Jeep Commander Forum banner

Code C1417 = Front Differential Control Circuit Low

22K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  H311B0Y 
#1 ·
I was intermittently getting the "Service 4WD System" light on my 2006 Hemi QDII over the past few days and finally downloaded the code: "C1417 Front Differential Control Circuit Low"

Anybody know what this means? Searches only come up with the error code which can be "low" or "high". I cleared it and will see if it comes back, but would like to know what I get to worry about now!

Thanks,

Dennis.

#2 ·
i got the same thing after a download from a dealer... anythoughts or ideas...? they said it could be front control module, differential solenoid, drive control nodule, or maybe a messed up wire. mine is a 2007 , built after the date on the TSB. the light came on while i was sitting in a parking lot, and put the trans in neutral, and pulled on the 4 wheel lo lever. i did NOT drive it. i then pulled up on it, and i the 4 wheel lo light went out. it was ok for about a week or so, then the SERVICE 4WD came on.

any advice will be appreciated. thanks.

#3 ·
Not a frequent poster here, but I came back to find out what I could about the C1417 DTC that my '07 is giving. This is the only thread I could find. Is that that uncommon of a problem? I had my local shop retrieve the code while doing some other work (tires & alignment), but have not investigated the cause or done any diagnostics.

If anyone has some experience, please post up!

Thanks.

Jim K in PA

#4 ·
C1417–FRONT DIFFERENTIAL CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW (CONTINUED)
The FDCM detects the Front Differential Solenoid Control is shorted low.
Possible Causes
FRONT DIFFERENTIAL SOLENOID
(T306) FRONT DIFFERENTIAL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(T306) FRONT DIFFERENTIAL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T301) SWITCHED BATTERY SOLENIOD SUPPLY OPEN/SHORTED TO GROUND
FDCM

#5 ·
I had this code. Replaced front diff solenoid and wiring harness. Problem solved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
3 things can cause this:if code is present but no drivability issues then its a trip to the dealer to get an update for your fdcm module.
if code is present and you have drivability issues ex:feel clunks in front when you turn or you feel the truck is stuck in 4x4 and wont let you turn you have to fight the steering wheel then its either the front diff locking solenoid with the little wiring harness thats inside the diff or the fdcm module.

front diff solenoid is the cheapest one with the harness sold separetly but the job itself is longer and messier search my threads and you will find part numbers you need and also theres a lot of tutorials and videos on here and the net

as for the module its pricier and you have to have the exact one or else it wont work and its a 15 min job to replace and very easy to access:lift the rear driver side seat as you would to let access for the third row seats theres a piece of carpet in the plastic molding lift and remove and you will see 2 modules its the second one the one towards the middle of the truck.you need to write down the number on it ex: 56044199AK
with that you should be able to find the right parts

good thing to do is to inspect wiring harness connectors at both module and solenoid for corrosion.

and in my opinion if you have drivability issues its most likely the module.its not sealed and over time moisture gets in or it doesnt take much a soft drink spilled snowy boots going to the third row ect..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.