Keep or Sell.. questions on Warranty, Lift Kit, and more - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Points: 1,319, Level: 20 Points: 1,319, Level: 20 Points: 1,319, Level: 20
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to carb850 Send a message via Yahoo to carb850
Arrow Keep or Sell.. questions on Warranty, Lift Kit, and more

About a year and a half ago, my wife and I picked up a certified used '08 Commander Overland. This is her daily driver while I drive a performance oriented subcompact sporty car. Since then, we have had a child with another on the way. While we can get by in our current situation, more room is always useful and we are looking to get my wife a minivan. We are both on board with the Odyssey idea, the question comes in for what car will I drive. Will I keep my current ride, keep the Commander, or sell both and get me something different.

As mentioned above, we purchased the Commander as a certified used vehicle and we got an extended factory warranty that will take us until 2016. The first 6 months of ownership, we saw several electronic failures which were all covered minus copay. Since then, we haven't had any real issues other than little glitches. One day the remote start didn't work, several times the Navigation hangs and won't work until the truck is restarted, also a few times the memory on the power seats and mirrors didn't function. These are a little worrisome but we do have the extended warranty so we shouldn't be out much if one decides to fail completely.

Being an Overland, it is pretty much loaded. I love the intermediate size of the Commander, I like the off-road potential with the Quadra-Drive II, I also like the power of the Hemi. One thing I don't like is the stance. Dare I say it, I think it looks a little like a tall wagon more than a Jeep. If I decide to keep the Jeep as my daily driver I want to give it a more aggressive stance. The 2" (+/-) put the looks about were I want it, also I think the it won't mess with the driving dynamics much and will aid in any off-road work with a bit of extra ground clearance.

One of my big concerns is the factory warranty. I drive a Subaru and dealers are well known for wanting to void warranties for any modifications made. If I were to do a 2" lift and slightly bigger tires will I likely see any issues with being denied warranty work with most Jeep dealers? BTW, I'm vaguely familiar with the laws of what they can do legally but I don't want to be in a position were I need to fight them in court. Just wondering if most Jeep dealers are quick to show you the door on warranty work with any modifications made?

With the bigger tires, I suspect I will need to get a device to reprogram the computer such as the Superchips, so the speedo will read right. Can dealers tell if the Superchips has been used? Can you 'undo' the changes before dealership visits?

Like to hear thoughts on this plan. Am I missing anything or would you recommend other parts rather than the ones I listed?

Rocky Road 2.25" Lift Kit
2013 Rubicon Take off 17" Wheels
Spidertrax Spacers (not sure how wide)
255/70/17 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain TA
Superchips 3875
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Points: 7,898, Level: 59 Points: 7,898, Level: 59 Points: 7,898, Level: 59
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%

Actually, talking about Italy, if you modify any part of the car related with the mechanic and not (for sure if u change the color of the seat there is no problem) the dealer has the right to dont apply the warranty.
I know that cause a friend of mine changed the exhaust to brand new BMW and than he get a totally not related issue but the dealer said : SORRY NO WARRANTY COVER.

Btw you can delete the modifications restoring the original chip software, is like when u jailbreak an IPHONE, if u restore it there is no sign of it...
Present: 2007 Jeep Commander 3.0 L CRD - 2" lift kit - full led interior lights - 6000K HID low beam - 4500K HID fog lights - black HULK wheels - custom side exhaust system - DPF removed - matte black front grille (plastidip) - extra HP and torque chip tuning.
Previous: 2003 Jeep Cherokee/Liberty 2.8 L CRD - custom exhaust system - front bar protection - custom rear tail light - sold at 110.000 KM
Old 12-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Ask you local dealer to be on the safe side but your powertrain warranty will be voided. I think you will still be fine with interior electronics though.
Would you sell the Commander when the warranty is up anyway?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM

I'll probably pay a visit to the local Jeep dealer this week and have a talk with them. I'm assuming if I ask they will say 'no'. However I wonder if I just bring it in they may or may not pay attention to small lift. By asking, I will know for sure though. I did a little more research and others said if you can get a dealer to install then you should be covered. I might even try that angle.

