Jeep Commander Forum banner

Maintenance 101: How to change your transmission fluid and filters

80K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  jayjayjeep 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanks for the tips!

#6 · (Edited)
I just ordered the parts to do it myself. Its not so expensive to let the dealers do this but I have to wait for a day.
Thanks for helpful info.

Hasting TF175 kit for my JC, 2006 limited Hemi available from Amazon but do not believe that this is not for the JC 2006 Hemi since Allpar (Mopar) says this is compatible.

#7 ·
I enjoyed your video's. Thanks for posting them. But I'll continue to have the dealer do this for me. Good job.

#9 ·
I wouldn't ever take my Commander to a place like AAMCO. I might take it to the dealership but even then, especially on the transmission, I like to do it myself because it gives me the opportunity to take a look at the magnet. You want to see fine ground metal, almost like pepper. You don't want to see silver shavings.

Some comments on the videos: I know sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and if you have to use a screw driver then you have to use it to get the pan off, but I wouldn't bang it in there with a hammer like that, you'll wind up gouging the mating surface of the transmission which is aluminum and causing a leak.

Also, it's pretty half [removed] to leave the old seal in the transmission. If you're doing it for yourself that's fine, but if you want to make a DIY video it should be done right.

Also, the manual will typically tell you to loosen all of the bolts a certain amount, and then to loosen the bolts towards the back more so that the oil can come out, I wouldn't remove them all and leave two or three holding the pan in.

#10 ·
I wouldn't ever take my Commander to a place like AAMCO. I might take it to the dealership but even then, especially on the transmission, I like to do it myself because it gives me the opportunity to take a look at the magnet.
What bad experience(s) have you had with AAMCO? Seems to me it would be a fine choice considering it is what they specialize in.

Maybe some dealers are fine, depends on the relationship you develop I suppose. I recently had a poor experience with an alignment job at a Jeep dealer...the before after spec printout wasn't completed properly and the service lady was telling me some things I knew weren't true. I'm not sure they did a thing other than swipe my credit card, to be honest.

I agree to make 100% sure it is done correctly and to your complete satisfaction, DIY. It is just too bad one bad dealer experience puts a sour taste in your mouth for so long. Some dealers do a fine job.

#11 ·
I'll do you all one better:
1. Tell the dealer you have a sound like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle tire.
2. When they can't isolate the noise, dealer will remove transmission, totally disassemble, inspect for broken/warn parts, reassemble with new fluids and filters. This step alone will assure you that the torque converter has been completely drained!:eyemouth:
3. This will not cost you a dime, and while the dealer continues to attempt to isolate the noise, you get a new Hyundai to drive for free.
4. Granted, you are without the Jeep for a couple of weeks, but what can be better than FREE?:eek:rangehat:

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for spending the time to show the entire procedure.

After watching your videos I reminded myself why I use the method I call "Watch it yourself as someone else does it for you". (WIYASEDIFY, sounds like something that George Bush would say).

I have a very good working relationship with a small local exhaust shop. The fellows there have all the tools and especially important they have lifts to do most any job for me. I tip them well and they do not mind my being there as they do work for me. Many shops would not want you to watch. That is why I use these guys for maintenance.

I like to make sure that not only is it done correctly, but that I can watch and catch any signs or problems at the same time as the shop does. It also allows me to make any modifications or improvements to the maintenance procedures on the spot.

I do want to stress that you do need to be tactfull in suggesting different ways of doing things. "Hey Dummy don't do it that way" definitely does not works as well as "I have a idea about doing it a little differently".

A good example of this method is that when we changed all the fluids over to synthetic, we also added a drain for the transmission pan and a temperature sensor in place of the plug. My method incorporates the best of both the DIY inspection and assurance of doing it right and the ease of watching someone else get fluid all over them and do the work. I am not trying to hijack this thread so I will post a link to the procedure on adding a drain plug.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5253

Reactions: MatthewD
#16 ·
I called the dealer a few weeks ago to get a price quote for both filters and the fluid. I asked if the sold a gasket for the tranny pan and they said that it should have a reusable gasket. Is it possible that in 07 they put a reusable gasket in there or did I get some bad info from the dealer?

#17 ·
There is no gasket ,, just RTV sealant ,, same as the rear diff cover.

#19 ·
Thought I would post to this thread a situation I just went through. Decided it was time for a transmission service (65,000kms) on my wife's '06 5.7L. I operate a repair shop and used the WIX 58843 filter kit whick includes both filters. Refilled with the same Mopar +4 fluid.

For the next several weeks the truck began stalling intermittently at idle, a hard shut down. Also an intermittent clunk on accell. from a stop. My ear was ringing if you know what I mean.

I'm aware of the issue with cracked filter inlet tubes on this transmission (454RFE) that could affect transmission oil pressure resulting in an engine stall. I was now hoping it was simply a damaged fiter on installation.

This time I used both Mopar filters and the problem is gone. Close inspection of the WIX showed no damage or cracks. I can only assume that the WIX filters (either the valve body or the spin on) use too dense of a filter paper resulting in fluid starvation to the pump.

#20 ·
I replaced both filters and fluid not long after that last post of mine and havent had any issues. I too used Mopar products.

Also the tranny is a 545RFE.

#21 ·
Cool videos. Thanks for posting them. I think I may just have a go at this meself. Hey, while I'm here, does anyone have any input on tranny flushes? My local car wash has a Pennzoil quick-change co-located and the mechanic I spoke with recommended it for trannys over 60k mi. I just got my '06 with 64k on her and I don't know how well maintained she was. The tranny oil in her right now is clear (pink and free of floaters) and doesn't stink. Cheers.

#22 ·
Cool videos. Thanks for posting them. I think I may just have a go at this meself. Hey, while I'm here, does anyone have any input on tranny flushes? My local car wash has a Pennzoil quick-change co-located and the mechanic I spoke with recommended it for trannys over 60k mi. I just got my '06 with 64k on her and I don't know how well maintained she was. The tranny oil in her right now is clear (pink and free of floaters) and doesn't stink. Cheers.
Chysler recommends that you don't flush the transmission. A member here recently had his transmission serviced and the dealer flushed it and now he is having problems. Post up some pics of your new ride for us.

#31 · (Edited)
I'm really glad this forum is here. I was unaware of the transmission flush issues before reading about them here.

This morning I decided to head to the local shop I usually have do maintenance out of convenience and mentioned that I'm knocking out my 30k service a bit early (mainly didn't feel like messing up the garage floor with the tranny and risk screwing up the rtv gasket). First words out of his mouth were, "well, we offer a flush and recommend a fuel injector cleaning..." and I cut him off with, "you don't flush chrysler's...or most brands for that matter, can you just drop the pan, replace the filters, and refill? As for the injectors - there's nothing you can do that will work as good as the seafoam i shot through it last week combined with the ridiculous amount of detergents and scrubbers in gas and oil these days without tearing the engine apart" He gave me the most cross-eyed look and said, "you want to replace the filters?"

I turned around and walked out while muttering, "you wanna flush my system, catching everything in the filters, and then not replace them! - or worse yet, flush it in reverse dumping everything from my filters back into my tranny!?"...drove to the nearest autozone and picked up a filter pack and some RTV as I just gave away the last of my good ol' dragon's blood - then off to an O'reilly to find enough quantity of synthetic ATF+4. Looks like I'll be doing this one myself.

The best part...two other people walked out right behind me that were waiting in line. Downside...only dealer in town with the silentarmor tires i want...but at 1200 for the set with plenty of tread left on my oem fortera hl's, think I'm gonna have to wait on a serious sale before going back.

Reactions: MatthewD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.