour.

If you don't have the rear end off the ground you will need to put the jeep in neutral so that you can rotate the drive shafts to get to all the bolts.
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 AM

Thanks 07, It's now all done. I ended up finding a TC for $1600. The hardest part was trying to find the best tool set up for undoing the top couple of TC bolts. I ended up using socket extensions and a universal joint to an air tool. Is there a better tool or set up because there no room to make a racket handle work in that tight awkward space. While I had my 4 bash plates out I also changed the Transmission fluid and replaced the front sway bar bushes.
The car is so quiet now and drives so smoothly. I'm now ready for my 5,000 km holiday down south to the Victorian high country.
Thanks everyone for your help, the next step is to rebuild the old TC once I can find a place to buy a new Chain gear and bear kit. Can anyone point me to a supplier of cheap OEM Mopar TC parts?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 AM

The top bolts on the transfer case can be a pain due to the lack of room. I forgot to mention that. I just use a normal wrench up there that I cut in half and lower the jack that's supporting the transmission which helps give a little more clearance
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Yeh, there must be a special racket socket or tool for this type of job. I should search the internet for one and buy one cheap via Ebay for future tricky jobs.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM

Where to buy Ttansfer Case parts

I need to rebuild my old Transfer Case. I need at least one chain gear, a replacement chain and maybe a bearing kit.

Can anyone point me to a supplier of these parts?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM

I had trouble sourcing out parts. Have you tried searching the Internet?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 AM

Yep, I tried a few USA parts suppliers via Google searching, some stock the chain but I haven't found anyone who stocks the gears or bearing kit yet. I could possibly go to a Dealer but it would probably be cheaper buying another new transfer case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance