Jeep Commander Forum banner

Possible solution for intermittent starting problems!

51K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  PleaseStart 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: ... turns out this was just coincidence ... see my post at the end

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started a new thread on this to see if anyone else can duplicate my solution to the intermittent starting problem.

I'm off warranty so there's no running to the dealer every time it won't start.

My problem has been the same as others except I've always manged to get it started every time by boosting or just trying the key 25 times.

OK I am NOT kidding ... if I leave the dash FAN switch ON overnight or even for an hour or two the Jeep will NOT start when we get back ...

If I shut the FAN dash switch OFF while the Jeep is running and then shut off the Jeep it WILL start when we get back.

It's not verbatim of course .. but I've been testing it for a month now and it's well over 80% (close to 90%)

For the last week (probably 30 or 40 starts) we have not had ANY starting problems and we have shut off the fan every time before we shut off the Jeep.

My theory as to possibly WHY at this works is simple .. the starting problem for what ever reason seems to be voltage sensitive.

Once the battery drops below a certain voltage the Jeep won't start easily ... The fan switch controls the fan of course, but also a HOST of air gates, valves and switches (listen sometime when you turn it on and off) ... when it's left on the system is sucking down the battery.

Am I correct??? I do not know for sure ... but that's my opinion ... try it and report back :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I have noticed if I sit in the Jeep for a few minutes after shutting it off, that there will be some little motors or something run. I have assumed the sound was coming from changing the vent/heat openings.

But so far for me, the only time it didn't start was when I left the key in the ON position without it running for a couple of hours. My recollection is that I went to get something out of the Jeep and put the key in the ON position to move the seat back and then forgot to take the key out.

#3 ·
Do you take your keys out at night?:icon_confused: This exact thing has happened to me twice, but both times I left the key in, but did not relalize that I turned the key only to ACC on not off. If the key is at ACC, you can't pull it out. Jeep was in the garage, parked overnight. The first time it happened, I had it towed in under warranty. The second time I just jump started - only took 5 minutes to start. Now I just take the keys out every night. I never turn the fan completely off - it's always on the slowest speed.:eek:rangehat:

#4 ·
Not sure who your question was directed to, me or Yeggster. But I take my key out at night. I just left in that one time for a couple of hours in the ON position.

#6 ·
So far I have had only ONE incident of non starting since keeping up with the FAN-OFF drill ... and that time I shut the fan of AFTER I shut the Jeep off.

Possible fly in the ointment is winter set in just after I cam up with this theory ...

... I'm re-reading other threads and the 'corroded-connector-theory' seems more plausible then mine .. it's possible the winter weather here is thowing enough snow up on my 'connector area' to keep it "washed clean" enough, that, THAT is the solution?

Don't know .. but will see how it goes and keep everyone posted.

#7 ·
I feel now the OP solution I posted was just a coincidence .. maybe the voltage sensitive angle made a little difference but it's defiantly no real solution ... the Commander got bad enough it would not start for 10 or 15 minutes of trying and we were even avoiding using it.

What I ended up doing was reading all the old posts and found this one

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11029

and this one

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5647

On page 4 with pictures

It's so darn cold here I didn't want to mess with any wires while I could still start the Jeep ... but now I had no choice ..

So I studied the threads and reach down as far as I could on the wire bundle (it's right near the oil dipstick) and PUSHED on it just with medium to light force while my wife tried the key and sure enough it started RIGHT up EVERY TIME.

She took the Jeep to work today but this weekend I am going to have a better look at it and see if I can isolate that exact wire and fix it permenantly .. and will report back

#8 ·
Good find Yeggster. These intermittent problems drive people crazy.

#9 ·
I have not had time to take apart the wiring and fix it properly ... so I was experimenting on how much the wiring harness needed to be pushed over to get it to start and it was not very much.

One morning this week I was leaving early and the Commander would NOT start on it's own ... I got the idea to put something against the wire temporarily so i could start is and found a tuna can in the recycle box.

Well days later it's still there and the Commander starts EVERY time now :) .. I still will fix it permanently as I don't imagine the tuna can is good up against the steel pipe for any long period of time... but so far so good :)

Attachments

#11 ·
That's not a very cool nick name :)

I might bring it to my local mechanic to fix the wire ... if so I can't wait to walk in and let him I need the Jeep's "tuna can" pulled out, he might think it's slang for a new mod of some kind :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.