Dealer suggested service help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Points: 1,026, Level: 17 Points: 1,026, Level: 17 Points: 1,026, Level: 17
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dealer suggested service help

Hi, Last two times I took my 2010 Commander sport in for oil change, the dealer recommended these services be done:
Rear Diff service $145.00
Brake Flush $145.00
Fuel Induction service $145.00
Tune up $225.00
$660.00!!!
I have just over 81,000 miles on it. They say I need these services done to keep my warranty in good standing.
I do many repairs myself on my vehicles. I was already planning on changing the transfer case fluid (quite easy). I have done tune ups on my Subaru and Honda so I think I can do the Jeep also. Not so sure about the brake flush although I have changed brake pads and rotors before. I was looking at the rear diff and do not see any drain or fill plugs butt I did see a rubber plug looking thing on the back. Is this where you suck out the old oil and add new? I can't even see the front diff, there is a plastic shield under the motor area that I guess I need to remove to get to it?
Any advice on changing the fluid in the front and rear diffs and the brake flush would be greatly appreciated. I usually change plugs, wires, air filter on a tune up, anything else I am forgetting? Thanks, Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Points: 4,201, Level: 41 Points: 4,201, Level: 41 Points: 4,201, Level: 41

Check your owners manual, you only have to perform the services listed there to maintain your warranty. I have a 2010 as well and don’t believe Differential fluid changes are required unless the vehicle is used for frequent towing or as a taxi/delivery car. With that many miles though, I would definitely do it. The front pumpkin has a drain plug (have to take the shield off for access). The rear can only be drained by taking the cover off. You can also suck the fluid out through the fill hole (rubber plug), but that wont evacuate the differential completely. With your mileage, I would take the cover off, check the gears and clean the inside thoroughly. You don’t have to go to the dealer to get that done if you don’t want to do it on your own – take it to any transmission/differential shop (keep the receipt). If you have QDII, limit slip additive will be required. If not, just the fluid.
The transfer case should have been done by now I believe. Cant help much on the brake fluid. See what it says in the manual. Either way, changing it wont hurt. As they say it’s probably the most neglected fluid in a car. Again, don’t have to go to the dealer to get it done – any reputable shop will do. Just keep the receipts….
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Points: 8,952, Level: 63 Points: 8,952, Level: 63 Points: 8,952, Level: 63
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

QDII requirers differential service every 15K. You can get it done alot cheaper than 140 per, just get the friction inhibitor from the dealer as that is the only place to buy it.About $5.00 a bottle.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Points: 4,201, Level: 41 Points: 4,201, Level: 41 Points: 4,201, Level: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
QDII requirers differential service every 15K. You can get it done alot cheaper than 140 per, just get the friction inhibitor from the dealer as that is the only place to buy it.About $5.00 a bottle.
He's got a 2010. According to the manual a fluid change is required at 18K only if the car is frequently used for towing or as a taxi/delivery vehicle. Also, non-mopar friction modifier can be used as well. Amsoil sells it as well as most auto parts stores. Fluids like Mobil 1, Amsoil and Royal Purple (I believe) already come with friction modifier, so additional modifier should not be required, unless there is gear chatter.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Points: 1,026, Level: 17 Points: 1,026, Level: 17 Points: 1,026, Level: 17

I bought all the needed fluids and RTV at the dealer for about $80.00. I just performed the maintenance this past weekend at 95820 miles. The transfer fluid was pretty easy, the front diff was a little harder to get to and the rear was the most difficult because I had to take the cover off. I inspected the gears and cleaned the old gasket off. I also removed the fine metal bits off of the magnet. All in all it was not too difficult. I will post some pictures soon. I did not do the brake fluid yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
brake flush, dealer service, tune up