Jeep Commander Forum banner

Changed Plugs-why some wet and some dry?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  AJfixit 
#1 ·
I finally got around to changing the plugs the other day in my 2006 Commander with 5.7 Hemi.

Overall, not that bad, just time consuming.

I kept all the plugs on a cardboard so I know which Cylinder they came from.

I noticed some were wet with oil and some dry as a bone.

Can anyone tell me what this means, if anything?

thanks

#2 ·
First thing, is it oil or gas, means a lot. Some wetness from gas can just be when the motor stopped on the intake-compression strokes before the spark occured leaving them wet. If it was gas then it will evaporate rather quickly - if oil it will stay wet. Put a match to it right after removing to see it it is gas - should give a small burst of flame. Also oil probably would mean leaking rings or valve guides and you would be seeing smoke out the exhaust and oil level going down. You probably just have some gas on them as explained in the beginning.

#5 ·
I got hung up changing spark plugs due to lack of knuckle adapter And loss of daylight. I had some oil on some of my spark plugs.
On the passenger side cylinder closest to the firewall and closest to the fan. I wouldn't have even really thought anything of it if the rest weren't so bone dry. Does this have anything to do with the mds in the 5.7's or am i looking at piston rings and compression tests in the next few oil changes?

Front cylinder driver side looked good, I'll see the last 6 plugs tomorrow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
Plugs on the passenger side front is 2, rear is 8. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 so 2 and 8 are nearly the same place in the intake stroke so if stopped in intake could be wet, as well as #1, the front one on drivers side.

#7 ·
If you have a serious problem, then you motor would be consuming a noticeable amount of oil. As well, the spark plugs would be caked, gooey, covered heavily and all black.

If it was just a light coat of oil or just fairly normal looking but wet, I'd suspect some fuel or normal amount of oil that might pool/drip through an open valve on shutdown.

#9 · (Edited)
It was definitely oil but very very little. Now for the rad or transmission leak that has started seemingly in the last 48hrs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Fairly clean oil, like right out of the pan? OR black, cooked, gooey oil?

Someone already mentioned some of the valves will be open on shutdown, some oil can be sucked into the intake manifold or even drip from the valve stems and drip into the cylinder and on the plugs. Might want to check your PCV valve, a dirty/bad one can get more oil into the intake manifold.

If you've got blowby getting oil in the cylinders, the oil would be burnt, the plugs would look like a gooey burnt but wet black mess (and you'd notice your motor consuming oil).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.