Jeep Commander Forum banner

What Roof Racks & Baskets are available for the XK?

97K views 168 replies 52 participants last post by  BBCBIRD 
#1 ·
I am just curious where i can find a decent priced roof rack and if anyone has any recomendations on which ones to go with. I would appreciate any help and any links would be great thank you all.

#27 ·
drysuitdiver said:
I did have to read it twice, then it made sense.

soooo how do the cables for the lights enter the passenger compartment.

I just don't like the idea of drilling holes into the roof and trying to seal it
Installation Instructions
Here are the installation instructions for Roof Mount driving lights. It shows how to wire the lights. From cwbbs.net There is another illustration there too.

#28 ·
drysuitdiver said:

I just don't like the idea of drilling holes into the roof and trying to seal it
This is how forum member Phunkeydude did his:

Phunkeydude said:
Finally got the lights wired up. Drilled thru roof under front black boot of the roof rail. Came down front windshield pillar under dash and thru engine wall to place relays and fuses by the fuse box in engine compartment. The firewall allready had a hole available with a rubber plug in it so I used that one. These KC lights are soooo bright I have dropped the idea of to smaller lights on the front bull bar.

#29 ·
One quick note about the Mopar rack (probably applies to others also): It will interfere with your satellite radio reception.

#112 ·
crap does the job

thanks Jeep5253.

tried the search but nothing sensible looking came back.

plus I had the boss ( not the wife the real boss who pays me :D ) looking over shoulder every few minutes.

the pics make sense now and looks like it might be something for the future.
how about a cargo hitch for $70 @Kragens made by Masterlock? It can fit 3 large luggages upright and you can buy bigger ones for a little bit more. It looks like crap but it does the job.

Attachments

#31 ·
I've experienced NO issues with my rack interferring with the Sirius radio reception. Parking garages on the other hand....well it's to be expected!

#32 ·
I plan to install a quick disconnect on my rail (as shown in above photo) so that I can uplug my lights and remove the rack easly.

#33 ·
a49erFootballFan said:
I plan to install a quick disconnect on my rail (as shown in above photo) so that I can uplug my lights and remove the rack easly.
Exactly what I'd like to do. When I had the Surco rack on my ZJ, I had 4 lights up there (2 flood, 2 spot).

I'd love to mount them up on the Commander, but don't want permanent wiring in places that would make it difficult to disconnect if I wanted to take off the rack. So some sort of "quick disconnect" is what I'm looking to do.

#34 ·
drysuitdiver said:
I did have to read it twice, then it made sense.

The wiring diagram for the OEM Mopar light bar shows the wires going in thru the roof under the front boot of the roof rails. From there they travel down the front drivers side pillar next to the windsheild. (Thanks Jeep5253 for pic post)

So I removed the front boot and drilled into the roof. When complete sealed it up real good with sealant and boot boot back on.

As for the Roof Rack I chose, it is the Off Road Unlimited "Defender" bolt together with extention piece and light bar. It came with brackets to mount right in the chrome roof tracks for a lower profile.

#36 ·
Cabellas Valley Industries Roof Basket

I picked up this cheap one at Cabellas, works good! It's not quite as nice as some of the others, but it does the job since I only use it for camping. The separate cargo net works great too. I'm thinking about getting the extension for it too.....

http://www.gettelmanbeer.com/photos/albums/upload/Misc/CommanderRack.JPG

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030692521626a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=roof+basket&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=roof+basket&noImage=0

#37 ·
We use a rack like you have on your bumper to haul bodies out of the desert.

#39 ·
Commander769, it's time to take the Christmas lights down.

#40 ·
a49erFootballFan said:
We use a rack like you have on your bumper to haul bodies out of the desert.
Ok, now thats got me thinking...
I was just going to say that I was going to be in Prescott at the end of the month for their world famous rodeo and maybe we could hit a trail but now I am not too sure...

#42 ·
Phunkeydude said:
Ok, now thats got me thinking...
I was just going to say that I was going to be in Prescott at the end of the month for their world famous rodeo and maybe we could hit a trail but now I am not too sure...
You know, it's part of the rule.... What ever you take in, you have to haul out. :)

#44 · (Edited)
#45 ·
I always remembered it as 50 sailors go out, 25 couples return.

Oh I'm sorry, wrong subject!!!

#46 ·
Phunkeydude said:
I always remembered it as "two men enter, one man leaves."
We have a saying... Mess with a Deputy and one of you is going to the hospital and and then jail and the other is going home(or a ride on the rack).

#47 ·
I was quoting The Eagles - Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise lyrics.....

"Go down, Bill Doolin, don't you wonder why
Sooner or later we all have to die?
Sooner or later, that's a stone-cold fact,
Four men ride out and only three ride back"

Is that by Sun Down, Sheriff?

#49 · (Edited)
#51 ·
Here's a couple of shots of the Yakima MegaWarrior with extension on mine. Found the rack on Craigs List for $200 - got it for $175, and the extension was $90 at Rackattack.com

#169 · (Edited)
I saw in posts #54 and #55 comments that the Yamika rack seems to sit high and that it could be because the XK has the "sport bars" rather then standard bars.

I just added a Loadwarrior to my XK yesterday and also though it sits kinda high. I wasn't aware that there was a "standard bar". Is that a factory part? Is it just a matter that the standard doesn't have a bow lift shape to it? I saw in post #59 that the standard rack really didnt help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.