Jeep Commander Forum banner

Service Four Wheel Drive message.

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  earyck790 
#1 ·
This weekend, I changed the front & rear axle fluid and the transfer case fluid. This morning, I tried to get into low four wheel drive, and the 'Service Four Wheel Drive' message came on and it won't go into low 4-WD.

This is a 2006 Commander with 4.7 V-8 engine. It has 49,000 miles on it.

I installed two quarts of NV-245 fluid into the transfer case. The rear end took about 2 quarts of fluid, and front axle a little over a quart to fill.

What could have happened by just changing fluids to have this happen? This is the second time I've changed these fluids.

Please advise....

Frank.

#2 ·
Well, two questions...

1. Did you check and know for sure the 4lo was working before your oil change?
  2. Have you had the N23 recall done recently? (You may not event be aware it was done if it was at the dealership in the past year.)

#3 ·
OK, well, I think I have a clue what is wrong. Found the N23 recall threads, and this sounds like the problem. Have a Saturday morning appt set up. Sounds like they've heard this story before. Hopefully they can fix it. Sounds like every Commander and Grand Cherokee owner is affected. Chrysler tried the cheap fix, and it opened a can of worms. Well see how this goes.....

#4 ·
The front should have been more then just over a quart of gear oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.