Jeep Commander Forum banner

Front Sway Bar Bushings Size.

40K views 79 replies 21 participants last post by  ARJeeper 
#1 ·
I've looked around for a bit, and cannot find the size of the sway bar bushings. I tried to eye-ball the size, some reason I cant find my mic. But for a 06 Limited Hemi, will it be the 33mm or 30mm sway bar.

#2 ·
Don't know what was OEM, nor if the sway bars varied because of suspension options or weight distribution, I'd just measure it and get the right size bushing.

Put a big adjustable wrench on the bar, both side touching the bar, then measure the distance inbetween.

Wrap a tape measure around the bar and measure its circumference and then divide by 3.14, to convert inches to mm, multiple by 25.4.

Wrap a string around the bar, mark a line on the overlap, measure the distance between the lines and then divide by 3.14, to convert inches to mm, multiple by 25.4.

#3 ·
I did the wrench method. I only have a typographic ruler with small enough readings to be accurate. I measured in 2 places across the front of the sway bar. I got 96 points on both. Converts to 33.8mm. I'm assuming that's close enough to 33.

#4 ·
Found my MIC measured it at 33.8 MM. So figure the 33 MM bushings will work.

#5 ·
Gotta love it, went to advance auto, they didn't stock them. So I headed up to Auto Zone. Guy behind the counter, mid 50's seems to know his stuff. Me, "need sway bar bushings for a 06 Commander Limited, 5.7 4x4." Looks for a minute. His response, " sir they do not have sway bar bushings on that vehicle." "oh you dont stock them" "no sir the vehicle is not equipped with a sway bar, therefor, there are no bushings" "really...., thanks for your time bud"

Went to Murrays, picked them up, should be in tomorrow.

#7 ·
#9 ·
I don't see on that Moog link where it says its poly...might want to contact them Bobula. If you find out let us all know, I'd like to do poly sway bushings too.

#10 ·
I have "read" Thermo Plastic bushings are harder and last longer than poly. The ones I have gotten (for other vehicles) seem to be the case. NAPA sells thermo plastic sway bar bushings for most vehicles, though I looked them up for the Commander and they carry them.

#11 ·
Mongo...wouldn't happen to remember prices of them would ya? Maybe toss up a link to them. Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178283
I have read the thermoplastic bushings are even firmer than the polyurethane. I know NAPA carries thermoplastic for some vehicles, don't know about the commander. The thermoplastic is usually bright blue.

[EDIT]
Just checked NAPAOnline.com;

$21.49
I remember there being some discussion about there being 2 different bushings and mounts for them, I guess it was a supplier issue. No advantage to one or the other, you just have to make you get the right bushing according to the mount you have. I guess one had the ridge down the center and the other was smooth down the center.

#15 ·
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178283

I remember there being some discussion about there being 2 different bushings and mounts for them, I guess it was a supplier issue. No advantage to one or the other, you just have to make you get the right bushing according to the mount you have. I guess one had the ridge down the center and the other was smooth down the center.
Just found them. Looks like price is per not a pair. And they only currently carry the ones for the front sway bar. If anybody else is interested in this upgrade (I am because of most of my driving is short around town trips so this upgrade appeals to me) I'll post the link directly to the catalog number for these. They show 1.34" on the diameter for these, I check a conversion calculator and that puts it at 34.036 mm, so my '08 front sway must be the larger one for these to fit. I'm assuming that all of the V8's may have the 3 mm larger sway but that's only an assumption.
Sway Bar Bushing - Front Susp

#13 ·
I'll check NAPA website online...for less than $50 you could do all 4 corners of the front/rear sways....thats a pretty decent price. Seems like that is roughly what I paid for the ones I put on my '85 Mustang a long time ago (poly) so its good to hear that inflation hasn't really affected this stuff to bad.

