Jeep Commander Forum banner

Replacing Starter - HELP!

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tankman67 
#1 ·
Okay... my husband is currently removing the starter in my '06 Commander. He's hit a roadblock and beyond frustrated. Hopefully, one of you can help. My google skills are lacking today or I'm not searching properly. Unfortunately, I need my Jeep for tomorrow and at this point - not going to happen. Would like to at least have it completely removed before the sun goes down.

The yellow wire. How does that remove from the starter?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Sorry to hear That your having problems. My starter went a few months back in my 06. I took one look at it and said to myself no way am I going to be able to get at it! I had sears automotive do it! Lol! The we're actually pretty cheap. It took them all day. I talked to the mechanic after and he said it was terrible to get at! So I feel for your poor husband! I know I'm not much help sorry!

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thank you! Yes, he was NOT happy that it wasn't an easy fix and impossible to get at. The alternator is 7m old and battery a year old, so the starter is what we hope the problem is. Since it died in our driveway, we thought we'd give it a try first. He was out there until almost 9pm trying to get it out.

The engine is the 4.7L and did see those instructions online. When reading #13 (Push on connector release on side located near center of selonoid and it will pop off easily), he couldn't find the connector release. Then again he's a big guy and very likely he just couldn't get his hands on it. The wire connection snapped off at the starter, then it was just a matter of getting the starter to wiggle out.

Lets just hope that install goes much smoother and doesn't 6 hours!

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.