Jeep Commander Forum banner

Muffler id/od size?

16K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JeeperSleeper 
#1 ·
looking to swap the muffler to a flowmaster super 50 SUV. ive been searching and searching here on the forums but cannot find the inlet diameter and outlet diameter of the stock muffler.

am i looking for 2.5" for both id/od???

#2 ·
-2.5" inlet / outlet
-offset inlet, center outlet

That's what my V-6 needed, should be the same for all engines though.

Reactions: Crash5433
#4 ·
The muffler I'm runnin' is called the Thrush Welded exhuast. It sounds the same as a Flowmaster 44, at just under half the price. I am very happy with the sound, as it really improves the sound of the V-6, without being to "rice-y" or obnoxiously loud.

What engine do you have? As that really affects muffler options.

Reactions: Crash5433
#7 ·
Does any one know if the flowmaster super 44 still has an "off road" option? I can't seem to find it online..
Also while I got your here, is this the same for the 4.7 v8's as well:-2.5" inlet / outlet
-offset inlet, center outlet

Thank you :)

#9 ·
I have the flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler 2.5/2.5 offset inlet center outlet . Sounds really good on my 4.7 liter

#12 ·
Bumping this back up.
Is 2.5" the correct size? Is that ID or OD?
What did you do about the mounting before the muffler. (the stock muffler mount) It looks like it bolts up to the exhaust manifold tubes. Do you just cut it off and slip the muffler over the tube or is there a after market mount to bolt it back on?
Or could you cut the mount off the stock muffler and weld/clamp it to the new one?
Which brings up another question. What clamps would you recomend?
I am not looking at a cat back system. I just need to replace the muffler.
I have not decided on which one. I would like something with a little better sound but not really loud.

#16 ·
This is not the right muffler.
2 1/2" would work alot better.
I had to use a adapters to install it.
By the way Napa has some really nice adapter, They are alot heavier but are pricey.
Sorry no pictures I forgot the camera.

#18 ·
Bringing this one back? I just purchased the flowfx muffler and will leave the resonator on for now to see how it does. If it’s too quite or minimal affect, I will remove the resonator and add a long tip. Has anyone used these flowfx mufflers? I want to install myself but don’t want 20 clamps in that one area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.