07 Commander bogging down on hill - Page 2 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The good thing is that's is getting worse and they may be able to make it happen.. Tranny is messed up, who knows whats wrong with it, Could be TC, could be firmware, only they can figure it out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Points: 1,166, Level: 18 Points: 1,166, Level: 18 Points: 1,166, Level: 18
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

The fact that your fix is to release the gas, which is a method to disengage the torque converter and then press it again which gives you a little push in speed, until it locks up again. Im thinking fluid levels maybe, so the hill makes the fluid push to the back of the tranny, which affects the torque converter to engage causing bog. I noticed our converters tend to engage quite early. Also the fact its clunking says low fluid, when the pressure builds up enough, it just drops final gear in, at about 55...
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Fluid levels have been checked. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Commander. I seem to remember hearing someone mentioning the problem that occurs at 35 to 40 mph. Has to be transmission. Does the computer throw any kind of code when the transmission is messing up?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondering View Post
Fluid levels have been checked. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Commander. I seem to remember hearing someone mentioning the problem that occurs at 35 to 40 mph. Has to be transmission. Does the computer throw any kind of code when the transmission is messing up?
Possible faulty tcm, which would control the TQ lockup. is there any difference with Tow haul engaged?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Is the transmission work covered under the extended powertrain warranty? And does the computer throw any codes when it is a transmission problem?

I have found that when I go up my hill from the right it always happens. I can pull into my neighbor and turn around, go up the hill entering from the left and it goes up the hill fine.

Remember here I am a woman and have no clue what the TCM is. English please.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

I just discovered this thread.

The XK's ESP system is a drive by wire. A long time ago, I found that what feels like a completely gutless rig when driving on soft sand is just the ESP system taking away your throttle. It's IMPOSSIBLE to blast up a dune with the ESP system on because it will "run out of power" because the computer "thinks" the Jeep is bouncing around too much and is going to tip over or the like. You would swear for all the world that your Jeep has the power of a lawn mower engine under the hood.

You might try this: turn off the ESP system with a long press of the ESP/traction control button. You have to hold the thing for at least 20 seconds while driving slow, or parked. Finally, the dash display will say "ESP system disabled" and you then have whatever power you want feeding to the engine via the pedal. Full throttle sand plumes from your tires now works, and you can blast up steep dunes. If that cures it, then the G-force sensor or related circuits is shutting you down. (Removing your throttle input) The ECM might think your hill is too steep, or the Jeep is leaning when it's not.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondering View Post

Remember here I am a woman and have no clue what the TCM is. English please.
My apologies. The TCM is the Transmission Control Module. and yes, more often than not it will throw on the check engine light and a code.

Adondo
Valid point on the Esp system but wouldnt the traction light come on when its being engaged? A lot of the time mine tries to control the roll condition with wheel braking and then if i really push her she throttles back.

It also would not surprise me if her wheel input sensor needed to be calibrated, if its off to one side than it could also engage the esp.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

The traction light comes on when a tire is slipping. You can usually hear a buzzing sound as well, which is a rapid brake pulse to control the wheel spin.

When the ESP system is off, you have full control of the Jeep. You risk rolling it if taking hard turns and the like, but that's the way it is.

ESP = Electronic Stability Program
ECM = Engine Control Module
TCM = Transmission Control Module
BCM = Body Control module. (Controls lighting, dome light timing, etc. etc.)

If a wheel speed sensor fails, (Happened to me a couple months ago) you get warnings such as SERVICE 4x4 SYSTEM on the display, and maybe the ABS warning light.

If your ESP system "thinks" the Jeep is getting unstable, it will remove throttle from you, but probably won't display anything. That's why I said to hold in the button until it's disabled, then try your problem hill.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Im sorry i meant the Steering wheel input sensor., the speed sensor could do it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service