Jeep Commander Forum banner

P0507, new IAC, now P0506

14K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nazdackster 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

My wife's Commander (2007, 4.7l) had a CEL on so she took it to her mechanic. He cleaned the throttle out, then called and told us that there was some conflict in the error codes--and it was suddenly idling very fast, with a new P0507--and that she ought to take it to a dealer to have them reflash the computer to perhaps rectify the (idle/conflict) problems. The dealer decided that it needed a new IAC and clockspring. I installed a new IAC myself. I'm not particularly adept at this, but it seemed like a simple enough job. Now it is idling somewhat slow (about 500) and we get a P0506.

Perhaps I erred somewhere in the install? Is there something I should check in particular. (I will say that the old IAC came right out, but the new one didn't seat all the way in until I fully tightened the screw. But perhaps this is normal.)

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

eSEB

#2 ·
Ran into a similar idle issue with a different vehicle in the past, turned out to be a leak in the air inlet elbow after the MAF sensor. I would recommend checking the seals and tubes on the air inlet tube/elbow between the TB and the MAF, look for cracks in the tube too. I dont know what the P0506 code means, sorry.

#3 ·
Did you lube the "O" ring seal on the IAC when installing it? If it is an O-ring, most are. When you install O-rings you have to lube them with a little compatible lube, like oil or vasoline. When they are dry the O-ring might get caught and stretched out of shape and NOT seal well.

You need to look up P0506 and see what it means, likely it is trying to clue you into the problem.

#5 ·
My wife's commander had the leak at the back of the elbow, causing the high idle fault. A Dodge dealer couldn't find it, even called Jeep corporate, and finally concluded it must be the computer! $2,000 installed (which we refused, of course).

She drove it that way for a long time, I had long forgotten about it. The fault still kept coming and going. She told me again, and I finally concluded it has to have a big leak after the AFM. I go out, start it, and hear the air rushing in. Easy to spot, I felt around and put my finger over the hole, the engine almost died until the IAC un-stuck itself, then it idled normally. Fixed today. $101 including part & labor. Elbow on the passenger side, back by the firewall. The hole was in the back.

Just wanted to post that follow up... So easy the dealer couldn't find it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.