Jeep Commander Forum banner

Air/Tex Coils

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mongo 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am new to the board. I have an 06 Commander (completely stock). It has 116K miles on it. Me and my wife are getting to take a 4000+ mile trip from TX to SD, MT and back to TX. I do not believe the previous owner ever changed plugs or coils. I was looking at Rock Auto web site and found these coils https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5538675&cc=1432220
has anyone had ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 ·
Ummm, Coils do NOT wear out, plugs do wear out and so do the spark plug wires.

Of course like any part on the vehicle, they are subject to failure, but if you don't have any symptoms of a failure or an inspection doesn't show any signs of impending failure (like cracks, carbon tracks, etc) then you are wasting your money replacing coils.

The boots are subject to wearing out, but you don't have to get a new coil to replace the boots, as well, inspect them, my boots look just great after 107k miles.

One exception is the "suppressive" spark plug wires they do NOT wear out. The "resistive" spark plug wires do, and most cars and most aftermarket replacement spark plug wires are the "resistive" type. I did have an '02 Dodge Grand Carvan that the OEM spark plug wires had the words "suppressive" printed on them, so I never replaced them and never suffered any ill effects of worn out spark plug wires.

Finally, Air Tex is JUNK! Do NOT buy anything made by Air Tex, there stuff is bottom shelf, low quality and fails far earlier than most brands. Do a google search, you'll forum post after forum post of people that replaced parts with Air Tex and are complaining the part failed within several thousand miles. I replaced a timing belt on Chrysler 2.0L I4, that the water pump was a cog in the timing belt, i.e. if the water pump failed it would cause the timing belt to fail and I would have piston/valve contact. The OEM pump was still fine at 176k miles, but I figured it would be smart to replace it with a brand new pump since that part was so critical. Rock Auto was out of the high quality brands and offered me an Air Tex instead, I figured it was new, NOT a rebuild, so it should be fine. That Air Tex water pump failed within 40k miles and took my engine with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.