06 4.7 Multiple Cyclinder Failure - Please Help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

06 4.7 Multiple Cyclinder Failure - Please Help

I am writing this in desperation. I have a 4.7 2006 and the engine radiator fluid had leaked out. When the cluster came on I pulled over and had towed into a repair shop. The radiator was replaced. The vehicle was returned with a DO NOT DRIVE wrote on the window. Engine would barley run!! This vehicle was driven off of the wreck without any issues. Mechanic said the engine would not work now. Said Multiple Cylinder Failure. I have recieved a quote from a repair man and he is stating that the engine needs a valve job.

I need help. This doesn't seem right. Why would this happen and what would be the best way to fix this.

Thank you in advanced for your support and help.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackman View Post
Why would this happen...
Because your coolant leaked out. Do you know where the leak was ?
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 PM

I understand that the coolant leaked out. My question, to clarify, was why would that valves need to be replaced.

The coolant leak was at the lowest point the in radiator, and also, the inter-cooler for the compressor was also damaged.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100

Quote:
...why would that valves need to be replaced.
Heat damage ?
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM

I am having a hard time locating a replacement engine with decent miles on it. Can or is it cost effective for me to buy new heads and valves and just get the engine rebuilt? (Part links, etc.. Would be appreciated )
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Points: 3,412, Level: 36 Points: 3,412, Level: 36 Points: 3,412, Level: 36
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

One member actually upgrade to a 6.1L. I recommend looking that up in the search, even if just for interest's sake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Points: 2,073, Level: 27 Points: 2,073, Level: 27 Points: 2,073, Level: 27
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Send a message via Yahoo to JBenn911
Quote:
I understand that the coolant leaked out. My question, to clarify, was why would that valves need to be replaced.

The coolant leak was at the lowest point the in radiator, and also, the inter-cooler for the compressor was also damaged.
Might be time for a second opinion...especially if he told you that the intercooler was damaged...intercoolers are typically reserved for force fed engines .. Unless he meant some other cooler was damaged... I would also guess that if engine got hot enough to smoke your valves, you will have a lot of other damage(s)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

The heads on these engines are aluminum. My Jeep lost coolant and got a little warm, the light never came on. I found that I had lower compression on one cylinder when I did a compression check. I pulled the head and noticed that those valves were white in color, while the rest were not. I took the head to be checked over for cracks and general condition. All the valves needed replaced in my case and the cylinder head also needed to be resurfaced to make the mating side flat. The head work cost me about $175 from a local guy that had a good reputation from some local hot-rodders and race car guys.

Given that your engine got hot enough to make the light come on, your engine most likely suffered much more damage. There are things to have done to help diagnose the condition of the engine internally. Ask for a cylinder compression test and ask for the numbers. You should get a number for each cylinder. You might even ask for a "dry" and a "wet" cylinder compression test. In that case you get two sets of numbers. Usually the wet numbers will be a little higher.

The water pumps on these engines seem to fail often. I just noticed that mine needs replaced again. I have read that the water pumps sold at some autoparts stores (sorry if I offend any members here) might not be built to the standards that the Mopar water pumps are built to. My water pump was bought from a chain autoparts store and is leaking again after roughly 2 years.

In the end, if you aren't comfortable with this mechanic, get a second opinion. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenn911 View Post
Might be time for a second opinion...especially if he told you that the intercooler was damaged...intercoolers are typically reserved for force fed engines .. Unless he meant some other cooler was damaged... I would also guess that if engine got hot enough to smoke your valves, you will have a lot of other damage(s)
I agree, I was questioning this as well when I read it. An intercooler cools down the compressed air from either a turbo or supercharger (blower). Compressing air heats it up which is bad for performance, economy, and emissions. Cooling down the compressed air gives you the all the positives of compressing the intake air without the negatives from it.

Either way, unless you have one of the highest horsepower Commanders in the world, you most likely don't have an intercooler on your Jeep.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:

There is no intercooler on the Commander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
engine coolant, failure, rebuild, support, valve