#14 ·
I'll check NAPA website online...for less than $50 you could do all 4 corners of the front/rear sways....thats a pretty decent price. Seems like that is roughly what I paid for the ones I put on my '85 Mustang a long time ago (poly) so its good to hear that inflation hasn't really affected this stuff to bad.
Don't be surprised if they don't carry the rear, my other vehicles I had to go to the dealer for rear bushings, seems they rarely wear out while the front do, and thus NOT much of a market for rear bushings.

#17 ·
It was the link I bookmarked when I found the the page with all the specs concerning the front sways on NAPA's site. Works for me, maybe because I am the one that searched it vehicle specific for an '08 jeep commander? It is what it is....works for me. If anyone is curious, I just started at NAPA.com and searched my model/model year, then in the search bar typed in sway bar bushing and it took me right to the page for the front sway bar bushings. Blue in color, just like Mongo's pics. :)

#18 ·
It was the link I bookmarked when I found the the page with all the specs concerning the front sways on NAPA's site. Works for me, maybe because I am the one that searched it vehicle specific for an '08 jeep commander? It is what it is....works for me. If anyone is curious, I just started at NAPA.com and searched my model/model year, then in the search bar typed in sway bar bushing and it took me right to the page for the front sway bar bushings. Blue in color, just like Mongo's pics. :)
Which are the same ones that I gave you the link to way back in post #7.:stickpoke:

#19 ·
Jeep5253...yep they are, just went to the website to double check and find out details on specs. Found out size (34 mm) and price from Mongo's post was per piece, so approx. $45 to get both for the front. Thanks again for the earlier help.

#21 ·
Bobula...my tail chasing actually allowed me to find out 2 things...one, the larger bushings are actually 34 mm not 33 mm like spoke of before (assuming the larger ones are for us guys with the V8 Commanders, but that's only an assumption) & secondly...the price is per piece not a set. Still at $45 thats a pretty inexpensive way to firm up your ride. PS...love the gif animation

#24 ·
Bobula the NAPA bushings are: 34.036 mm. Seems like they would fit.

#25 ·
Anyone care to post a detailed photo walk-through on how to swap the bushings out?? I realize it's probably not too difficult, but I need mine changed out bad and it'd be nice to have a little bit of a guide to make sure I have all the tools necessary and not mess anything up. Thanks in advance.

#27 ·
If you know what and where the sway bar is - just lay down under the front of the Jeep and find the Brackets shown above. Get a 13/16 socket and unbolt them. that's about it. the bushings are split so you can just pull them off.

#26 ·
Just picked them up at Murrays/O'reillys for $19.95 plus tax. Two in a set and they are the bule ones, don't know if there poly or what.

#29 ·
I got a set of blue ones from raybestos , I think they are thermoplastic ,The ride is much firmer and they were only $15 each . When you get them you might think you got the wrong ones because they look alot smaller then the OE but its only because they dont have that huge lip on the outer edges .

#30 ·
Jasmat have you installed them? If so...how much difference did it make in your ride quality around town? Over train tracks?

#32 ·
Not Jeep related at all, but reminds me of the '85 Mustang GT build I did years ago. Tokiko/Eibach lowered w/ all poly at the struts and sways...I had to slow down to near zero to go over train tracks in town or it would jar my teeth. I like a firm suspension feel, so I think I'm gonna follow some of you guys lead on this and do my sways w/ these blue bushings too. Thanks for the info!

#34 ·
Bobula they are: Raybestos - 5501589 I just looked them up because I am buying a pair too!

#39 ·
I'll put it this way. It should take 15 minutes. It's only 4 bolts. Just do one side at a time and make sure you start the threads by hand to avoid cross-threading. If you take them both off, you may have to push up on the sway bar to get the holes to line up perfectly.

#41 ·
Yes, I have the larger sway bar and the humps match up correctly.

What Commander do you have? Is it possible you have the smaller sway bar which has a flat bracket? I'm not sure what the smaller one looks like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.