As for selling it, we have only owned this Commander a little more than 1.5 years. In the first 6 months we had to replace the key, backup sensor, hvac flapper door, and center stack button panel (2x). Now since that time it has been golden but those initial issues were a concern coming from the cars we had previously gave us zero issues with a combined 11 years between them. I still like the Commander for the same things that initially attracted me to it, but if I find this 2" lift will kill the warranty we will probably sell it before too long.

If I find that I can do this 2" lift and stay safe with my warranty then the decision to sell after it expires will depend on what happens over the next 4 years.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Points: 3,560, Level: 37 Points: 3,560, Level: 37 Points: 3,560, Level: 37
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

I asked my dealer if my lift and larger tires will void the warranty and he said no. I've even had it in for warranty work and they didn't think twice about servicing the vehicle. If you do use a superchips they can tell that it was used and that may void a warranty. If all you want done is have the computer adjusted for the larger tires they can do that for you.

Physical things = no problem
computer things = problem
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

I have never heard of our local dealer denying the factory PT warranty on a lifted Jeep of any kind. Even if it is wheeled hard.

They were putting a tranny in a JK with 35's and stock gearing, under warranty, just the other day when I stopped by the parts department.

I too have my concerns about the electrical side of the XK. There seems to be little issues here and there that trouble me as a mechanic. I love the Jeep but if I can't fix something because i don't have the diagnostic/programming software then I don't want it. I'm selling mine and looking for an old mid 90's 2500 Suburban, i can fix anything on that beast!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM

I appreciate everyones comments, actually I'm starting to get a little bit of hope about this.

I have seen a few old threads were they paid the dealer $500 for the lift. At first I thought that was too much, but after thinking about it if that includes parts, keeps my warranty intact, includes alignment, and if they make the changes to the computer so the speedo still reads right then it becomes a bargain!

Our Jeep has power lift gate, backup sensors, automatic wipers, auto dimming headlights, heated seats, power seats, power mirrors, moon roof, navigation, remote start, rear air, locker diffs, etc, etc, etc. The shear number of systems on it that could fail makes the warranty very valuable to us. Actually I insisted on getting a certified used one just so we could get the factory extended warranty. With the 8yr 80K miles we purchased we will hit the time before the mileage.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27 Points: 2,080, Level: 27
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

You Americans are lucky I guess.
In Canada Chrysler must not give us any special treatment. I know a guy that works as a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer who bought a new Ram and lifted it (think about 5'). He had an engine problem and unfortunately told Chrysler about the lift thinking that it would only be an issue for suspension warranty work. They told him his engine warranty was no longer valid because of the lift and larger tires causing extra wear on the components.
Ridiculous but unfortunately true.

All the electronics in the Commander (or and new vehicle) make be worry too. I'm not one for switching Jeeps often though. I'm am also okay with gutting some of the "fancy" stuff though

Last edited by Eric S; 12-04-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 PM

I paid a trip to the local Jeep dealer with my lift question today. He told me they would not honor any warranty work at all if the Jeep has been lifted. I specifically asked for instance, if they would deny a claim on a window motor just because the of the lift, he said Yes. That burns my butt because it is just ridiculous, anyone with common sense would say that isn't a problem. So it sounds like they just want to be difficult.

The Magnuson-Moss Act is the one that protects consumers from actions like this but as I mentioned before, I have no interest in this fight. I plan on asking a couple other dealers a little further away. If they say the same, my options will be to go back to stock anytime I wanted dealer work or sell it. I don't care for either option.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Points: 913, Level: 16 Points: 913, Level: 16 Points: 913, Level: 16
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

I withstood the pressure from the Finance guy at our local Jeep dealer regarding an extended warranty. Found out the 'administrators' of said plans, like Automotive Warranty Services of Florida, and others, spend a lot time finding ways not to pay claims, I wouldn't spend any money on these plans.

Reading consumer complaints on the internet, tons of examples. Of course, you don't get any positive comments though to balance any of the negatives! But, one has to bring in their vehicle per the manufacturers requirements in order for these plans to actually pay. One guy brought in his car to replace the alternator. The warranty administrator wouldn't pay because guy didn't have his tranny fluid checked when he was supposed too. Can't make this BS up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion