Door Handle Fix, 1hr and $6.67 - Page 4 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Points: 2,035, Level: 27 Points: 2,035, Level: 27 Points: 2,035, Level: 27
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
My drivers side was cracked and about a dime sized portion where the screw is was completely broken off. After dissasembly I found that one side where the pin sits had broken off as well. I Crazy Glued everything back in place and then used JB Weld Kwik Plastic putty to reform the pin retainer and then worked it all around the recessed edge of the cup as well as almost all of the back of the cup for reinforcement. I was a little pressed for time and had to put the door back together before the full 2-3 hour cure time of the JB so I left the spring off as I didn't want to put any more pressure on the "new" pin retainer than I had to (and the handle was perfectly functional before the repair with no spring pressure). A day later and the handle is performing fine so far and there does not seem to be any need to reinstall the spring, the latch itself seems to pull the handle back to its' normal position just fine. I previously used the JB product to patch back together the rear hatch latch handle assembly and one of the park assist sensors which had broken off from the inside of the bumper and both fixes have held up so far (1 week). It's an unbelievable easy product to use.

I don't think the spring is needed. When I took the door
panel off, my spring wasn't install correctly, and worked
just fine.

1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4x4, 3" OME lift, 31" Destination M/T's, Quick discos, SYE hack and tap. (sold)

2014 MK (Patriot) Stock, 4wd Freedom Drive 1, 2.4L, 6-Speed auto, the gas getter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Points: 3,173, Level: 34 Points: 3,173, Level: 34 Points: 3,173, Level: 34
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unfortunately, I will have to buy the kit in the near future. The passenger side that was completely broken (that I fixed above), is still doing fine. However, the driver side (that is noticed a crack in while doing the passenger side and added some glue to it to hopefully stop a problem before it started), has cracked and it quite noticeable.

Kinda crappy that our door panels are falling apart on $45k+ vehicles...but nothing I can do about it now except fix it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Points: 3,465, Level: 36 Points: 3,465, Level: 36 Points: 3,465, Level: 36
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

I am dreading this repair.

My drivers door handle has essentially been broken since the day I got it a few years ago. The 'cup' is shattered with only some of the pieces in known locations. Amazingly, we have been able to gingerly open the door each time, but I believe the pin is currently only held in place by one hinge.

I am going to need to do a major reconstruction.

[]||||||[]
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Points: 6,813, Level: 54 Points: 6,813, Level: 54 Points: 6,813, Level: 54
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post

Has anyone done this yet? I'm about to pull the trigger. Not sure about the color. My doors are a light grey and the handles in the pictures look a lot darker.
2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 Hemi, OME 2" HD Lift,Robby spacers,New and improved Jeepin by AL UCA,265/70/17 Fierce Attitude on XD Spy 17x8 with +18 offset,Magnaflow Cat Back,4xGaurd Matrix w/hoop,Mopar Chrome side steps, Chrome door handles,Chrome Fuel door,Chrome Jeep bug deflector,AVS window vents,Home made roof lightbar, 2009 Mygig with lockpick,Backup camera.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Points: 9,571, Level: 65 Points: 9,571, Level: 65 Points: 9,571, Level: 65
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Send a message via ICQ to XKJeep06 Send a message via AIM to XKJeep06
Who all have pics to share to Jeep about this problem? Also, commented on their FB page. Can you all view this, and are you able to comment?

Link: https://www.facebook.com/jeep/posts/173716959447924?comment_id=515994

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Points: 1,870, Level: 25 Points: 1,870, Level: 25 Points: 1,870, Level: 25
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-niceCommander View Post
Has anyone done this yet? I'm about to pull the trigger. Not sure about the color. My doors are a light grey and the handles in the pictures look a lot darker.
I have an 06 Limited with the tan/khaki color door trim. I ordered the Denlor repair kit for $69 and it arrived within 2 days. It came with a tan colored handle, so I planned on switching that out with my existing chrome handle.

Overall, this is an excellent product. The color is a bit darker, but I chalk that up to the fact that my panels have probably faded over the years. For the small circle that you see behind the handle, it is not really noticeable.

The hardest part about the install was switching out the tan handle with my chrome handle. The little spring that is part of the mechanism is very difficult to get back into the handle correctly. After struggling for 30 minutes with the new spring, I tried the old spring, which was a bit looser from years of use. It went in very quickly. The new one was just too tight to twist into the small area.

The rest of the install was very easy, from removing the panel (two screws), to removing the old broken handle housing (use a utility knife rather than drill), to installing the new housing (careful not to tighten screws too much, they may start to poke through the panel), and finally installing the panel back on the door.

Great product albeit a bit pricey!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Points: 3,613, Level: 37 Points: 3,613, Level: 37 Points: 3,613, Level: 37
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Is it a more sturdy piece than the original part? Ie. do you see your new ones breaking. Not sure if I want to replace or rebuild and strengthen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Points: 1,870, Level: 25 Points: 1,870, Level: 25 Points: 1,870, Level: 25
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhj View Post
Is it a more sturdy piece than the original part? Ie. do you see your new ones breaking. Not sure if I want to replace or rebuild and strengthen.

The replacement piece seems sturdy, but that may be because it is new. I could not believe how brittle the old parts were when I took it apart. I literally could break it apart with my fingers. Hopefully the denlor fix will last without becoming brittle. I just fear the other 3 handles are not far behind...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Points: 3,613, Level: 37 Points: 3,613, Level: 37 Points: 3,613, Level: 37
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I have one good handle left... Lol

Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

This sounds like a chronic issue on these cars and a serious safety risk if not working in the event someone needs to exit the vehicle quickly. I went to the NHTSA website and filed a complaint. Afterwards I did search for my year and it looks like others have done the same (I am pretty sure I would find the same thing for all model years if I took the time). I highly recommend going to the site and filing a complaint if you are having the same issue.

I am not one to do something like this but when all four of my door handles are doing the same thing, and it seems like a vast number of other owners are having the same issue then it should be reported and a fix by Jeep should be considered even if out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion