Rain Sensing Wipers - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Points: 3,065, Level: 34 Points: 3,065, Level: 34 Points: 3,065, Level: 34
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rain Sensing Wipers

These work part of the time. What happens is the wiper goes all the way down then bounces back up about 2 inches from the down or home position and stop there. Once they bounce up like that the wipers never wipe again no matter how much rain is on the windshield or how much time goes by.

When the wipers do not bounce up and stop 2 inches from the bottom position, they always wipe again and work perfect. As soon as they bounce up and stop, they fail to work.

So, I let them bounce up and get stuck. I wait a while...no wipe so I push the wipers down to the home position and whamo they work again sensing the rain and wiping accordingly until they bounce up and stop again.

My question to the dealer was...does the motor communicate the wiper position to the computer by a limit switch or by some other means like a sensor in the motor housing. He said yes it does but he did not know if it was adjustable or if the contacts are accessable to be cleaned. Does anybody have any experience working with the wiper motor to know if the limit switch can be adjusted or cleaned?

The auto high beams always work flawlessly. I see posts where these two items are discussed together.

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps as I see others have issues with their auto wipers also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

I don't have the same issue as you but my RSW's sometimes will not come on when it starts raining. I have to click the wiper switch one way or another to get them to start(sometimes)

And why didn't they hook the rear wiper into the rain sensing system

A small annoyance compared to your issue.

My Automatic high beams work flawlessly except for sometimes the reflection from street signs will cause them to go back and forth from high to low. I have the self leveling HID's

My XK is an 09 Hemi Limited
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Points: 9,066, Level: 64 Points: 9,066, Level: 64 Points: 9,066, Level: 64
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

And why didn't they hook the rear wiper into the rain sensing system

If they would have made it a seperate option for those who want it, I would agree, but I do not want my rear wiper to come on every time it starts to rain.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Points: 1,954, Level: 26 Points: 1,954, Level: 26 Points: 1,954, Level: 26
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Just a kick and "me too." My wipers are doing the exact same thing and I was told that I needed a new wiper motor. I also came to that conclusion reading other posts on this board I plan on doing that as a DIY project in the next 2 or three weeks, but I will be watching this thread to see if there are other options. Wiper motors seem to be running about $75, but I will also need a small puller to remove the wiper arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion